Low HR Training

How much do I need to run to see the most benefits from LHR? (Read 514 times)

SurfNSB

I've been using the Maff method for the last 6 weeks and seeing some small improvement already. 

My question is, how much do I need to run at a minimum to see the most benefits to this?

And is there a minimum time I should run for on each run?

Right now my shortest runs are about 45 minutes and my longest runs usually 1:30 or 1:45. But I'm only running 3 days a week. So my weekly mileage is between 20-30mi. Is that too little?

I've been using the Maff method for the last 6 weeks and seeing some small improvement already. 

My question is, how much do I need to run at a minimum to see the most benefits to this?

And is there a minimum time I should run for on each run?

Right now my shortest runs are about 45 minutes and my longest runs usually 1:30 or 1:45. But I'm only running 3 days a week. So my weekly mileage is between 20-30mi. Is that too little?

I try to run/exercise 5-6 days a week.  To get 20 miles on three runs a week you must be running two 5 mile runs and one 10 mile run.  The long run as a percentage of weekly mileage sounds high (50%).  

I try to run at least 1 hour per day.

Try the no carb/sugar two week test.  Changing my diet (no processed foods) helped more than the running.  Both are necessary.

On the other hand, if you have time for only 3 runs per week I assume you will still see benefits, just not as fast.

Read Maffetone's books;  They will help.

Chris

SurfNSB

Thanks for the input.

I usually do a 5, an 8, and a 10 or 12 miler. Some weeks I hit 30 miles if I run a 4th day, some weeks I barely hit 20. I usually do have time to run 4-5 days a week, but I don't want to injure myself by doing too much. I was out for 4 months last summer with an Achilles injury and started back running in November. Even though I've been fine since starting back, I still am nervous about upping mileage because I have that memory of not running for months in the back of my mind. 

I might try to up my runs to 4 times a week with 3 one hour runs and then a long run and see how it goes. I just gotta quit being scared of that old injury Smile The good thing about the LHR training is that the slow paces probably contribute to less chance of injury.

SurfNSB

Also, which of his "Big Books" should I get:

The Big Book of Racing and Endurance or The Big Book of Health and Fitness?

I have both books.  Either will do.  Health and Fitness was published later. 

The basics are the same in both thus either will work.  Health and fitness is more of a "lifestyle" book.  I read Racing and Endurance first.  It has all you need.  After you read it, if you like is writing get Health and Fitness as well.

Chris