Low HR Training

Hello! Thanks for the resources! (Read 9 times)

Tachypsychia

Found this forum (Cool Running really) in an internet quest to prevent more injuries!

I started up running again this year after snowboard season ended in a quest to keep my leg strength (totally different muscles, big fail there) and to counteract some of the weigh gain after getting out of the military. I chose a half marathon as a goal since it was the most distance I'd run while active, in some kind of fun run, and I still remembered my time of 2:10:04 (even then I wasn't a great aerobic runner). So I took my time training up over the past 5 months, dieting and stepping my mileage up slowly to avoid injury. Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago, I got my first injury on the last run before vacation, a cross country road trip where I knew I wouldn't have time to run for a week. I decided to really push it and set a PR. It was a 5 mile run and I set record paces for 3, 4 and 5 mile runs. Yay me. However I came back with some knee pain that became intense as I rested more. It worried me, but I knew I was resting for a week so I just kept on. After a day I forgot I was injured, walking around was just like normal.

After vacation I had two light 3 mile runs in my training program left to do and ran them easy (I bet it was higher than MAF!) but the knee pain came back pretty fast. I wanted to rest up and find out what was going on, but race day was upon me and I trained too hard to just sit out right?
    The knee pain came back at about 4km in and I managed ok the rest of the run, didn't get worse or better. Post run the knee was extremely painful and it was hard to get around for a while. After doing some research at home, i settled on an ITB injury and have since decided to take it easy for a week and do some strengthening/stretching exercises, but also looking at injury free training to the marathon.

I came across LHR training/MAF training through a post on Cool Running, and it eventually lead me here after a few days of general reading. I feel like I'm pretty up to speed on the matter!

No random questions about will XX HR work for me or it it ok to not follow the program and do what I want kind of comment. Just wanted to say thanks for continuing to make the information easy to find after all these years and for you old hats at this, thanks for continuing to answer questions and keep logs for us to look at!  I'll be picking up a Polar H7 in the next few days and starting the Patience phase.  I have about 5 months before races start again in my area and I'm an avid snowboarder, so I hope I can at least get 8 weeks or so in before I ruin it all with a HIIT sport. 

Enough rambling, see you around the forum!

BeeRunB

Welcome, look forward to your posts.