Low HR Training

Back to MAF After 2 Years of Idle Bliss (Read 30 times)

Hello to everyone. It has been a number of years since I posted to this forum. My last time around JimmyB and the gang were very helpful and I am looking forward to getting back in the groove.

To update my background, I will be turning 60 in February of 2015 so I am using a MAF range of 111-121 and I do most of my training in West Virginia. My weight is considered optimal for my height.

Between 2008 and 2011, I completed three half marathons and two full marathons and a handful of 5K races. I didn't set any world records but I had a lot of fun. Unfortunately, by late 2011 and into the beginning of 2012, due to some pressing matters on the job, I let my running drop off of the radar completely.  Now I am trying to get it back and be better than ever.

During the spring of 2014, I officially started my comeback by doing a ten week Couch to 5K plan. I was amazed (or perhaps I should say stunned) at how difficult it was to just run for a minute at a time. But I stuck with the plan and now I am going 20-30 miles per week. Actually, the last week of November 2014 I did 34 miles. I would like to see my volume stay over 30 per week if I can but at my ridiculously slow pace, that is a lot of training hours.

I decided in October 2014 that it would be best to start following the MAF method as strictly as possible as I ramp up my volume. This would allow me measure my fitness statistically while avoiding injury. And again, I was stunned at how slow I had to run to keep my HR between 111 and 121. Honestly, my first week or two it was "run a little and walk a little" but I have stayed with it. Of course, the hilly terrain in my area makes it very difficult to keep the HR steady during my runs so walking up hills is a frequent encounter.

Here are the results of my first two MAF tests. I performed the tests on a standard 400 meter oval track in order to be consistent and also to eliminate any variability from the hilly terrain of West Virginia. By the way, my training volume for October was around 94 miles and my training volume for November was around 127 miles. Before each test I completed four laps of speed walking (about 15 minutes) in order to get my HR up close to my MAF range. The temperature was in the 30's each time.

Split 11/29/2014 11/01/2014
    1 12:48 13:58
    2 12:59 14:33
    3 14:03 14:46
    4 13:59 14:37
    5 14:01 14:52

Here are my observations so far.

1. I cannot speed walk and get my HR up to the lower end of my MAF range (111). Therefore, when I actually start my test, my HR is around 100 to 105 but it gets up to 111 pretty quickly once I transition from walking to running.
    2. After two months, I am finding that I have longer periods of time during my runs where I can run without slowing to a walk to keep my HR within the MAF range.
    3. For some reason and much to my surprise, during a MAF test, my fourth mile seems to be faster than my third mile. This could be an anomaly and future tests will be needed. But I am also noticing during my training runs that I seem to find a groove that I can hold onto around the fourth mile.

So, my questions are as follows.

1. If I continue this program into July of 2015 without any racing and maintain a volume of 30+ miles per week, what is a reasonable expectation of the first mile MAF pace that I can achieve? And no, I am not going to hold you responsible. 
    2. Is it possible that some of my improvement has to do with just learning how to run at the slower pace? I definitely feel like technique has made a difference but I have no way of measuring it. I do try to run with good form and land mid-foot during my paces.

Thanks everyone.

I intend to live forever . . . or die trying.

Welcome back to running and MAFing Teger.  I had stopped running like you also from late 2011 on till last quarter of 2014.  I am still trying to lose weight and getting back to running 20 miles per week first.  Plan to do some MAF training some time next year.

My suggestion to your MAF testing was do the warm up mile.  You can start by fast walking and steadily raise your heart rate, control your heart rate so you hit your MAF heart rate near the end of the warm up ( where you start to run) and start the test from there.

The other questions I am not going to be able to answer since I never personally train in MAF style for that long, but if I had to venture a guests, I would name 9:30 pace for your first mile by July 2015.

PS:

I am the first to reply because you can't count on the guys/gals here who tend to be quite taciturn.  The proof is that I post something like yours a while back and nobody bother to reply .

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/LOWHRTR/forum/7352d2b3e63a4b299d74b5429414c17d/resume#focus

Thanks Denali for your input.

If the chart that JimmyB posted a while back at http://www.runningahead.com/groups/LOWHRTR/forum/9dc7c4a4060d4ec2baac0976ddad9bf0 is reasonably accurate, I am sure that I would "die a happy man" if I got my MAF pace down to 9:30 at this stage of my life.

PS:

I am the first to reply because you can't count on the guys/gals here who tend to be quite taciturn.  The proof is that I post something like yours a while back and nobody bother to reply .

I'm responding because of this! I read this forum every day, looking for new posts but rarely post. I don't wanna say anything too stupid!

I dont have any long term experience with MAF so making predictions isn't my strong point. But that is some impressive improvement over one month. Looks like your body remembers how to run and the "muscle memory" might be helping you get back on track faster. I don't think 9:30 First Mile MAF pace is an unreasonable for summer 2015. Eat healthy, stress less, sleep more, and stick to your plan and progress is bound to come. It will be interesting to see your progress one month from now.

I'm sure you do become slightly more efficient at a slower pace with better form but I hardly think that would account for a 1 minute drop in your first MAF pace. I think it has more to do with adaptations happening inside your body.

I am 26, just broke into 30+ mpw and have to scale back (MAF regression) because I increased volume to quickly. I think regularly taking the MAF tests and adjusting your training is necessary to making progress.

Good luck Teger. Looking forward to seeing more progress like the MAF test you've posted.

Thanks everyone. I am still at it. Here are updated MAF test results. Interestingly, my first mile on 1/3/2015 was slower than for 11/29/2015. But the Avg Pace for the whole five miles was better. And I seem to be able to hold the pace for a longer period of time before the HR begins to drift upwards and forcing me to slow my pace in order to stay in the range 111-121.

Date Avg HR Avg Pace Mile 1 Mile 2 Mile 3 Mile 4 Mile 5
            11/1/2014 119 14:33 13:59 14:33 14:46 14:37 14:51
            11/29/2014 120 13:34 12:48 12:59 14:03 13:59 14:00
            1/3/2015 121 13:14 13:14 13:12 13:17 13:15 13:09

By the way, I love running in cold weather and I really struggle in the summer time. But I am wondering, if I continue to show decent improvement with my MAF scores over the next several months, will running in the hot weather become easier?

Next MAF test will be first weekend of February.

Date Avg HR Avg Pace Mile 1 Mile 2 Mile 3 Mile 4 Mile 5 Comments
              11/1/2014 119 14:33 13:59 14:33 14:46 14:37 14:51  
              11/29/2014 120 13:34 12:48 12:59 14:03 13:59 14:00  
              1/3/2015 121 13:14 13:14 13:12 13:17 13:15 13:09  
              2/7/2015 119 13:14 12:39 13:09 13:29 13:35 13:15 Missed a week during this cycle due to strained left quad.

A strained left quad caused me to miss a week. So not much improvement over last month. Hopefully my March MAF test will be better.

But this raises a question. In all my years of physical activity, I have never had a strained quad until now. I feel like I am changing my form in order to run so slow. Or, perhaps, I need to take it a little easier on the downhill portions of my runs.

Has anyone else had injury problems due to running so slow?