Low HR Training

low hr training and blood pressure (Read 236 times)

ymmv

ok, my evidence: I know that i'm not really doing MAF training 'right'. yet... but i am running many more low HR miles. my BP has always, always been in the 140/80 range, sometimes higher. when i was training for MCM last year, it was a lot higher. way too high! meds got it back into the 140/80s range for months since then, or maybe i'm not as stressed as i was before my first marathon... but now, suddenly, with the increase in low HR miles that i have been doing, my BP in the doc's office was 110/70. at home many hours after a run, it can be in the <90><60 range.="" i've="" never="" seen="" numbers="" like="" this.="" my="" resting="" hr="" is=""></60><60 now, too. again, never measured it that low before. i used to feel like every training run needed to show a pace improvement in order to be successful. now, i just lope along and enjoy the miles, and i can do it again tomorrow, and tomorrow, etc... i have to thank a pt who taught me how to not injure my back while running, and i want to thank willamona for posting in ra forums, showing her running log, and getting me to think about just what she was going that allows her to reach the goals that i want to reach. now,="" too.="" again,="" never="" measured="" it="" that="" low="" before.="" i="" used="" to="" feel="" like="" every="" training="" run="" needed="" to="" show="" a="" pace="" improvement="" in="" order="" to="" be="" successful.="" now,="" i="" just="" lope="" along="" and="" enjoy="" the="" miles,="" and="" i="" can="" do="" it="" again="" tomorrow,="" and="" tomorrow,="" etc...="" i="" have="" to="" thank="" a="" pt="" who="" taught="" me="" how="" to="" not="" injure="" my="" back="" while="" running,="" and="" i="" want="" to="" thank="" willamona="" for="" posting="" in="" ra="" forums,="" showing="" her="" running="" log,="" and="" getting="" me="" to="" think="" about="" just="" what="" she="" was="" going="" that="" allows="" her="" to="" reach="" the="" goals="" that="" i="" want="" to="" reach.=""></60 now, too. again, never measured it that low before. i used to feel like every training run needed to show a pace improvement in order to be successful. now, i just lope along and enjoy the miles, and i can do it again tomorrow, and tomorrow, etc... i have to thank a pt who taught me how to not injure my back while running, and i want to thank willamona for posting in ra forums, showing her running log, and getting me to think about just what she was going that allows her to reach the goals that i want to reach. >
    BeeRunB

112/60 Have you increased time/mielage? I've read reports that more time in aerobic zones can help BP. --Jimmy
      lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

Tom, A couple of years ago my bp reached a point of concern, and it is precisely why I began running. While I was never diagnosed with "high bp" it was certainly "pre-hypertensive". [>120/80 but <140 0]="" "new"="" standards="" rate="" anything=""></140><120/80 normal, and above that as "pre-hypertensive". 2 years of mostly lhr running did wonders for me, and i'm generally 115/65 or so, up to 125/68. of course i've seen some higher readings occasionally. i have a bp monitor at home that i keep at my desk, which i check often. i'm never complacent, as readings can change. one thing you'll observe is a large drop in readings following runs, but it is often only temporary, due to blood vessel dilation and a number of other factors. it's best to keep a log over a long period, taken at different times, in order to spot trends. so if you maintain close to 120/80 or under, you're golden. a recent electrocardiogram and echocardiogram proceedure i had wasn't all it should have been. a thallium stress test would probably be prudent, but i'm in a wait and see mode for now. again, i can't say enough about how wonderful running has been, and lhr running in particular. lg1 0="" normal,="" and="" above="" that="" as="" "pre-hypertensive".="" 2="" years="" of="" mostly="" lhr="" running="" did="" wonders="" for="" me,="" and="" i'm="" generally="" 115/65="" or="" so,="" up="" to="" 125/68.="" of="" course="" i've="" seen="" some="" higher="" readings="" occasionally.="" i="" have="" a="" bp="" monitor="" at="" home="" that="" i="" keep="" at="" my="" desk,="" which="" i="" check="" often.="" i'm="" never="" complacent,="" as="" readings="" can="" change.="" one="" thing="" you'll="" observe="" is="" a="" large="" drop="" in="" readings="" following="" runs,="" but="" it="" is="" often="" only="" temporary,="" due="" to="" blood="" vessel="" dilation="" and="" a="" number="" of="" other="" factors.="" it's="" best="" to="" keep="" a="" log="" over="" a="" long="" period,="" taken="" at="" different="" times,="" in="" order="" to="" spot="" trends.="" so="" if="" you="" maintain="" close="" to="" 120/80="" or="" under,="" you're="" golden.="" a="" recent="" electrocardiogram="" and="" echocardiogram="" proceedure="" i="" had="" wasn't="" all="" it="" should="" have="" been.="" a="" thallium="" stress="" test="" would="" probably="" be="" prudent,="" but="" i'm="" in="" a="" wait="" and="" see="" mode="" for="" now.="" again,="" i="" can't="" say="" enough="" about="" how="" wonderful="" running="" has="" been,="" and="" lhr="" running="" in="" particular.=""></120/80 normal, and above that as "pre-hypertensive". 2 years of mostly lhr running did wonders for me, and i'm generally 115/65 or so, up to 125/68. of course i've seen some higher readings occasionally. i have a bp monitor at home that i keep at my desk, which i check often. i'm never complacent, as readings can change. one thing you'll observe is a large drop in readings following runs, but it is often only temporary, due to blood vessel dilation and a number of other factors. it's best to keep a log over a long period, taken at different times, in order to spot trends. so if you maintain close to 120/80 or under, you're golden. a recent electrocardiogram and echocardiogram proceedure i had wasn't all it should have been. a thallium stress test would probably be prudent, but i'm in a wait and see mode for now. again, i can't say enough about how wonderful running has been, and lhr running in particular. lg1>
        ♪ ♫ Hey, hey, we're Maf Monkees And people say we monkey around. ♪ ♫ (The Monkees)
        Give me 12:59 in '09, please. I deserve it! (Maf of course)..No more teens! No more teens! (ME! ME! ME!)
        ♪ ♫ I Thank The Lord For The Night Time...And I Thank The Lord For You ♪ ♫ (Neil Diamond)
        lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

Tom, ETA: Please don't view my prior post as an endorsement to go off of any bp meds you may be taking. I'ts important to follow a doctor's advice closely with regard to bp meds. I'm sure you are aware of this. Forgot to mention that I lost some thirty odd pounds since taking up running also, which played a big part..should be running like a gazelle by now, but alas... I generally view advice offered on RA and similar sites as well intentioned and mostly accurate, yet it is always important to get professional guidance especially in areas of health, physiology, etc. I've learned more than I would have ever dreamed here on RA. I'ts been a true blessing. Now if I can only apply some of it. Hope you continue to have success with your running, Tom. Lg1
          ♪ ♫ Hey, hey, we're Maf Monkees And people say we monkey around. ♪ ♫ (The Monkees)
          Give me 12:59 in '09, please. I deserve it! (Maf of course)..No more teens! No more teens! (ME! ME! ME!)
          ♪ ♫ I Thank The Lord For The Night Time...And I Thank The Lord For You ♪ ♫ (Neil Diamond)