Low HR Training

Okay to train under MAF? (Read 46 times)

blue22

I'm relatively new to MAF (3 weeks) and simply cannot get comfortable running in my MAF heart beat range (180-age = 137 with a 10-beat buffer, so 127-137). I am more relaxed and able to get into a groove above 137 or below 127. I don't know, maybe this is a mental thing???

At any rate, I figure slower is better for LHR, but is there such as thing as too slow in the basebuilding phase? If I hang at say 123-125, am I still helping build aerobic fitness or am I just spinning my wheels?

(For reference, 43, F, 40-50K/wk runner for 5 years, no racing, no upcoming race plans. Strictly fitness, enjoyment, and injury prevention.)

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Your block may well be mental.

It may also be that - with your current level of fitness - you're not able to run a pace in the MAF range that allows you to maintain reasonable running form.

Above it, you may be "running." Below it, you may be "jogging." And, in it, you might be in a sort of biomechanical no-man's land.

For now.

As you develop your aerobic fitness, you will be able to run the sort of pace you're now hitting ABOVE 137 in your MAF range (i.e., going faster at a lower HR). At that point, running in your MAF range would certainly be more comfortable than it is at this moment.

To answer your second question - yes, you will still be building aerobic fitness exercising below your MAF range. However, as Maffetone says, probably not as quickly as you would working closer to your MAF HR.

Muscle contractions at this lower level of exertion are weaker (lower force production), so muscle fiber recruitment needs aren't as high ... the muscle fibers that ARE needed, just aren't being taxed particularly hard, so they're less prone to fatigue (less likely to cycle out of rotation, with other fibers cycling in - the recruitment pool is smaller).

You might consider continuing to run below 127 for now and adding in some alactic strides. These are 10-second bursts of high-intensity running followed by at least 2-3 minutes of recovery jogging/running at or below MAF.

These strides should not impair your aerobic development. By keeping them to 10 seconds, you're primarily using the alactic (phospho-creatine (PC)) energy pathway (which is good for 10-13 second of all-out effort), and avoiding the over-generation of lactic acid. The 2-3 minute jog allows the PC system to replenish and ready itself for the next round of intense activity.

The value of these strides is that they provide neuromuscular stimulation which recruits more fibers, increases force production, and trains biomechanical efficiency (good running form) than you get otherwise while jogging around at your sub-127 HR. IOW, it prepares your brain and body to run faster and may help accelerate your progress toward being able to run "comfortably" in your MAF HR range.

Liz

pace sera, sera

blue22

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I think you're right about my MAF range being a no man's land of sorts right now. It's just something I have to work through, I guess. I will start by adding strides in my next workout as suggested!

Judd67

Has there been any progress?

i find it enjoyable to run a few beats under my 132 maf.  I hope it's still helping me.

im just a couple weeks into this training, and I'm looking for as much feedback as I can find.

petert

Hi blue22:

I'm just throwing this out there...  Maffetone himself has claimed about an 85% success rate with people who follow his system.

It could be that your actual low-stress aerobic heart rate range is a bit below your MAF range, when given by his formula.

Maffetone's "180 - age" formula is just that.... an artificially-created formula based on his years of observations of runners.

I believe he compared his formula to the "220 - age" formula for maximum heart rate.  It may be accurate for a given individual, but it may not.

Also... he lists several +/- factors which go into his range based on previous fitness, injury, sickness, etc., and to always go with the most conservative number if not sure.

You will still be building fitness below, the only thing he advises you not to do is to exceed the upper limit of your MAF range. (and that is assuming that the MAF range is accurate for you)  If 123 to 125 feels good to you, I say stick with that.

That stride stuff sounds good, I want to hear how that went for you.