Low HR Training

Becoming more efficient (Read 234 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

I am sorry if this has already been answered, just need some clarity. I am into my seconds week of LHR training, and I am really enjoying it. No niggles, and for once I am really enjoying the runs. My question is that as I get a better aerobic base, and obviously this means that I can go faster at my MAF, does this therefore translate that I can go at the previous tempo paces at a lower HR? This will therefore adjust my tempo pace right?I am just worried that with all the slow running, how on earth will I be abe to run at the speeds I did before starting? My current PR for a 5k is just oer 20 minutes, and 42 for a 10K. After my base training, should I therefore be able to break these times, as I will be able to sustain pace more easily?

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

I haven't been at this much longer than you have, Eddy, but in my experience so far my fast paces have been improving, not suffering. I'm somewhat slower than you right now, though, so I may not be a great example. Running average HR below 156 on most runs since September 27. In those two months, my 3k time dropped from 11:51 to 11:31. This isn't super fast, but I improved with no speedwork, so yay me.
      sean