Low HR Training

Stupid question (Read 273 times)

but I'm going to ask anyways cause in the little time I have to research, I have yet to find the answer. I did my first LHR long run yesterday. I'm 39 and I averaged a heart rate for the full run of 138. Every mile (except first mile whre HRM went bizurk) was 141 or under. What I'm wondering is what about when you have a spike in hr like up to 147 or so during that mile. Does that matter? Or does it not as long as you average the target rate for that mile. Sorry bout the question, just don't have alot of time to find the answer right now. TIA, Pam

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

but I'm going to ask anyways cause in the little time I have to research, I have yet to find the answer. I did my first LHR long run yesterday. I'm 39 and I averaged a heart rate for the full run of 138. Every mile (except first mile whre HRM went bizurk) was 141 or under. What I'm wondering is what about when you have a spike in hr like up to 147 or so during that mile. Does that matter? Or does it not as long as you average the target rate for that mile. Sorry bout the question, just don't have alot of time to find the answer right now. TIA, Pam
      Since you almost ran 20 miles at a 138 average heart rate in 81 degree temps, you'll be just fine. You are probably already way ahead of most of us here as far as aerobic fitness. Your first mile was bizurk likely because your heart rate monitor strap was dry. Rub a little liquid soap on the strap so there is some lubrication between the strap and your skin and the bizurkness will disappear. Most try to minimize the spikes and stay under the target heart rate the whole time. It will get easier as you get more experience with LHR runs. Most here end up averaging 5 or 10 beats less than their MAF heart rate, and their spikes end up at or just under their MAF heart rate. Not everyone can do this their first (or second, or third...) try. Good luck.
        Thanks for the response Ace, much appreciated. I'll definitely try that trick with the strap.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I agree with Ace. If this run wasn't dreadfully slower than your usual "easy" runs, then you likely have a solid aerobic base already. As for the spike....don't worry about it at all. I spike a fair bit on some hills (up to +10) but tend to average at or below my "MAF" target on easy runs.