Low HR Training

Aerobic HR has jumped 10-15 bpm in two weeks! Now what? (Read 19 times)

dwillens

I have been running regularly for the past five years, 30-40mpw.  52 years old.  My resting HR was down to 42 and my typical easy aerobic workouts have been in the 8:30-9:00 range with an HR typically in the low 140s.  My HR for a recent half marathon (1:42:12) was 162.  In the past month, I have a had a couple of issues crop up: 1) I got a pinched nerve in my right shoulder; 2) my stress level went through the roof as a result of some issues at work.  I am not aware of any other issues that would effect my HR, but my resting HR has now gone up into the mid-50s.  The past few weeks I have cut back on my mileage but those same workouts in the 9:00 range (same basic conditions) I am now seeing average HRs in the 150s and long runs are getting into the 160s.  I am in base phase now so I can do easy runs, but really?  I am supposed to go back to 10:00 pace to get my HR back down to the same previous 140ish HR?   Any thoughts would be appreciated.  I am assuming (hopefully correctly) that this is a temporary situation related to stress etc and my HR will go back down to its previous range.  I don't think it is a medical issue.

BeeRunB

My personal experience with an onslaught of unusually high stress is about 10-20 beats slower, sometimes worse. Think of it as a huge addition to your training load (in a hormonal way). If you keep at MAF, even though it's a 10:00 pace, this will help reduce the overall stress (as compared to running at 9:00 with the elevated HR). Your heart rate doesn't lie. You're body is under a greater stress, and until that resides, cutting back a little is wise. Even MAF-10 might be better.  It's easy to enter overtraining mode during this period. It's already showing up in your RHR. A good rule of thumb is that if it's 5 beats or more over normal, then rest or keep the run short and MAF.  So, tread carefully until the stress eases and you start to see progress again.

Once the stress gets back to normal, it'll take about a little while to get it back. During the periods I went through, in which my running was cut down dramatically (I cut back consciously, but also didn't have any time to run---so lots of days off). it took about 5-7 weeks to get fitness back. Just look for progress in aerobic speed.

Have you been feeling okay? Your energy? Legs feel normal?

BeeRunB

p.s. this is the beauty of HR training. You see there's something stressing your body, are alerted, and can respond to it. Sometimes problems show up in the HR first, before the proverbial gasket is blown.

dwillens

Thanks.  I cut my mileage down dramatically in June (about 50%), as you said because I was trying to take a break but also because I was so busy.  I now have some workouts where my HR is in the usual low 140s, but more often than not much higher.

Otherwise I feel fine.  Energy level is fine.  Legs feel great from the reduced mileage.  And although I can feel the difference in HR, it does not feel nearly as difficult as runs at those high HRs would normally feel.  For example, this morning I did 8 miles @ 9:00 pace.  It basically **felt** in perceived effort like a moderate aerobic workout, maybe a little harder towards the end.  But that same 160s HR in normally training I would definitely be feeling it in my legs, in my breathing, etc.  So I see the stress in my high HR but I don't see it anywhere else.

I understand your point about basically getting a "hormonal" push of added training stress when I am running at these high HRs.

As an aside, I track my resting HR on a daily basis and it was very very obvious on my graph where my HR went off the rails.  It was the day after I almost quit my job.  Very eerie the way it showed such a dramatic and obvious change in just a couple of days.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/29y1m0e0v07sz0h/2016-07-08%2016.33.17.png?dl=0

BeeRunB

The elevated RHR is telling you something, especially if it's continual. The body is under a greater stress at rest. It could be several things. Make sure you're keeping up on Vitamin D, magnesium, zinc, and the main electrolytes like potassium, sodium and calcium. Runners tend to get low on these things, and deficiencies might play a part in overtraining. Abnormally high mental stress definitely zaps magnesium.  Take your pulse manually and make sure the rhythm is regular. If it's off a bit, like a palpitation, this can be a sign that your magnesium and other electrolytes are low. Some runners can develop irregular heart beats due to deficiencies.

It's also easier to overtrain in the summer. 40 miles per week when it's cool in 50º, is a whole other animal in 80º. High temperatures can place a huge amount of stress on the body. Electrolytes can get low very fast.

Ketosis (50 carbs or less a day will put you in ketosis) can raise RHR as well. I've seen that before.

If the elevated RHR doesn't abate after the stress subsides, and after you've taken enough recovery, and made sure your minerals and vitamins are up to snuff, a visit to the doc might be in order.

Running as a lifelong passion is indeed a journey, Dwillens. There are going to be times when it's difficult, and it feels like you're in a valley from which you'll never get out. Listening to your body is the always the way out. It's always telling you when you need to cut back, or that it needs something. Reduced  MAF speed and elevated RHR are two very loud voices, that when ignored are just preceding the much louder, more painful voices of injury, OT, or "other".

Hope you work it out, and that it turns around.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

6 miles HR 111 / 122

Now to stop being a weekend warrior

Strength training getting easier. Will move up to 4 sets of 15 instead of increasing weight limit.

runtheatl 20 mile tomorrow

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

dwillens

Thanks very much jimmyb.  Your insight is much appreciated!