Low HR Training

MAF test was faster than I thought it should be? (Read 35 times)

Hello -

I have a friend that told me about Maffetone training, and after a lot of investigation, I decided to try it out. I am a 38 year old male.. I've been running for ~ 3 years now (I ran for ~20 years, then got lazy, but started back again in 2012). These have been my recent times for the last 1.5 years:

half marathon: 1:42
    marathon: 4:16 (cramped @ mile 22 but pushed)
    50k: 5:36 (bad quad cramp @ mile 25)
    50 mile: 11:36

So according to the guidelines set up by Dr. Maffetone, my MAF was 142 bpm. I run predominately longer distance trail races, so I'm not so big on pace, but I've blown up at some, and I think I was going too hard, hence my interest in my method.

I did my MAF test this Saturday (on a nice humid gulf coast afternoon) and got a surprising result (or at least surprising to me!) -

full disclosure - my HR went a little above sometimes, by 1 to 3 beats, but I always just eased back and it still averaged out the same.

20 min warm up @ 11 min/mi approx
    mile 1: 8:15 min/mi (ave 139, max 145)
    mile 2: 8:27 min/mi (ave 141, max 143)
    mile 3: 8:45 min/mi (ave 141, max 144)
    16 minute cool down @ 11 min/mi approx

This is significantly faster than I usually run my training runs. I usually do my training runs @ 9:30 - 10 min/mi paces. I suppose my training runs are probably a 1 or 2 on the RPE scale. The MAF test didn't feel hard as much as it was faster than I'm used to going. Is this normal??

My understanding is that for my training runs that I should be (MAF - 10 bpm, MAF) for a HR range.

thanks for any feedback!!

Bandera 100k 2015 or bust!

npaden

There is a chart somewhere that correlates your MAF pace to a 5K race equivalent and then someone plugged that into some running calculators and got some other race distances predictions as well.

Based on your MAF times you should be much faster for your race times.  That either means your MAF is too high or you aren't performing well on your races.

My MAF pace is closer to 9:15 and I'm hoping to run a 1:38ish HM this weekend.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

In retrospect, some of my longer races (marathon and fifty mile) I had back to back races and poor pacing- hence the cramps. I figure I'm willing to give this a good year try and see what happens.

I was surprised as much of what I've read is that many people end up having to slow down, not speed up!

Bandera 100k 2015 or bust!

Based on your MAF times you should be much faster for your race times.  That either means your MAF is too high or you aren't performing well on your races.

Hello Npaden

This may be the information to which you are referring. It was posted by JimmyB several years ago. I hope this helps.

Using MAF tests as Race Pace Predictor (2nd Edition)

I intend to live forever . . . or die trying.

HellMetOS

The exercises are very good. The owner should not use too much effort to practice Sonic exe. Relax, you will get good results.

tyhara

HI Snow Rider 3D,

I've come to the conclusion that I'm prepared to give this a full year's worth of effort and then see the results.