Low HR Training

Tim Noakes on Ben Greenfield Podcast (Read 667 times)

stephenmarklay

I listed to this yesterday and found it pretty interesting.  I liked "some" of what what said but he does really go against the Maffetone grain completely and I thought he was really reaching.

Anyone listen?

I can't find any transcript for this. could you sum up which points were against the maffetone ideas? thanks

stephenmarklay

Your really have to listen or get the notes. as it was pretty vast.  It was about his central governor theory which in I think has some merit.

The biggest thing that does not agree with Maffetone is that is intensity not volume that determines the best runners.

He states to train your brain to live with the pain (of racing) you have to train with high intensity.  Not those exact words but in principle.

I found the podcast at the following link:

http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2011/03/episode-138-tim-noakes-tells-you-how-you-can-use-the-central-governor-to-tap-into-your-muscles-hidden-potential/

I enjoyed listening. The interview starts half way through the podcast. I did not totally buy into all that was said, but certainly agree that the brain is the most important organ needed for optimal running performance. The idea is that the brain is the central governer and that it prevents us from over doing it, probably long before we really are overdoing it. 

I liked the quote that sometimes we train to train instead of training to race. Talked about muscle recruitment being an important thing and that intensity is needed rather than just easy volume to get that. I know that last fall I experienced that with some hill running that I had incorporated. Talked about how leg strength is very important, and that is what gives us speed, etc. 

They did not talk about caffiene affecting the central governer function of the brain, but I feel like I have experienced that. I think I found that too much caffiene interfered with it, in my experience. I found that when I was too dependant on caffiene, that there were times where it was difficult to run. Once I gave up coffee, I found that I did not experience these periods so much. I also found that some coffee before a race, helped a lot to get to maximum effort.

Your really have to listen or get the notes. as it was pretty vast.  It was about his central governor theory which in I think has some merit.

The biggest thing that does not agree with Maffetone is that is intensity not volume that determines the best runners.

He states to train your brain to live with the pain (of racing) you have to train with high intensity.  Not those exact words but in principle.

where can I find the notes or whatever transcript? listening not an option for me.

maffetone does say that for competitive athletes, anaerobic training phase is needed to get the best possible performance.

so I don't see a disagreement so far.

and about the pain of racing, yes you need to be able to handle it to get the best result out of your race

To read more about Noakes' ideas get his book The Lore of Running. It's a great book... you might not agree with everything he says, but there's lots to think about.

Incidentally, for another audio interview with Noakes: http://www.marathontalk.com/archive/2010/12/1/episode-47-prof-tim-noakes.html

To read more about Noakes' ideas get his book The Lore of Running. It's a great book... you might not agree with everything he says, but there's lots to think about.

Incidentally, for another audio interview with Noakes: http://www.marathontalk.com/archive/2010/12/1/episode-47-prof-tim-noakes.html

I already have his book. I was curious about the podcast itself, but if it is all in the book then I didn't miss anything. Smile

I already have his book. I was curious about the podcast itself, but if it is all in the book then I didn't miss anything. Smile

Ah right... I haven't actually listed to the podcast. I did start, but the way the guy name-checked his website every 15 seconds (or so it seemed) irritated me too much.