Low HR Training

2014 Losing The Blubber Suit Body Fat Reduction Support Thread (Read 67 times)

BeeRunB

Yo-yo Man here. I still don't pass the bellybutton test (Crusted Salt comic #117). But I'm moving in the correction direction. We used to have a weight-loss thread here, but it's faded into the back pages of this forum. It's time to replace it with a shiny new one!

It's not so much weight-loss we're looking for here, though that's important. The main thing is body fat reduction. The more fat you are, the slower you are at the same HR. Extra fat is like wearing a winter jacket while you run, in the summer.  We don't dissipate heat, and that slows us down. So think 60% inches/cm and 40% pounds/kilograms/stone. Lose fat, not muscle (unless you're intentionally pumping down).

I find this body fat calculator good enough for my purposes. It's not as accurate as the tests you get in a lab, but close enough, and it's all relative to the starting point anyway.

Hopefully, some of you will join in. Report weekly or bi-monthly. Share tips and stories.

I've dropped weight since the peak of my YoYo swing in 2012:

Date Weight Body Fat % Fat lbs.
    8/27/12 193.0 30.6% 59.1
    1/13/14 181.2 26.2% 47.5

Let's gooooooooooooooooooo!

Jimmy

AlexVan

I am on this one with you jimmi!!! Smile I lost one kilo this year already, but up 4 from September, mostly due to reduced running volume Sad

Date Weight Body Fat % Waist to Hip Ratio (WHR)
      1/13/14 213.6 26.5% according
      to withings
      wifi scale
        .95   (Waist / Hip) 

I added WHR because that is easy way for some to focus on fat loss... Hope I am not clouding up your post...

Plan, 98% gluten free, goal to run 40k per week minimum for 2014, and don't eat after 8:00pm... Keep sugar intake at responsible level.

I am motivated and running a lot now!!! Let's make 2014 a great running year!!!

BeeRunB

Hey Alex,

I weigh myself everyday, as it keeps me on track, and there's good information to be gotten from it. For example, I ate a bowl of ramen out of one of those packages you buy from the Asian market, which I haven't done in years. The next day, I was nearly 5 pounds heavier.  All water weight. The ramen noodles suck up a ton of water, and the pound of salt one eats in a bowl of packaged ramen puts the body in retention mode. Took about 3 days to return to the weight I was before I ramenized myself.

I'm not gluten-free, but pretty much so, but not as an intention. Nor am I low-carb anymore in the ketone-adaption training sense (basically staying in Atkins ketosis zone forever). I tried that and it was unworkable for me. Just trying to stay away from sugar and things in shiny attractive packages that want to destroy me. And too much salt. And ramen (shiny package). And Kit Kats (sugar and shiny package). And energy bars (a.k.a candy bars with added vitamins......sugar and shiny package).

On we go. Let us be role-models. LOL.

AlexVan

Yeah Jimmi have you checked out the withings scale?  This is the coolest thing, just stand on it and it does all the tracking for you automatically.  When I am focused on weight loss I also track everyday.

Alex Weight

BeeRunB

Every see one of these? Very accurate for getting waist size. 

How does you scale know your body fat from just standing on it, without measurements?

AlexVan

It uses electric impulse speed to go through your body for some people it can be very accurate, for me it seems like it is semi-accurate most of the time, at least it is automatically tracked even if it is wrong Smile  Hard to say how accurate I have not been dunk tested.  Calipers are too painful.  Yes I use measuring "advanced" version of that tape measure also. I agree this is best / easiest indicator of fat loss. That is why I added WHR above... Smile

5$ free shipping with prime Smile

http://www.amazon.com/AccuFitness-MT05-MyoTape-Body-Measure/dp/B000G7YW7Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389636192&sr=8-1&keywords=body+tape+measure

Runslowalksalot

Jimmy B, that is the most sensible diet that I've ever heard!   I'm on day 9 of my 2 week no carb test.   I'm starting to feel better, and I've lost 3 lbs!!!  Of course I was already on a weight loss streak down from an all-time high of 209 in November to 193 before starting the test. I'm 5'11" with a body fat of 16.5% as measured by the hand held electrical impulse tool at my Gold's Gym.   My goal is 185 with no loss of functional  strength..   I haven't seen that number since high school.   My strength in the gym is still good, but MAF runs are slower.   I did a 6 mile paddle  last week and felt like pure shit the last mile.  I've got a prone paddleboard race this Saturday, and believe I'm going to abandon the test 2 days early and have a pre-race dinner of a  brown rice/organic chicken bowl at our favorite health food place, Epic food Co.   That with my tried and true endurance breakfast of steel cut oats with eggs mixed in should fuel my race.

Funny thing about prone paddling, even my hardest effort doesn't reach my MAF heart rate!

C-R

Good idea jimmyb and I am on the train.

1/14/14 - 19.7% by measurement and 19.3% from the scale. Hmmm. I will track both and see how they correlate.

On On

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

BeeRunB

Jimmy B, that is the most sensible diet that I've ever heard!   I'm on day 9 of my 2 week no carb test.   I'm starting to feel better, and I've lost 3 lbs!!!  Of course I was already on a weight loss streak down from an all-time high of 209 in November to 193 before starting the test. I'm 5'11" with a body fat of 16.5% as measured by the hand held electrical impulse tool at my Gold's Gym.   My goal is 185 with no loss of functional  strength..   I haven't seen that number since high school.   My strength in the gym is still good, but MAF runs are slower.   I did a 6 mile paddle  last week and felt like pure shit the last mile.  I've got a prone paddleboard race this Saturday, and believe I'm going to abandon the test 2 days early and have a pre-race dinner of a  brown rice/organic chicken bowl at our favorite health food place, Epic food Co.   That with my tried and true endurance breakfast of steel cut oats with eggs mixed in should fuel my race.

Funny thing about prone paddling, even my hardest effort doesn't reach my MAF heart rate!

Keep going, man! Good luck in the event.

"hand held electrical impulse tool"

Sounds like something an old girlfriend used to use...

Jimmy

BeeRunB

Good idea jimmyb and I am on the train.

1/14/14 - 19.7% by measurement and 19.3% from the scale. Hmmm. I will track both and see how they correlate.

On On

Welcome to support, Mr. Sub 20%.

Keep going, skinny.

C-R

Welcome to support, Mr. Sub 20%.

Keep going, skinny.

Heh. I've been reading and following the "4 Hour Body" process with some great results. Slow carb with one cheat day. Went from 182 or so to 164 in three months with steady miles. Best part is I'm focusing on body fat % and not the weight. Good healthy foods too.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

npaden

Using the calculator in the link I'm at 24.2% body fat and I weigh 208 on the scale here at the house.

Would like to get my body fat % under 20 and get down to 195 by the end of the summer.

That means I need to lose 3" around my belly and drop 15 pounds.  Seems reasonable.

Not really planning on following any diet plan, just need to cut out most of the junk food I've been eating since I started running and get back to logging 40+ mile weeks again.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

AlexVan

Jimmy wow some how I missed the link to your calculator... Using that I am 22.9% Smile I like that much better than my scale...

AlexVan

Hey C-R yes that is a very interesting book... a few years back I followed some of it and it helped me loose about 10 pounds.  I still eat more cinnamon because of that book Smile and try to reduce the amount of high glycemic food.

Heh. I've been reading and following the "4 Hour Body" process with some great results. Slow carb with one cheat day. Went from 182 or so to 164 in three months with steady miles. Best part is I'm focusing on body fat % and not the weight. Good healthy foods too.

BeeRunB

Jimmy wow some how I missed the link to your calculator... Using that I am 22.9% Smile I like that much better than my scale...

You're banned!

(you were required to click all links)