Low HR Training

Fast work can interfere with and possibly set back progress: why? (Read 37 times)

Hello, I tried this method last summer (Mittleman, and will again next summer). I would like to understand exactely why fast work can "interfere with and possibly set back progress" (from the FAQ). Ok it interferes with the development of the aerobic base, but why and how?

Thank you

BeeRunB

Hello, I tried this method last summer (Mittleman, and will again next summer). I would like to understand exactely why fast work can "interfere with and possibly set back progress" (from the FAQ). Ok it interferes with the development of the aerobic base, but why and how?

Thank you

It doesn't always, it depends where you are at in your fitness and health. If you been working aerobically for awhile and seeing progress, and you add a tempo run in every week, you'll most likely see continued progress. Sometimes it's the kick in the aerobic pants you need to get off an extended plateau. I've seen this in my training.

I've also seen in my training when adding anaerobic work at the wrong time, a regression in aerobic pace, sleep patterns disrupted, and just not feeling right.

Remember that Maffetone built his rep and practice on getting broken athletes back to health and good performance. He saw that athletes with wrecked aerobic systems, or overtrained and injured, couldn't tolerate anaerobic work until they rebuilt their aerobic systems. They would see regression in aerobic speed, and often head back to the state of overtraining. I do believe I've heard him (and Lydiard) speak about that the lactic acid and the stress hormones produced during intervals and other anaerobic work as not being good for the aerobic system if done too much (just as the stress hormones from high mental stress can decimate the aerobic system).  Especially for beginners, longtime runners who are out of shape coming back to running, and anyone who has overreached or overtrained.

This is why the MAF test is so important. It's really up to you when you decide to add speed work. If you stay in touch with your aerobic speed with a test every 2-4 weeks, you'll see if the anaerobic work is helping the aerobic system or hurting it. If you're regressing in pace at MAF, it's hurting it. If you're getting faster, you're fine.

Keeping track during race season is also important. If you race often, you might find that you reach a point where you're aerobic pace is regressing, and it might be a good time to go back to staying below MAF for awhile until you've rebuilt it.

Hope this helps. 

Ok thank you Jimmib: it sure helps! But I still don't understand, from a physiological point of view, what happens: why it can interfere during the building of the aerobic base? Can only some lactacid acid produce those effects? Is it a muscular impact? a metabolic impact? a cardiac one?

BeeRunB

There is a bunch of stuff on Google about how cortisol  (the stress hormone) breaks down muscle after awhile, which is basically what your aerobic system is. High mental stress and too much exercise (for your current state) both can lead to a break down, due to high levels of cortisol. This will be reflected as reduced pace at MAF.

As for the lactic acid question. I don't find much at all supporting that it is the cause of muscle breakdown. Lactate seems to be a good thing.

My experience tells me it is total stress on the body and mind that adds up to a breakdown in the aerobic system (or complete lack of exercise, of course). Someone might be doing very well and progressing, but then suddenly mental stress levels go through the roof for an extended period, perhaps due to work, family, finances, etc., then they soon find they're slower at the same heart rate. Just from the added levels of cortisol, and other effects from the stress. Think of it as your total training load. Total training load=exercise+mental stress (and your total stress hormone load on the body).

Just as some people can handle a boatload of mental stress at any given time, some people can handle a ton of exercise at a given time, but at other times, it's just a little too much. Adding speed work to an existing total training load might be the straw that breaks the aerobic camel's back, just like adding that one extra thing in your life that completely stresses you out can do.

I can't get any more technical than this. If you want the complete science, Google cortisol and the aerobic system, and I'm sure you'll find all the technical you need. 

On Maffetone's book i find:
            "how do anaerobic training, competition, or other stresses interfere with aerobic development?
            - Stress of any type can interfere with the aerobic system by raising the hormone cortisol. High cortisol can interfere with many physiological
            processes in the brain, muscles, and metabolism that are necessary to develop aerobic function and endurance.
            - High cortisol levels, a common marker of overtraining, also increases insulin levels, inhibiting the fat-burning process necessary for aerobic muscles to work well.
            - Anaerobic training can decrease the number of aerobic muscle fibers, sometimes significantly. This can happen in just a few short weeks.
            - Anaerobic training raises your respiratory quotient, meaning that fat burning is reduced and sugar burning is increased, encouraging further use of anaerobic function and less aerobic activity.
            - Excessive amounts of lactic acid produced during anaerobic training may impair aerobic muscle enzymes, reducing aerobic function.
            - Anaerobic training typically causes athletes to consume more refined carbohydrates because of an increased craving for sugar. This can increase insulin levels and further interfere with fat burning, reducing aerobic function."

ok... but it's like if I can't get completely satisfied...

Does some speed work once a week produce so much stress? (1, 2)

Does some speed work once a week decrease aerobic muscle fibers? (3)

Does some speed work once a week "raises your respiratory quotient" that much? and when in the competition period, often lasting some months, won't speed works set back all aerobic progress? (4)

Does some speed work once a week produce "excessive amounts of lactic acid"? (5)

Ok I am still a bit confused

BeeRunB

Keep it simple. Do MAF tests. Try speedwork, and if your speed at MAF gets faster, you're handling it. If you start to get slower, back off and do just aerobic work for awhile. After enough time goes by you'll start to learn where your MAF speed has to be in order to begin racing or speed work.

If MAF pace is progressing, what you're doing is good for you, if not,  not so good.  And of course, listen to your body.  Don't run when you're really exhausted. It's that simple.