Low HR Training

Treadmill test to determine MAF (KPH) (19 tests) (Read 2783 times)

Ginsling

Slowpoke

Thanks for that, Jimmy.

Patience is an artform! Smile

You nail it with the comment about building up volume injury-free.  In the past I would jump back to training with running, swimming, cycling, and weights and within two weeks I would have a nice dose of some bug (my immune system always jacks up first) that would have me floored for a week or so, then I would be back at it.....until the next bug....or until I stopped training as much (unconsciously - not in relation to the training-illness syndrome).  I would pretty much always do sprints as part of whatever training I was doing and never even thought about HR.

I might end up doing the RQ and lactate tests....or not.  It's more of a curiosity aspect than anything else.  Of course, any excuse to train at a higher HR as well Smile.

My typical run pattern (before MAF) was a very slow warm up, speed up a bit, slow down a bit, speed up a bit, slow down a bit, slog it up a hill and run full pelt down, slow down a lot, stay slow for a while....and that would be whether it was a 5km or 10km or longer distance....with a fairly slow cadence because my pace has become so slow over the years (I used to run long distance as though I were sprinting ie high knees and long strides).  Training now at an even slower pace but with a higher cadence is easier on the joints, especially for building up the distance, but it doesn't feel like my natural gait (and it certainly works the hamstrings and the calves!).  The pool session yesterday was super enjoyable because I could run how I feel I naturally run Big grin and that's something to add in weekly as well - plus the HR stays sooooo low - bonus!

Tachypsychia

I've been interested in doing this test for a while but havent had the time to commit to it.

The wife and I did ours together tonight.

Im 26, almost 27 so lets use that instead. 180-27 for a MAF of 153. I train no higher than 149.
      I see that i get the biggest plateau around 155-156 so assume that I'm training in the right area. Not sure what happened at the 145 mark with the dip though. I should have gone max heart rate but it was really hot and muggy in the gym. Interesting to see the flat line at 187bpm for so long too. 

mohdyusuf

I have a marathon in less than two weeks, i thought i would try this out.

I had only started doing MAF for 2.5 months; my MAF (5 miles avg) page came down from 9:32mpm to 8:36mpm.

Below is my HR test, I am 32 (will be 33 in 3 months), I have been training at MAF HR at 148.

- It seems I may have actual MAF at 147.

- My LTHR may be at 170. Based on Strava and other tool estimates my LTHR around 171.

- Any idea what are those at 165 HR and 137 HR?

Base on this test, I am planning to run first half around 155-165. Then 165-170 till mile 22/23. Does that sound reasonable?

BeeRunB

Thanks for posting the test. 148 is fine to use. This test is not the epitome of science and created to confirm that there is a deflection point or plateau around the calculation of 180 formula.  In your case, it's right on the money. Maffetone states in The Maffetone Method book that you can use the same MAF for up to 5 years, as long as you're healthy and injury free, if you're not then an adjustment might be in order to reduce hormonal stress on the body (the purpose of the -5 or more beats adjustments). If you're doing well for a few years, you can even try to add 5 beats.

I'm not sure what these other plateaus are, but we tend to see them about ten beats higher than 180-age, and sometimes lower. I'm not sure why plateaus in HR happen. I theorize it has something to do with an initial helping effect from the recruitment of more fibers (either a different type, or more of the same), but that's just a guess. Some people see one around their anaerobic threshold, again where a different set of fibers are getting recruited, and you're nearing 100% glycogen or sugar for fuel, and no fat at all.

So, if I were you, I'd be confident in the 148, and go forth making sure to do regular MAF tests through all phases of training and racing, and keeping tabs on how you feel (if you're exhausted, take some rest).

Good luck in the marathon!

p.s. might want to read this---it's related

I have a marathon in less than two weeks, i thought i would try this out.

I had only started doing MAF for 2.5 months; my MAF (5 miles avg) page came down from 9:32mpm to 8:36mpm.

Below is my HR test, I am 32 (will be 33 in 3 months), I have been training at MAF HR at 148.

- It seems I may have actual MAF at 147.

- My LTHR may be at 170. Based on Strava and other tool estimates my LTHR around 171.

- Any idea what are those at 165 HR and 137 HR?

Base on this test, I am planning to run first half around 155-165. Then 165-170 till mile 22/23. Does that sound reasonable?

mohdyusuf

Thanks jimmyb, that post (Does sugar burning increase when running at a steady pace? MAF as a zone and an experiment...) makes a lot of sense.

Your data does show the same trend as data presented in Bob Seebohar's book (Sunny Blende discussed that data here http://www.ultrarunning.com/features/metabolic-efficiency-becoming-a-better-butter-burner/ Wink.

Sunny mentioned that for that athlete, the best fat burning region is around 143-165 HR.

It makes sense, we are humans, there is no ON or OFF switch here. It is fuzzy logic Smile

I havent done ME test yet, but if I were to guess, my range would fall in that 147-165 HR as well. I will use this as guideline for majority of my marathon; and run that last 3 miles with my heart.

BeeRunB

Thanks jimmyb, that post (Does sugar burning increase when running at a steady pace? MAF as a zone and an experiment...) makes a lot of sense.

Your data does show the same trend as data presented in Bob Seebohar's book (Sunny Blende discussed that data here http://www.ultrarunning.com/features/metabolic-efficiency-becoming-a-better-butter-burner/ Wink.

Sunny mentioned that for that athlete, the best fat burning region is around 143-165 HR.

It makes sense, we are humans, there is no ON or OFF switch here. It is fuzzy logic Smile

I havent done ME test yet, but if I were to guess, my range would fall in that 147-165 HR as well. I will use this as guideline for majority of my marathon; and run that last 3 miles with my heart.

You're welcome, and thanks for that link. I'll check it out.

Good luck! 

BeeRunB

I read the article, and like many writers out there, he doesn't understand what the MAF is. It's not an attempt to calculate the " precise heart rate when you make that switch from burning more carbohydrates than fat." It's the point where your anaerobic fibers begin to be recruited, causing an increased use of sugar. My MAF is well below the 50-50% fat/sugar point.