Low HR Training

Newbie questions (Read 328 times)

I am a new runner (since August). I am currently running about 25 miles per week and plan to increase that number to about 40 through the winter. I am seriously considering training exclusively at LHR for that period. I am not sure if LHR running is appropriate for me at this milage level or or only for runners at 50+ mile/week. I am also uncertain what HR to run at to get maximum benefit as a 41 year old male. If I use the 180 formula, I calculate that my HR should be at 139 bpm. Is this reasonable? I have read that these calculations are often not appropriate for 40+ yo people. I plan to do exclusive base building for four months, then incorporate some speed work into my training for the summer racing season. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    t_runner

That's great that you're up to 25 miles a week as a relatively new runner! I can't speak to all your questions, as I have just started using this method over the last few months, but I think that at the very least, it will help you get that mileage gain without hurting yourself mentally or physically. I was a 30-35 mile a week runner for a while, and the few times I tried to push up towards 40, I burned out one way or the other. I've had three 40+ weeks since I've been doing this training, and I feel much better than I used to at 30 miles a week, just by lowering the intensity of my everyday runs.

run-easy-race-hard

I am a new runner (since August). I am currently running about 25 miles per week and plan to increase that number to about 40 through the winter. I am seriously considering training exclusively at LHR for that period. I am not sure if LHR running is appropriate for me at this milage level or or only for runners at 50+ mile/week. I am also uncertain what HR to run at to get maximum benefit as a 41 year old male. If I use the 180 formula, I calculate that my HR should be at 139 bpm. Is this reasonable? I have read that these calculations are often not appropriate for 40+ yo people. I plan to do exclusive base building for four months, then incorporate some speed work into my training for the summer racing season. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
        The equations are good for people over 40. The issue comes with people over 50 or 55. They just require a bit more trial and error. Also, people with low max heart rates will need to use lower values - guidelines are suggested in the Hadd article in the FAQ.