Low HR Training

Cross Training with the Maffetone Method (Read 477 times)

Diesel Power

Hi everyone - I recently purchased a Forerunner 305 with the intention of getting into heart rate training. Numerous injuries over the years have led me to suspect I’ve been overtraining, and I hope HR training will help me out with that. I’ve already committed to doing a few races thru late June, so I don’t anticipate following a full blown Maffetone inspired training program until around June 8. At that point, I would be able to commit at least 12 weeks to running below MAF. However, I have some reservations about getting rid of cross training once that rolls around. I would like to be able to incorporate a twice-weekly gym visit into my routine. The first visit would be for weights (upper body only, two sets at 12-15 reps). I’ve found that certain exercises have helped my form during races (i.e., I’m not slumping later on as much). The second visit would be a no-weight routine that consists of push-ups, dips, pull-ups, and a solid core workout. Also, I began attending a weekly yoga class about a month ago, and have already noted some great improvements in my flexibility (which has always been my weakest spot). From what I’ve gathered from you guys on the RunningAhead forum, as well as old Cool Running threads, weight lifting that I have in mind probably won’t be a great detriment to low HR training. Has anyone noticed any effect of yoga? It’s notable that I’m taking a “beginner’s” yoga class, which is probably way less intense than what some of you may have experienced. Please pay no attention to the running log I have here on the website… I haven’t updated it since December. Thanks for the help!
      I'm doing yoga quite a lot, especially now when the temps are up. I have not seen any negative influence on my MAF training, but be advised that I had a major flue (3 weeks) awhile back that distorts my log quite a lot. I did not do any stretching before I was 32. Last year I started to stretch and then moved to yoga, because my lower back started to cause me problems. Also my legs got numb at nights occasionally. After I started to do yoga both probs are gone. I feel good and especially yoga after long runs really relax my muscles. I have found only good things with yoga, but I cannot say much about weight training. Only upper body light weight training should not have negative influence on MAF, though. Ain't that cool when you notice how much more you can bent now then before you started yoga training. I have been practising my hand stand. Hope to be able to do some hand stand positions end of this summer. It is just frustrating how much running stiffens you up. Yoga do not hinder running (beginner yogis should be careful with their knees at the beginning, though), but running can hinder yoga progress. Yoga and running for life.

Half Fanatic #846

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but.. I seem to recall that Maffetone classifies weightlifting in general as anaerobic activity unsuited for strict low heart rate training, and that any other cross-training activity (such as cycling, swimming, elliptical, etc.) should be kept at or below MAF. Bill Smile

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

run-easy-race-hard

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but.. I seem to recall that Maffetone classifies weightlifting in general as anaerobic activity unsuited for strict low heart rate training, and that any other cross-training activity (such as cycling, swimming, elliptical, etc.) should be kept at or below MAF. Bill Smile
          Yup, that's exactly right. With that said, I've been able to get away with moderate upper body workouts that I add in that are a very small percentage of overall volume. Nonetheless, one should keep track of all of these instances of "breaking the rules" to help explain insufficient progress.

Diesel Power

Thanks all for the input. All I really plan to do is low weight/high rep upper body stuff. Besides, there are other activities (some more notable than others) that will likely raise my HR above MAF this summer. If Dr. Phil expects anyone to cut that out for three months to a year, he can jump off a cliff. Wink
            RER

I do light weights (upper body) various times through the year. But I always check my MAF test and if I see that I'm slowing I cut out the weights. One does not use HR to determine whether the weight workouts are anaerobic; they are always anaerobic. When I had my physio lab, weight training was the biggest factor that impaired base building (and fat burning), next to excess stress.
              RER

I should add that I 'cross train' by biking and swimming, which helps most aspects of my running more than lifting weights or anything else.
                northrup

Shortly after I started MAF training( I think about a month or so), I started weight training. I had been reading how I should be doing resistance exercise for my elderly bones plus I thought it might help strengthen my legs for running. I did weight training for almost 6 wks and saw my MAF pace deterioriate but thought it was just one of those MAF curiosities that would resolve with time. I never checked my HR while weight lift lifting because I never thought to do so. Whether coincidentally or not, when I stopped weight training due to lack of a facility, my MAF pace suddenly took off. I'm still not sure what happened, or rather, why that happened. I had assumed it was because I increased my mileage but reading this thread is making me reconsider. My only cross-training now is cycling or walking and both are at well below MAF paces for the most part.
                  RER

Shortly after I started MAF training( I think about a month or so), I started weight training. I had been reading how I should be doing resistance exercise for my elderly bones plus I thought it might help strengthen my legs for running. I did weight training for almost 6 wks and saw my MAF pace deterioriate but thought it was just one of those MAF curiosities that would resolve with time. I never checked my HR while weight lift lifting because I never thought to do so. Whether coincidentally or not, when I stopped weight training due to lack of a facility, my MAF pace suddenly took off. I'm still not sure what happened, or rather, why that happened. I had assumed it was because I increased my mileage but reading this thread is making me reconsider. My only cross-training now is cycling or walking and both are at well below MAF paces for the most part.
                    Great example of a textbook case. You added anaerobic work when your aerobic system was not well developed (or not developed enough to handle it) so your aerobic system was impaired from the body's response to the anaerobic workouts (which is stress hormone reaction). Once you eliminated the stress (anaerobic work) your aerobic system recovered (fortunately).