Low HR Training

"Race Report & Upcoming Races" Thread (Read 7775 times)

Beginner all over again

5-31-2011   Tuesday    Long

15-90-15

PaceAvg 16:50

1 mile  16:50

2 mile  16:30

3 mile  16:58

4 mile  16:41

5 mile  16:57

Longest Run this time around.

And lookie those splits, not a 17:00 to be seen  -- yippie Big grin

Can I be Frank

Walk This Way...this way

Amen!

Been there. Done that.

You're going along nicely, Fran.

Keep up the good work!

ts

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

5-31-2011   Tuesday    Long

15-90-15

PaceAvg 16:50

1 mile  16:50

2 mile  16:30

3 mile  16:58

4 mile  16:41

5 mile  16:57

Longest Run this time around.

WTG. Great pacing.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

I care! Would love to see the course elevation.

no problem, see here: http://www.futanet.hu/img/up/pic_8704.jpg Cool

it is in metric though, instead of feet it is metres for elevation (1 m is 3.28 feet) and instead of miles, kilometres.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Yes, that is a mountain.Cool

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

Thanks. Oguz. WHat are you referring to with this: " You have proved as a very good example of 4+ min of improvement in your easy running pace vs. your race pace." 

My MAF paces since I've been here in Georgia?

I often have  dreams where I am running a marathon and one or more of the following happens:

--I am late for the start by an hour and have to catch up

--I lose the course and spend hours trying to find it again, even running through people's houses and yards to find it

--I can't run fast enough, it's like being stuck in slow-mo

Cool

--Jimmy

Jimmy,

Sorry for answering back so late; I have intermittent access to internet for a while.

I mean both your MAF paces as well as your paces slower than that ; any training forming the backbone of your 'easy training' in your base preparation. I personally respect this backbone training more than any other faster training done later in the phase and I had personal supporting experiences.

I had read a running book some years ago and it had a chapter on Lydiard's way of training; I got interested and practiced base building months, slowing more than 1 min in my easy training pace to 7:30-8:00. I was very surprised when I ran a very unexpected 3k race- a track race with no warming up- without any anaeorobic training @ 4:55 min pace.  That was a breakthrough race for me in 1981.

Some references can also be made from high-mileage marathoners, whose easy training pace is 8:00 and marathon race pace is sub 5:00.

Oguz. 

BeeRunB

Run The Rails 10k
                Buford, GA
                80ºF  70% humidity
                Hot sun

Driving up to this race, I missed my exit on the interstate and had to drive an extra 10 minutes to get back to it. This proved to be an omen for the start of the race. 

I was running my warm-up and heard that the race was starting in 10 minutes, so I decided to go near the starting line. I looked down to check my laces and saw what looked like dirt on my right ankle--but it wasn't dirt. I checked the bottom of my left shoe and it wasn't pretty. It was one of Snoopy's smelly surprises left on the grass somewhere that was now embedded in the soul of my shoe like a thickening brownie mix on a waffle iron. I had to clean up quickly, there was less than ten minutes to the start of the race. The porto-potty line was too long, so I ran the 3/8's of a mile down the road to my car, which was parked on the first part of the race course. I cleaned myself and my shoe quickly, then started running back to the start at a brisk pace. The race director boomed that the race was starting in 1 minute. Cheers filled the air. I started sprinting. It was like one of those running nightmares I have in which I can't get to the starting line on time. Some race volunteers told me to get out of the road and get to the left. I got up on the sidewalk. The race was starting in twenty seconds. I got to the starting line out of breath and slipped into an available space near the sidewalk, hoping I didn't smell like one of Snoopy's fresh ones. The race started five seconds later!

I wanted to beat the average pace I ran two weeks ago in a10k (49:21---7:57). My plan was to start out at 8:00 pace and then get my pace down to 7:50 and hold that feel. That didn't happen. I completely forgot there was a 5k race that started at the same time. I paced myself off the group and ended up with a quicker start of 7:34 in the first mile (my average pace in a 5k three weeks ago). I dialed back a bit. The next mile was mostly uphill and challenging; I ran 8:22.  The sun was beating down, and it felt hot. The whole Dog Poo-Poo Enduced Sprint to the starting line and the fast first mile was in my head. I was thinking way too much. I decided to focus on the sounds of nature, breathing deeply from my lower belly, and racing the people around me. I relaxed.

Mile three had some downhill in it and--to my surprise--I ran a 7:10. I felt good, so I just kept the pace going. Mile 4 was the beginning of the second loop, which was near identical to the first 3 miles. Another zippy split--7:20.

I was running in my usual no man's land between clumps of runners. No one had passed me for awhile, and no one my age.  I didn't see any 50 year olds close behind either. Whatever my place was in my age-group, I knew it was solid. I started to close in on the clump in front on the long hill at the end of the 5th mile, which was the same as mile 2. I saw one runner with some gray hair and tried to catch him. I pulled even with him and looked to be in the 60+ age-group. Solid runner. I finished the 5th mile in 8:26, just a tad slower than mile 2. I picked it up a bit. The last half mile is right along the railroad tracks. I heard a train coming just as I was beginning to really pour it on. It passed on my right about forty feet away. Loudly. I made a metaphor of it and pretended it was infusing me with the power of a locomotive. I could hear someone was trying to pass me from behind, and sprinted as hard as I could not to let that happen (ended up being a young woman). I could see the clock for the first time and realized I was going to break 49:00. I finished in 48:42. I was completely surprised. I truly thought  I wasn't going to break 50:00.  At the finish, Miss Buford, the town's reigning beauty queen, was collecting the timing chips. Tiara and all.

Come to find out, I won first place in my 50-54 age group! I beat 4 other guys including everyone in the 45-49 age group, and would have placed 4th in the 40-44 AG (click for .pdf of age group results)....16th of 120 runners overall. It was either the power of the locomotive, or the power of the poo-poo.

On the drive home, I listened to Bob Dylan's "Love And Theft" album. One of his best.  I was stopped by police at an intersection so that a long line of motorcycle people could drive through. I wondered what that was all about. I also saw a sign for hair transplants for $2.00 a graft. I wondered if there was ever a corrupt politician who used his graft money to pay for some grafts.

I enjoyed my morning, in spite of the unfortunate gishing.

7:34
                8:22
                7:10
                7:20
                8:26
                9:50 (1.21 miles at 8:07 average pace)

time: 48:42 *new Georgia personal best
                7:50 ave pace

16th of 120 runners

1st of 5 in my age group

-Jimmy

gregw

Great job Jimmy.  Way to live the nightmare scenario and come out of it with some hardware!

labhiker

Great job Jimmy.  Congratulations.

labhiker

congrats Cool

BeeRunB

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Greg, Lab, and C!

Weird, fun day! Turned out well.

--JimmyCool

Tennesotans

Man are you FAST! Great race (ignoring pooch poo of course)!

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Congrats jimmy. I was planning to run P'tree with you but now I know I need to stay on the porch. Smile

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

BeeRunB

Thanks Tenn and Ron!

Tenn, I'm fast, yet I'm slow.  Cool

Ron,

I don't think so. If I don't see you in wave A and hear you stayed on the porch, well.......I'll just......

....ring ahead and make sure you have a porchburger ready for me. Cool

When did I enter this alternate universe, BTW?

I'm having identity problems. Cool

--JImmy

Nice 10k Jimmy, you have my PR beat.

6/11/11

Paynesville Family 5k Fun Run

22:31

Average HR 178

Max FR 190

My current PR was from this race last year. I was hoping to go at least sub 22, but with the decreased training from possible OT, iron deficiency and overall too much stress, I wasn't going to get down on myself for not getting my sub 22 5k.

I started using a Garmin FR60 with foot pod since January and have found it to be pretty accurate, that is up until Saturday. I find that the novelty of seeing where I ran with a pretty GPS track over a map had worn off and decided to go non-GPS with the FR60. I wanted something that could record my treadmill workouts with HR info and the FR60 seemed to fit the bill.

I started the race out with one of my training screens on current pace and average lap pace. I was going to pace myself and was trying to run a 7:00 flat until the last 0.1 mile. I was doing a pretty nice job of my pacing with a 7:02 first mile, 7:02 second mile and 7:12 third. I hammered it when I saw the third mile click past and to my surprise, I was about half way to the finish line when I heard the alarm sound for mile 3.1. I though, damn the course is long this year but figured I'd still PR with a couple 7:02's logged.

I was a little more then disappointed when I crossed the finish line and saw I was slower then last year and my Garmin read 3.20 miles. I thought "What good did 2000 miles of running do me since last year?" As I looked back on my log, I noticed that I am a good 10 pounds heavier then last year at this time, so that should explain the slightly slower time.

Looks like its time to get serious about shedding the extra pounds and running more at MAF.

MTA: Oh yeah, I finished 3rd OA, 3rd male and 1st in 40-49 AG

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life