Low HR Training

"Race Report & Upcoming Races" Thread (Read 7775 times)

WRT to the 5K I could have ran at a HR nearer to 180, however I didn't want to blow up and I really didn't want to exceed 90% of my max HR.

this may be one of the reasons why you didn't run a faster 5k. if you didn't race all-out why did you expect it to be a better time? this is assuming that the 5k last year was run all-out.

Rich Watson

this may be one of the reasons why you didn't run a faster 5k. if you didn't race all-out why did you expect it to be a better time? this is assuming that the 5k last year was run all-out.

I ran at what felt like the same pace. I'll be honest with you, I think if I'd pushed an extra few beats the time saving would have been seconds, rather than a minute or so. As previously mentioned, I stuck with the aerobic workouts to see what the effect was of racing without anaerobic training. I'll be honest with you though, I did expect some improvement for the same effort. At least I know now that I need more than just steady state training.

Rich Watson

I've just done my 2nd 5 K and did it eye balls out. Max HR was 183 and average was 178 BPM.

Went hard enough to make me puke. Managed 20:22, that's nearly a minute faster than last week. Speed work definately helps.

I don't intend on going that hard again though.

gregw

Just checked in to see some Peachtree race reports from Ron and Jimmy.  Where are they, guys?

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Peachtree Road Race  10K<48:00

<50:00 once in 22 years.

Unofficial time 47:49

Run with someone who paced me to a HM PR.Not smart. Needed a 7:45 pace. Mile 2--7:02 Mile 3--6:58. He died  at  3.5 mile mark. I just tried to hold on.

Official time 47:43 

Jimmy had family commitments and did not run.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

gregw

Run with someone who paced me to a HM PR.Not smart. Needed a 7:45 pace. Mile 2--7:02 Mile 3--6:58. He died  at  3.5 mile mark. I just tried to hold on.

Awesome, Ron!  Here's hoping for <50 for the next 22.

congrats. Smile you beat my PR from last year by 14 seconds=) now I must go and run a faster 10K! Cool

PS. I hope your pacer didn't REALLY die, just in the running sense of the word =)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

2:30 AM. Race report late.

Date: 7/16/2011 7:15 PM
                  Type: Race
                  Course: Make it by midnight
                  Distance: 26.2 miles
                  Duration: 4:38:37.11
                  Pace: 10:39 / mile
                  Equipment: ASICS gel-gt2150 (blue)
                  Weight: 155.0 lb
                  Heart Rate: Average: 146 / Max: 189

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Good job Ron!

bob e v
                    2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Tennesotans

@runnerclay -- nice work. I've heard of a 5k where you guess your finish time...

but this is the first staggered start race I've ever heard about. In the 5k race,

the runners had to completely run by "feel" -- no timing/pacing devices allowed.

I skimmed the instructions and couldn't determine whether it was the case here too.

Congrats!

BeeRunB

WTG, Ron. Your year of endurance feats continue. This race sounds really cool.

--Jimmy

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

@runnerclay -- nice work. I've heard of a 5k where you guess your finish time...

but this is the first staggered start race I've ever heard about. In the 5k race,

the runners had to completely run by "feel" -- no timing/pacing devices allowed.

I skimmed the instructions and couldn't determine whether it was the case here too.

Congrats!

Thanks everyone. I am on the way out the door for a run. Did not get it in this morning.

No, you could gps.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

sounds like a fun race! congrats!

Ran my first 5k race this year.  22:02 (7:06 pace)

mile splits

1   6:45

2   7:02

3   7:25

I definitely gave this one my all.  I was really hurting in that last mile.  Fairly flat course, but it was warm.  Happy with the result, but also a sense of disappointment because I ran this same course last year in 22:00.  So, I essentially duplicated last years effort.  No improvement.  But, I was happy with the outcome last year, so part of me is happy that I was able to do it again.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Ran my first 5k race this year.  22:02 (7:06 pace)

mile splits

1   6:45

2   7:02

3   7:25

I definitely gave this one my all.  I was really hurting in that last mile.  Fairly flat course, but it was warm.  Happy with the result, but also a sense of disappointment because I ran this same course last year in 22:00.  So, I essentially duplicated last years effort.  No improvement.  But, I was happy with the outcome last year, so part of me is happy that I was able to do it again.

Congrats. What was the temp last year?

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter