Low HR Training

"Race Report & Upcoming Races" Thread (Read 7775 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

ATC Grand Finale 5K <22:00

Unofficial 22:16. Started  watch at 0.1 miles.Went out too fast. 1.5 mile killer hill.

Official time 22:09 Smile Last year 22:37 on a  different course. Fewer hills with a nice downhill finish.

1 Interval 1 mi 6:45.91 6:45.91 6:46 155 165  way too fast . Down hill
    2 Interval 1 mi 7:43.42 14:29.33 7:44 172 179  .6 mile 150  foot climb.
    3 Interval 1 mi 6:57.42 21:26.75 6:58 173 184  .5  mile  75 foot. Surprised how quickly I reached the top.
    4 Interval 0.04 mi 0:13.71 21:40.46 5:43 185 186

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

goal? when is it?

Ran my first 5k race this year.  22:02 (7:06 pace)

mile splits

1   6:45

2   7:02

3   7:25

I definitely gave this one my all.  I was really hurting in that last mile.  Fairly flat course, but it was warm.  Happy with the result, but also a sense of disappointment because I ran this same course last year in 22:00.  So, I essentially duplicated last years effort.  No improvement.  But, I was happy with the outcome last year, so part of me is happy that I was able to do it again.

hey congrats!!

sounds like you managed to fight aging. Smile

envious. Smile

I say that b.c. I still have to work on this...I remember last year I did 4x1000 that happened to be exactly at this 22min 5K pace...but putting it all together, that is harder.

Unofficial 22:16. Started  watch at 0.1 miles.Went out too fast. 1.5 mile killer hill.

3 Interval 1 mi 6:57.42 21:26.75 6:58 173 184  .5  mile  75 foot. Surprised how quickly I reached the top.

Congratulations.  You probably would have gone under 22:00 on a flatter course.

Official time 22:09 Smile Last year 22:37 on a  different course. Fewer hills with a nice downhill finish.

ah I see you've done it since then Smile congrats! is this a PB?

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

ah I see you've done it since then Smile congrats! is this a PB?

I do not know my 5k PR.  I do not think it is <22:00. So  anything <22 will become my official time. I still have the post card for my 1st marathon which is my PR. 1994*** 3:46:59

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

zonykel

I'd already been training for a half marathon since June. But I've been doing low HR training only for the last month or so. So today I ran a the race. I wasn't 100% sure how fast I should run it, since I have a marathon scheduled for November, and I'm still building my aerobic base. I decided I wasn't going to try to PR. My PR is around 1:54. Before starting low HR training, I did a 9-mile training run that was on pace for a 1:52 half marathon. So a PR attempt wasn't out of the question, but I knew if I did that, the likelihood of injury or increased recovery time was significant. Plus, I've been traveling quite a bit lately, and my training has suffered accordingly.

My final chip time was 2:18:41.

So here are my Garmin splits:

Mile   Time          Avg HR      Max HR      Avg cadence  Notes
                01:         11:45,   139 bpm,   151 bpm,   89 rpm           Slight uphill, goal of MAF (141 bpm)
                02:         11:38,   139 bpm,   147 bpm,   88 rpm           Slight uphill, goal of MAF (141 bpm)
                03:         10:11,   141 bpm,   149 bpm,   90 rpm           Downhill, goal of MAF (141 bpm)
                04:         08:34,   147 bpm,   160 bpm,   92 rpm           Downhill, goal of MAF+5 (146 bpm)
                05:         10:24,   147 bpm,   152 bpm,   89 rpm           Somewhat flat, goal of MAF+5 (146 bpm) 
                06:         10:35,   146 bpm,   151 bpm,   89 rpm           Somewhat flat, goal of MAF+5 (146 bpm) 
                07:         10:13,   152 bpm,   161 bpm,   90 rpm           Somewhat flat, goal of MAF+10 (151 bpm) 
                08:         10:22,   152 bpm,   159 bpm,   89 rpm           Somewhat flat, goal of MAF+10 (151 bpm)
                09:         10:43,   152 bpm,   157 bpm,   90 rpm           Somewhat flat, goal of MAF+10 (151 bpm)          
                10:         10:14,   155 bpm,   161 bpm,   91 rpm           Uphill, goal of MAF+15 (156 bpm)
                11:         10:26,   157 bpm,   165 bpm,   91 rpm           Up and down hill, goal of MAF+15 (156 bpm)
                12:         11:17,   159 bpm,   166 bpm,   89 rpm           Uphill, goal of MAF+20 (161 bpm) 
                13:         10:34,   166 bpm,   171 bpm,   89 rpm           Uphill, goal of MAF+25 (166 bpm)
                0.31 mi, 04:00,  161 bpm,   179 bpm,   76 rpm           Downhill, going as fast as I could (safely). My watch kept running for about 2 minutes after I finished the race, so the time/distance is not accurate.

I'm not used to racing this slow, but I tried to take the pressure off me by not trying to PR.

Any comments on racing using HR as a way to guide my pace? Reading Mittleman, he states that MAF dictates the speed at races of Marathon length. This seems to be somewhat contradictory to what Maffetone states. I remember reading one of Maffetone's interviews, and he concedes that we run half marathons and marathons at an anaerobic pace. My race above was mostly anaerobic, but clearly below my previous half marathon race pace (hence more comfortable, but not necessarily easy due to the extra time on my feet).

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

1st phase of maffing  is 6 weeks with no anaerobic training. This race will probably set you back 2 weeks. You will not PR with Maff by Nov. Maffing slows you down. You will finish  and without  much stress on the body. Racing requires some anaerobic training.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

BeeRunB

Racing requires some anaerobic training.

or just racing.

MAF training doesn't slow you down--it depends how much you progress with it in relation to where it was when you were racing when you weren't doing it. For example, you might have made a 1:40:00 PR in a half marathon and your MAF speed at the time was might have been 10:15. If you did a pure MAF base period and came out the other side at 8:45 for your MAF speed, you will more than likely PR in your next half marathon, if you pace yourself correctly. Though the first race can feel weird as you are engaging the anaerobic system for the first time in awhile, and after you do, in terms of the example I just mentioned, you will probably break make another PR.

Mittleman and Maffetone share common points, and Mittleman was Maffetone's protege for awhile, but there are differences in the system. Marathons and half marathons, if you're trying to eek out your very best,  are run very close to lactate threshold on average, with the latter part of the race exceeding it. If you're a marathon maniac and do lots of marathons throughout the year, bringing the average HR closer to MAF, and away from LT, is more in order. Not many people can handle more than 2-4 marathons a year run all out. They take a toll.

--Jimmy

I'd already been training for a half marathon since June. But I've been doing low HR training only for the last month or so. So today I ran a the race. I wasn't 100% sure how fast I should run it, since I have a marathon scheduled for November, and I'm still building my aerobic base. I decided I wasn't going to try to PR. My PR is around 1:54. Before starting low HR training, I did a 9-mile training run that was on pace for a 1:52 half marathon. So a PR attempt wasn't out of the question, but I knew if I did that, the likelihood of injury or increased recovery time was significant. Plus, I've been traveling quite a bit lately, and my training has suffered accordingly.

My final chip time was 2:18:41.

(...)

Any comments on racing using HR as a way to guide my pace? Reading Mittleman, he states that MAF dictates the speed at races of Marathon length. This seems to be somewhat contradictory to what Maffetone states. I remember reading one of Maffetone's interviews, and he concedes that we run half marathons and marathons at an anaerobic pace. My race above was mostly anaerobic, but clearly below my previous half marathon race pace (hence more comfortable, but not necessarily easy due to the extra time on my feet).

zonykel: what was your goal in this race? because you started the race at MAF, your goal was clearly just some kind of training run, but why did you decide to increase the HR like that? what was the goal?

you could have easily run this all out if the marathon is only in november and if it fits in your training plan.

I do use HR while racing, but no way I'd try such a strict HR plan in a half marathon. (maybe in a marathon I would, at least until I know myself better in marathons.)

in a half marathon, I only use HR to make sure not to exceed LT HR in the first half of the race. I just keep it a bit below LT HR. (I do have a complex algorithm in my head for this, but it may be refined with more experience. the algorithm however is not anything like this +5 +10 blahblah stuff.)

I'm sure mittleman was wrong _IF_ he _really_ said that an all-out marathon is run at MAF.

I have not run a marathon yet but maffetone himself says on his forum that with a well developed aerobic system the marathon race pace is about 15sec per mile faster than MAF pace. something like that. he did not say anything about not so well developed aerobic systems, though. to me, 15sec seems too little difference, though. at least if I go by 180-age+adjustments formula, which is not nearly 100% reliable.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Name                        Distance                            Race                           Location                             Goal       
                        Result                  
                        Comments

runnerclay             10K      Big Peach Sizzler        Atlanta,Ga        45:59                                              RA predictor 46:53

********************************************************************************* Dizziling  rain unofficial time 45:43                                                                 Official clock time 46:02.Chip times  apparently not recorded. I was at least 20 yards behind the start line      3 AG

no awards.      

chip time 45:41                                                                                                                                                                              

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

C-R

Nice Clay. I ran one today in 44:48 on some rolling hills around this neck of the woods. No clue on AHR or anything as I ran without a watch.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Nice Clay. I ran one today in 44:48 on some rolling hills around this neck of the woods. No clue on AHR or anything as I ran without a watch.

Great job.  I did not have hills. Big grin

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

BeeRunB

Name                        Distance                            Race                           Location                             Goal       
                              Result                  
                              Comments

runnerclay             10K      Big Peach Sizzler        Atlanta,Ga        45:59                                              RA predictor 46:53

********************************************************************************* Dizziling  rain unofficial time 45:43                                                                 Official clock time 46:02.Chip times  apparently not recorded. I was at least 20 yards behind the start line      3 AG

no awards.      

chip time 45:41                                                                                                                                                                              

Nice performance, Ron! You're closing in on that 1994 PR. Almost as fast as you were when you were in your thirties. Keep going!

--Jimmy

BeeRunB

WTG, Norm. Good to see you out there racing.

--Jimmy