Low HR Training

"Race Report & Upcoming Races" Thread (Read 7775 times)

BeeRunB

Nice walk speed again - yeah I reckon for Ultra's it's good training - and it sounds like you it was a fun and interesting race without messing up your training. 

Impressed that you can walk fast enough to get your HR up to 156!

Thanks, Sean. It was getting really hot and sunny by the end of the race. That rise to 156 was mostly heat stress. I was sore for the two days following in the hips and upper glutes. I was a walker before I started running back in the late 90's early 2000's, and was able to reach 5.0 mph on a track by the time I started running. I don't see myself ever getting much past that with the normal style of walking I do. It's too uncomfortable. I would have to learn the style you see racewalkers use----those athletes can go very fast. No desire to be that yet. I do see the aerobic benefits of walking. Looking back to when I started running, I think that the aerobic system I  built with walking gave me a lot of endurance, and explains why I was able to race as well as I did that first summer race season.

--JimmyCool

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Plus, if I ever get into ultramarathons, walking ability can come in handy.

Have a happy 4th!

--JimmyCool

Just say when! Congrats. Peachtree is an event! If, I were a beer drinking I would have made a few more stops.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Did a local sprint Triathlon while visiting family in Ireland as a kind of "warm down" after the Ironman 3 weeks ago - also interested to see how I would go in the short distance on all the long Iron training and zero speed /interval stuff.

Swim was in a river (well just as it becomes a lake so little current) - swam just under 13mins for 750 meters, a sprint pr by 2 mins,

Bike had some hills but not bad - did the 20k in just under 35 mins, a sprint course pr by about a minute, 

then did the 5k run in 22:47, another sprint pr by about a minute and 10 secs off my 5k flat pr - if I had done any pacing practise I could have PRed that easily - I had a lot left at the end - not used to running fast!! 

Overall just under 1:13 including transitions.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Did a local sprint Triathlon while visiting family in Ireland as a kind of "warm down" after the Ironman 3 weeks ago - also interested to see how I would go in the short distance on all the long Iron training and zero speed /interval stuff.

Swim was in a river (well just as it becomes a lake so little current) - swam just under 13mins for 750 meters, a sprint pr by 2 mins,

Bike had some hills but not bad - did the 20k in just under 35 mins, a sprint course pr by about a minute, 

then did the 5k run in 22:47, another sprint pr by about a minute and 10 secs off my 5k flat pr - if I had done any pacing practise I could have PRed that easily - I had a lot left at the end - not used to running fast!! 

Overall just under 1:13 including transitions.

Congrats

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

congrats to everyone! =)

I only did one proper race in this year so far, at the end of May. same uphill race as in 2010 and 2011 Smile I set a PR again! it's a 7.21mile long hill with 671m elevation (2200feet). done in 1:12:40, avg pace 10:04, avg HR 188, max HR 193. It was 188 avg only because I went too slow due to inadequate warmup in the first part of the race... I still need to figure out how to warmup properly for such an uphill race. Also max was only 193 because I didn't go that hard at the last part either. prior to the race I'd just managed to come back from the injury thing so I'm glad I had a good enough shape to set an about 5min PR, but that was mostly based on the improvements I had in running in the second half of the last year... winter and spring didn't add to it =/ anyway I was glad overall! I'll try to get a bigger PR next year! =D

What's the deal.......No one has been racing this summer?

No open races for me, but I did compete in three triathlons. The first one was on a brutally hot and humid day. I just could not run that day at all. I actually walked 6 times during that run.

7/14/2012 Graniteman Clearwater

Field Placement: 117 / 316 (37%)
              Age group: 40 – 44
              Group Placement: 10 / 30 (33%)
              Gender Placement: 89 / 193 (46%)

Swim = 850 yds...Time = 12:40 (1:29 / 100 yd pace)
              T1 = 2:41
              Bike = 15.3 mi...Time = 42:39 (21.5mi / hr) Ave HR = 173
              T2 = 1:40
              Run = 2.85 mi...Time = 28:53 (10:08 pace) Ave HR = 166

Total = 1:28:32

Swim placement = 45th OA, 31st male, 3rd AG
              Bike placement = 56th OA, 46th male, 8th AG
              Run placement = 237 OA, 158th male, 23rd AG

8/04/2012 Graniteman Big Lake

Overall Placement: 65 / 296 (22%)
              Gender Placement: 43 / 171 (25%)
              Age Group: 40 - 44 Placement: 8 / 33 (24%)

Swim = 780 yds...Time = 11:35 (1:29 / 100 yd pace)
              T1 = 1:18
              Bike = 15.0 mi...Time = 39:12 (23.0 mi / hr) Ave HR = 174
              T2 = 1:20
              Run = 3.1 mi...Time = 25:06 (8:06 pace) Ave HR = 169

Total = 1:18:28

Swim placement = 42nd OA, 18th male, 5th AG
              Bike placement = 48th OA, 34th male, 7th AG
              Run placement = 150th OA, 104th male, 14th AG

8/26/2012 Lakes Country Triathlon

Overall Placement: 54 / 218 (25%)
              Gender Placement: 42 / 120 (25%)
              Age Group: 40 - 44 Placement: 5 / 23 (22%)

Swim = 880 yds...Time = 13:09 (1:30 / 100 yd pace)
              T1 = 1:50
              Bike = 17.3 mi...Time = 46:17 (22.4 mi / hr) Ave HR = 173
              T2 = 1:21
              Run = 3.9 mi...Time = 30:48 (7:54 pace) Ave HR = 173

Total = 1:33:23

Swim placement = 49nd OA, 35th male, 4th AG
              Bike placement = 30th OA, 29th male, 3rd AG
              Run placement = 94th OA, 70th male, 10th AG

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

BeeRunB

BT,

Nice summer. Those are some good tri performances. Congrats on the top 25% finishes.

Triathlons always seem to be hot weather.

Question: what does the run feel like for you? Does it feel like a normal 5k?

Thanks.

--Jimmy Cool

BT,

Nice summer. Those are some good tri performances. Congrats on the top 25% finishes.

Triathlons always seem to be hot weather.

Question: what does the run feel like for you? Does it feel like a normal 5k?

Thanks.

--Jimmy Cool

Good question Jimmy. The hardest part is the actual transition from cycling to running. I've been doing some BRICK workouts lately to prepare myself to run fast off the bike. A BRICK is a workout in which you run immediately after a bike ride. It can also be a bike following a swim.

When I did my first duathlon, I was suprised how hard it is to run after biking. When I finished biking and jumped off to run through the transition area so I could rack my bike, slip on my running shoes and head out for the run, I could barely stand up straight and walk, let alone run.

I'd say the the run at the last race I did felt more like the last few miles of a HM more then a 5k open race. My HR and pace were on par with a HM and the rqce time was also similar. I think I had more to give to the run then I did, but I didn't really want to crash and burn and have to start walking. The last 0.9 miles were about 30-40 seconds per mile faster the the first three and is a pace I think I will target for next years races.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

BT congrats.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

5 mile walk. No HR monitor

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

npaden

I've got a 10k coming up on Saturday, September 8th.

Did my last speed workout last night getting ready.  Going to just do 6 miles easy tonight and then 4 miles easy tomorrow and take Friday off before the race on Saturday.

Not sure what target pace to shoot for out of the gate.  I was originally planning on trying to break 52:00, but based on my last couple speed workouts I think I can do better than that.

Last week I ran a 4 mile Tempo run with splits of 8:23, 8:22, 8:18 and 8:05 with the temperature at 80 degrees at the end of the run.

Yesterday I ran 4 X 800m Intervals with 400m recoveries and my interval splits were at 7:37, 7:13, 7:16 and 7:04 per mile pace.  The temperature was 91 when I finished that run.

I ran both of those workouts hard but didn't feel like I "raced" them and had some left in the tank on both of them. 

Looking at McMillans calculator, those training paces put me on track to break 50:00 on my 10k with an 8:00 pace.

Weather is looking decent for this weekend with cold front coming through the night before the race.  Temperature should be in the mid 60's at race time, the only negative is that it is going to be a bit breezy with forecasted winds at 20 - 25 mph.  The good thing is that they will be out of the north and the race is and out and back running into the north at the start and then the wind would be helping coming back.

Trying to decide if I should be conservative and go out at an 8:15 pace and then try to push it in at the turn around or if I should try to start out at an 8:00 pace right off the bat.  The wind will probably answer that question for me though, I doubt I'll be able to push an 8:00 pace into a 20mph wind without pushing too hard at the start.  I ran my intervals 100% based on effort because my audio cues on my phone weren't working, I may do the same thing on Saturday and just see what happens.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I hope you did not do the six. It takes 4-5 days to recover from a speed workout. Taper.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

I would run a couple very easy mlies with a few strides thrown in on Friday to stay loose. I hate trying to run fast on a complete day off.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

npaden

I did 6.5 miles tonight.  Easy, although it was VERY warm and my HR climbed up higher than I would have liked.

I put the interval session toward the start of the week so I would be fully recovered in time for the race, but I didn't think I needed to really back off my easy workouts.

I will look into doing a couple miles Friday, I didn't run the day before my half marathon and that seemed to work really well, I guess a 10k is a different animal though.

Age: 50 Weight: 224 Height: 6'3" (Goal weight 195)

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

BeeRunB

I did 6.5 miles tonight.  Easy, although it was VERY warm and my HR climbed up higher than I would have liked.

I put the interval session toward the start of the week so I would be fully recovered in time for the race, but I didn't think I needed to really back off my easy workouts.

I will look into doing a couple miles Friday, I didn't run the day before my half marathon and that seemed to work really well, I guess a 10k is a different animal though.

Good luck, Npaden!

Race well.

Cool