Low HR Training

"Race Report & Upcoming Races" Thread (Read 7775 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Nathan

Looks like you had a great tempo run. 5K-23:00 looks doable. One last suggestion. Taper for the race unless you are training for another race.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

npaden

My new 5K is coming up tomorrow! Race forecast is Sunny, 37 degrees and 7 mph breeze! That actually sounds pretty good to me.

I have a friend who has offered to run with me. He is a sub 6:00 pace guy so he would be running slow and trying to help pace me and encourage me. Not sure how much that would benefit me or not. If he was going to run all out he could probably have a chance to win this race as it sounds like it is going to be pretty small. Any thoughts on that?

I've been doing a lot of reading on tapering and the more I read the more it seems that taking a complete day off before a race isn't a good thing. I'm going to get in a couple miles right after work today and throw in some strides. I'm really feeling pretty confident in a sub 24:00 for sure and am going to try to break 23 if at all possible.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

npaden

I did it!!  22:39!!

It was a very small race, less than 100 total runners with most of those in the 1 mile Run/Walk.  The 5K had about 30 and the 10K had about 15.  Got in a good warmup, but the race started almost 10 minutes late so was getting a little anxious by the time it finally started.  Race time temp was 38 degrees with a 7mph breeze, pretty good conditions for me anyway.

We finally got lined up and I was right on the front line.  They gave us some last minute instructions and blew a whistle and we were off.  Had a nice litte group of about 5 of us that settled in right at the start with a couple 10K runners pulling out in front of everyone.  My friend was running with me and I had my phone set to give me audio cues every minute so I was NOT going to go out too fast and blow up this time. 

One minute in and my phone tells me I'm running a 7:03 pace, I didn't feel that at all so I just kept the same pace and tried to run smooth.  Two minutes in and my phone again tells me I'm running a 7:03 pace and this time I believe it and slow down just a little.  Next minute clicks off and I'm down to a 7:15 pace, another minute and I'm down to a 7:20 pace and that's where I wanted to keep it for the rest of the race.

Kept it real steady and my buddy just hung with me and the pack just kind of stuck around.  At one point we were actually leading the 5K!  At about 2 miles in a couple of high school cross country girls went ahead of us and another guy a little younger than me pulled ahead.  I was staying really consistent and was afraid to blow up like last time so I just let them go.  At 2.25 miles I could tell my buddy wanted to go win the 5K and if we waited much longer the 3 ahead of us might pull away so I told him to go.  It was getting harder, but I still felt WAY better than I did two weeks ago when I blew up.  What little breeze there was was behind us so I felt like I had 24:00 in the bag for sure.  He took off and left everyone so it was the two girls and the 35ish guy in front of me.  They ended up about 50 yards ahead of me and then either they slowed down or I picked it up slightly or probably a little of both because it stayed that way to about 2.75 miles.  The way the course was laid out you couldn't actually see the finish line until you made one last turn, and I was still worried about blowing up like last time so I didn't start picking up the pace until about 200 yards to go.  In retrospect I should have picked it up at least 400 yards out and I really think I might could have caught up with the 2 girls and the guy in front of me as I felt great going across the finish line.  Still, I was VERY happy with my time as I smoked my original 24:00 goal and beat my 23:00 fairly well.

Here's my splits with HR info.

Splits (GPS Interval)
         TypeDistance Split settingsDurationTotal DurationPaceAvg HRMax HRNotes
        1 Manual 1 mi 7:20.59 7:20.59 7:21 164 181  
        2 Manual 1 mi 7:18.88 14:39.47 7:19 177 182  
        3 Manual 1 mi 7:12.52 21:51.99 7:13 180 183  
        4 Manual 0.12 mi 0:48 22:39.99 6:40 181 183

I don't know how to really analyze these numbers, I didn't even get close to my Max HR of 194 at the end of the run so I think that means that I should have kicked much earlier.  I thinik my avg HR being at 177 (91%) for the 2nd mile and 180 (93%) for the 3rd mile means I was not going to be able to keep that pace much longer though.  Also not sure if the low temperature helped keep my HR low also.

I feel MUCH better than I did at the end of my 5K two weeks ago that I ran a 24:06 on.  A little sore in my quads, but not just beat down like I did after the last one. 

Pacing was just about perfect when it is all said and done I think.  Should have kicked a little earlier, but I was so worried about blowing up after the last race I was too conservative at the end.

Overall a great race for me though!

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

BeeRunB

Fantastic race, N! Well done. Nice pacing.Cool

39° is optimum weather. Those past few races you ran were a lot 20+° warmer. When you get down to 40ish°F, it takes that stress out and you can really do you very best, if you don't start too fast, which you didn't!!! Nice.

Was it 5th place?

Congrats.Cool Awesome when it works and you breakthrough!

--JImmy

p.s. when pacing off the McMillan calculator, temperature is a factor. If you get a pace for a 5k based off a 10k  run in  65° , then run in 40° you can make an adjustment anywhere from 3-5% faster---depends. Humidity can be a factor as well. The % can vary from runner to runner, depending on how well they dissipate heat.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Great job! Everything fell into place. It's nice when all the hard work pays off. The 45:00 10k is in the bag!

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

npaden

Had a goal to make 1:50 on a tough half marathon course.  With the conditions I really wasn't expecting to, but still gave it a shot.  Blew up at the end a bit.

Race time temperature was 65 degrees at the start with 20 mph winds out of the south increasing to 70 degrees and 25 mph winds at the finish for me.  Winds were gusting as well, had to turn my hat backwards to keep it from blowing off my head when I was running into the wind.  Even thought my headphones were going to blow off from around my neck at one point.

With the wind blowing like it was pretty much all my planning on pacing with the hills was out the window.  Tried to go based on effort and HR.  Mile 1 and 2 were with the wind and I was going faster than I thought, but my HR was about where I wanted it to be.

Mile 3 was down the big hill and then back up.  I felt like I was going about right down the hill, but we were running directly into the wind and the hill was just as steep as I remembered.  First aid station was at the 2.5 mile mark and I drank one cup of water and poured another on my head.  I was already getting warm.  I decided that with the fast first 2 miles with the wind I didn't want to overcook it on the start so I decided to walk briskly up the hill instead of trying to run it.  Even with the walking my pace was still good and my HR stayed pretty even.  Level effort even walking up the hill it was so step. 

Mile 4 was back down again and I was still feeling good.  Made some good time going down the hill and then leveled off.  Still feeling pretty good.  HR seemed to be in line, maybe a little high but not bad. 

Mile 5 was flat along the edge of the lake.  Somewhat sheltered from the wind down in the bottom.  Still felt like I was in line on pace and HR.  2nd aid station and again I drank 1 cup of water and poured another on my head. 

Mile 6 was more of the same.  Turned to go with the wind, but also had a little uphill in there.  This split was slower than I thought it should be, but my HR was still creeping up so I was in line on effort.

Mile 7 was back up the hill.  I ran a little until the hill got steeper and then did the brisk walk up most of it.  Again, I felt like I gave it level effort and my HR actually jumped more on this mile than any mile so far.  The 9:12 pace for this mile brought my average all the way up to 8:30 and put me behind my 1:50 target.  Still felt good and hit the third aid station at the top of the hill.  Same routine, drank one cup of water and poured the other on my head.  Next 2 miles were with the wind and felt like I had a chance to make the time up.  My friend Larry had run the 2 mile race and wanted to get in a long run so he joined me on the second lap.

Mile 8  was on top with the wind behind me.  Really felt like I was running a great race at this point.  My HR was climbing a little more than I wanted, but I still felt pretty good.

Mile 9 started to turn back into the wind and it had picked up from the last time.  This mile dropped back into the bottom of the canyon and I between running into the wind and going downhill it evened out to a decent pace.  Everything was still looking pretty good here.  A tiny bit behind pace overall, but still thought I had a chance.  4th aid station down at the bottom.  Drank 1 cup of water and 1 on my head.  Really starting to get warm.

Mile 10 was back up the canyon then back down into it again.  Did the brisk walk up the hill again and then fast down the other side.  Pretty much figured out that I wasn't going to make 1:50 here.  Didn't rule it completely out, but knew I was really going to have to crush those last 3 miles to make it.  The 209 max HR spike was a glitch with me pouring water on me.  I adjusted my strap and it went right back down to where it should be.

Mile 11 was tough!  still somewhat sheltered from the wind down in the bottom, but it was really blowing.  REALLY looking for the next aid station.  I was burning up.

Mile 12 was where I fell apart.  I couldn't remember where the aid station had been on the first lap and thought that somehow they had taken it down.  I was crushed.  I was really feeling it and took a short walk break and then picked it back up again.  Turned a corner and guess what, the aid station was right there where it was the first time around!  I walked through it and drank a cup of water and poured another on my head.  Did I mention that I was burning up?  Of course I wasn't thinking very good and when I poured the water on my head this time I shorted out my headphones and they quit.  Big swings in my HR here on the graph, of course it dropped down when I took the walk breaks and that dropped the average.  Really was struggling.

Mile 13 I tried to pick it up again and nut it up to the finish.  That worked for a while and then I ended up taking a walk break again.  Picked it back up and then hit a little hill and walked up it.  With about 1/2 mile to go I decided I could make it the rest of the way no matter what and tried to push it on in.

There was a little hill right before the finish, but I made it up and over and ran to the finish.  I was beat.  And HOT.  I wasn't to disappointed with not making my time, I beat my last half marathon time by over a minute and had originally just wanted to go sub 2 hours on this one since I knew the course was tough.  I had passed my biggest competion in the Clydesdale division at about mile 5 and he hadn't passed me back so I was pretty sure I had one my division anyway.  He ended up finishing at 2:02:11 so I almost ended up beating him by 7 minutes.  I also beat a friend who has beat me at every club race that we've both run in.  She ended up finishing in exactly 2:00:00.

Not sure what I should have done differently when it is all said and done.  I went out a little too fast, but I thought I was about right with the wind behind me at the start.  I did get hot, but not sure what I could have done differently, I guess pour more than 1 cup of water on my head at those last few aid stations.  Looking back I might could have kept from taking those walk breaks on miles 12 and 13, but they only cost me about 45 seconds on each mile so I still wouldn't have made it under 1:50 if I hadn't taken them.

I think it just wasn't meant to be on that day on that course.

Here's the splits with HR information and I added in the net elevation change for each mile.  Total elevation climb per the GPS ended up being 1,002'. 

My max HR is 194 and my Lactate Threshold is 174ish (90%).  One of the running calculators I have says I'm supposed to keep my HR at 169 (87%) for a Half Marathon.  I knew I was over that, but was feeling good and really thought I could hold it all the way through but turned out I wasn't able to.

Splits (GPS Interval)

TypeDistance Split settingsDurationTotal DurationPaceAvg HRMax HRNotes
              1 Manual 1 mi 8:06.51 8:06.51 8:07 86 86 Elev +3  HRM messed up on this mile.
              2 Manual 1 mi 8:16.42 16:22.93 8:17 168 174  Elev +1
              3 Manual 1 mi 8:51.66 25:14.59 8:52 171 177  Elev -58
              4 Manual 1 mi 7:56.18 33:10.77 7:57 172 177  Elev -19
              5 Manual 1 mi 8:22.69 41:33.46 8:23 173 178  Elev -2
              6 Manual 1 mi 8:25.71 49:59.17 8:26 174 180  Elev +16
              7 Manual 1 mi 9:11.04 59:10.21 9:12 176 181 Elev +78 
              8 Manual 1 mi 8:08.99 1:07:19.2 8:09 177 190  Elev -8
              9 Manual 1 mi 8:06.01 1:15:25.21 8:07 179 194  Elev -130
              10 Manual 1 mi 9:19.18 1:24:44.39 9:20 181 209  Elev +25
              11 Manual 1 mi 8:33.29 1:33:17.68 8:34 179 186  Elev +31
              12 Manual 1 mi 9:13.23 1:42:30.91 9:14 175 182  Elev -27
              13 Manual 1 mi 9:11.31 1:51:42.22 9:12 174 188

Elev +27

14 Manual 0.35 mi 2:41.78 1:54:24 7:43 183 191

Oh well, I'm happy with the end result even if I didn't make my goal.

Nathan

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

WTG! Great racing. Temps are out of our control. 70 F and 25 mph winds. You crushed it. You beat all your pervious competitors.Tough course,high temps and wind. Congrats.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

BeeRunB

Nice win, Nathan! Cool

1:54 is a solid time; variables such as the wind are always going to affect PR bids. The 1st place finish in your division says a lot about how you're doing. Congratulations. Enjoy the ride!

--Jimmy

BeeRunB

Peachtree City 25k

Sunday November 11, 2012

This 25k/50k race takes place on a 5.18 mile loop that was part of a web of undulating golf cart paths and tunnels that connect the different areas of Peachtree City, Georgia (about 40 minutes south of Atlanta. Didn't see a golf course, so I assume this is one of the ways the residents get around. Saw a lot of golf carts during the race, and not one of them carried golfers or clubs. These carts were traveling a lot faster than what I've seen on golf courses. Some of these riders must have tinkered with the speed governors. As the race progressed into the morning, cutting tangents to blind curves became a bit more risky,  but I found this to be a charming detail that makes the race unique. There were 48 runners in the 25k, and 43 in the 50k, which made for a LOT of running room. It got very spread out quickly. From the time I arrived to do my warm-up run to the end when I was shuffling around eating one of the wide selection of post-race bagels, the event felt laid-back, friendly, and almost like a fun-run---even though this was some serious distance, and people were racing.

The race started on time, and immediately I knew my legs were not recovered from the interval workout I did five days prior. They felt sore and lead-filled. My plan was to do this race in a progressive way, making each loop faster than the one before. I was unsure coming in just how fast I could go, though. My prediction was 2:30:00, give or take 15 minutes, based on how fast my intervals were at 95% MHR, my weight, and my current MAF. Sort of an educated guess.

I wore my heart rate monitor to make sure I didn't get into my lactate-producing zone early on. The Team Oregon Pace Wizard gives me a 175 bpm average heart rate for a 25 k, which is right on  my LT number. I tried to keep my HR below that for the first half of the race. I got into a groove of averaging about 10:30-10:40 a mile, some slower and some faster. My HR got to 175 by mile 9. The plan was to let my HR get much higher than 175 in the last half of the race, perhaps with HR peaking as high as 190,  but that was not to be. I just couldn't move my legs any faster. They were just too tired by mile 10. My HR stayed in the 174-178 range until the end, but I slowed down a lot.

I managed to run the whole way, which felt like a win. I haven't run longer than a 10k race in 4 years. My weight is at sea-cow level, and my longest run in training has been 14 miles. So, I couldn't really expect much more than a "finisher's--- ran all the way" high. When I was done, I felt like I had run a marathon. My legs were so tired and sore. After enjoying one of the delicious post-race bagels, I waddled back to my car.

I learned some things from not only the race, but also from some training choices I made in the weeks beforehand. I know I can cover 15 miles in a race. That's encouraging. My mental game wasn't too far off. I managed to keep my mind from getting negative, and kept it focused on rhythm, form, breathing and environment most of the time. Some of the slowing in the end was mental, but I kept going despite wanting to stop. That's encouraging. I had a good time getting out there again. I tried to pass people and looked back to see if anyone was going to pass me that last mile. FUN! I haven't lost my joy for racing. Taking 15 months in between running races can make one wonder if the zest is still there---it is!Cool

I've concluded, after this recent interval training (along with a past attempt with equally intense Fartlek in 2008), I don't think intervals run in the intensity of 95% MHR (5k pace) are good for me or my running. I don't recover from them fast enough and they essentially shut me down from any effective training or racing for the following week. I'll be sticking to tempos at LT or slower as the most intense workout from here on in.

I recommend this event. Well done. An example of a race with it's heart in the spirit of running and not big business. And I'll be returning next year, if life allows.

Datahol

split     HR   
                    10:52  149      
                    09:53  160      
                    10:31  164      
                    10:30  167      
                    10:35  167      
                    11:16  168      
                    10:18  167      
                    10:30  171      

09:56  173

10:53  175

11:51  176

10:39  176

11:27  177

12:12  174

13:10  176

00:14  174

2:44:52

10:36 pace

Overall place: 25th of 48

Division: 3rd of 4

Me Division: 1st of 1

Zen Division: zero of zero

Winner of Best Sea-Cow impression award

bagel of choice: cinnamon raisin swirl

--Jimmy Cool

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Jimmy glad you enjoyed it. Darkside running puts on some of the best events in town. Their next race is a New Year Day marathon.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

labhiker

Nice race Jimmy -WTG. 

labhiker

BeeRunB

Thanks, guys! Stlll a little sore, but ready to get back to training.Cool

I was very inspired by Jimmy's race.  Congrats on that race.  After reading Jimmys report, I made my decision to run a 5k race on Thanksgiving morning.  Even though I do not feel in very good shape.  This race this morning, I think, re-ingnited my passion for running.

This has been an off year.  I have only averaged about  50 miles per month, and this morning was my second race this year.  In past years, I have been able to run about 90 miles per month.

So, this morning was a beautiful Fall day, bright sunny, autumn leaves everywhere, and about 42 degrees out.  Perfect!  And we had a very large turnout.  They ran out of bib numbers, so I just ran the race unofficially. 

At the end of my warmup, which I did at a very easy pace, I was slightly winded.  Wow!  I thought, my breathing and HR should not be so high just from that.  So, I was a little worried, but once the race started, everythng felt good.

Below are my results.

3.05 miles (slightly short 5k coarse)

23:33 (7:44 pace)

HR Avg = 176 (Max 178)

My first mile was at about a 7:20 pace, then second mile was about a 7:40 pace, and the last mile was about an 8:10 pace.  So, I got progressively slower, while my breathing got progressively heavier.

But, I loved it.  All I could think about is next spring and how I would like to get back into it more. 

Now that I have all my years of data to look at, I can easily see that going from about 50 miles per month to 90 miles per month should result in about  40 seconds per mile improvement.  When I was running 90 miles per month, I was able to run 5k races in the low 7s minutes per mile pace.

gregw

Great to see everybody still at it.  I've been AWOL for a while.  I just wanted to share a benefit of slow running that might be glossed over:  it lets you clear your head!  My mileage dropped a lot over the last 6 months as the demands of work took their toll and I had trouble rationalizing the time.  I also wasn't enjoying running very much and probably didn't try as hard to "get it in" as I would.  I'd try to make it more efficient by doing more workouts as well.  Running less just stressed me more.  The low was when I bagged an out-of-state marathon I'd signed up for.  Eventually I was watching Google tech talks on youtube and saw a guy dressed as a Buddhist monk (Ricard Matthieu).  He was giving a talk about happiness and meditation.  It made me re-remember one of the key benefits of running, especially slow running, that I'd always been aware of -- it's essentially meditation.  When people would ask what I was thinking about on those long runs, I'd say "everything and nothing."

As always happens when I get off track with running, I went back to MAF.  For the last 6 weeks, I've run *very* slowly on the same 7.8 mile route.  Heart rates ~130 (I'm 41) and paces in the 10:30-11:30 range.  I'd listen to my body, stopping to stretch if I felt a niggle.  I'd admire the leaves and watched them change color over the weeks.  I don't think I broke 9:45 on a single mile.  Last week I finally got a full 7 days of running and about 55 miles.  Yesterday I did a turkey trot and ran 20:34, so I think I'm finally back on track.  I have a ways to go before I can attempt a PR in anything, but I now think I'm not too old yet.

As an aside, I tried treating the race itself as meditation, focusing on my breathing, paying attention to my body, but trying not to feed the negative thoughts that come during the hard parts of the race.  It was by far the easiest 5k I've ever run.  My HR was 189 (versus my usual 192) in the last mile, so maybe I didn't go all out, but it was pretty close and the race just flew by.  I also passed a guy at the end that I swear I normally would have let go because I'd rationalize that it wasn't worth the extra pain.

BeeRunB

I was very inspired by Jimmy's race.  Congrats on that race.  After reading Jimmys report, I made my decision to run a 5k race on Thanksgiving morning.  Even though I do not feel in very good shape.  This race this morning, I think, re-ingnited my passion for running.

This has been an off year.  I have only averaged about  50 miles per month, and this morning was my second race this year.  In past years, I have been able to run about 90 miles per month.

So, this morning was a beautiful Fall day, bright sunny, autumn leaves everywhere, and about 42 degrees out.  Perfect!  And we had a very large turnout.  They ran out of bib numbers, so I just ran the race unofficially. 

At the end of my warmup, which I did at a very easy pace, I was slightly winded.  Wow!  I thought, my breathing and HR should not be so high just from that.  So, I was a little worried, but once the race started, everythng felt good.

Below are my results.

3.05 miles (slightly short 5k coarse)

23:33 (7:44 pace)

HR Avg = 176 (Max 178)

My first mile was at about a 7:20 pace, then second mile was about a 7:40 pace, and the last mile was about an 8:10 pace.  So, I got progressively slower, while my breathing got progressively heavier.

But, I loved it.  All I could think about is next spring and how I would like to get back into it more. 

Now that I have all my years of data to look at, I can easily see that going from about 50 miles per month to 90 miles per month should result in about  40 seconds per mile improvement.  When I was running 90 miles per month, I was able to run 5k races in the low 7s minutes per mile pace.

Good to see you out there again, Run. Keep gong, man!

--Jimmy Cool