Low HR Training

"Race Report & Upcoming Races" Thread (Read 7737 times)

Consistently Slow

I just ran my first race in a looooong time: the Big Gay Race 5K in Minneapolis. Ran with a friend who's much faster than I am when she's in shape, but she hasn't run in months. I committed to sticking with her. Turns out, I'm pretty sure I could've PR'd if I hadn't. I ran the first mile well under my PR pace and felt strong. She needed to walk, though.

It was a long course, so 3.46 miles in 41:29, by my TomTom. HR 159/184. I'm happy with it.

Congrats!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Nice run, Ray. 

Consistently Slow

Senoia 60 hour--unofficial

121.8 miles.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

Senoia 60 hour--unofficial

121.8 miles.

WOW! That's an amazing feat, Ron. Wow.  122 miles. 60 hours. Congrats. That's so impressive. I don't know about anyone else but I want to know more about your experience. Did I say wow? 

(recover well)

Consistently Slow

Miles for Maria 6 hour 5:23:30 for 26.65 miles. I stop at the marathon distance. I was standing at the finish line taking pictures. The RD told me  I was in1st place with a 2 lap lead, The laps were 0.65 miles or 1.04km. The clock had 14:30 left before 6 hours. I did 1 more lap because he would need to run close to a 11:30 pace.

Laps per hour

1-------7

2-------9

3-------7

4-------7

5-------7

5.5----4

1 lap 8:00

Total----42 laps----27.3 miles

Male Overall 6 hour winner

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

Miles for Maria 6 hour 5:23:30 for 26.65 miles. I stop at the marathon distance. I was standing at the finish line taking pictures. The RD told me  I was in1st place with a 2 lap lead, The laps were 0.65 miles or 1.04km. The clock had 14:30 left before 6 hours. I did 1 more lap because he would need to run close to a 11:30 pace.

Laps per hour

1-------7

2-------9

3-------7

4-------7

5-------7

5.5----4

1 lap 8:00

Total----42 laps----27.3 miles

Male Overall 6 hour winner

Congratulations on 1st place, Ron! 

Consistently Slow

20 miles done. Lots of walking

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

Thread revival. 

Haven't raced in a long time (a few years), and haven't run a half marathon in a VERY long time. I think it was the end of June...I was lamenting about how much I used to enjoy racing, so I decided to create a new direction and signed up for some half marathons, and started training. In fact, I started running again after pretty much walking through the spring.  I also concentrated on dropping some weight.

This morning I ran the Atlanta Track Club's Thanksgiving Day Half Marathon. Perfect weather, in the 40's and low humidity. My biggest worry was about feeling cold before the race. Atlanta and TM training has made me weak in that regard. But I just  ran around for 20 minutes and was fine.

Since it's been so long, I ran this race using a heart rate plan. Team Oregon Pace Wizard gives me an average HR of 177 bpm for a half. I wanted to average that approximately. My plan was to get up to 160 bpm and stay below 175 bpm for the first 6.5 miles, then just let the HR go up over. I was hoping to beat the 2:30 pace group. Although, I had very little information about how fast I could actually go maintaining a racing HR. It was a fun race---well organized as usual. Lots of sites to see. And hilly, hilly, hilly. It felt like I was always running uphill in the second half.  Probably more downhill in the first half, and the splits show that. Anyway, here's the datahol:

SPLIT

HR (bpm)

NOTES  

0:11:23

0:11:06

0:10:58

0:21:28

mile3+4 (10:44 pace)

0:11:39

0:10:41

0:11:58

0:11:17

0:11:21

0:11:39

0:11:48

0:12:59

last 1.1 (pace 11:42)

time 2:28:21

ave pace 11:19

ave HR 174

The best I could do with current weight, fitness, and astrological influences. This establishes a benchmark to improve upon. It felt so good to be running with a bunch of people on tar,  with tired legs and maintaining pace, and to feel that soreness walking to my car.

--saw a woman running with a baked turkey hat

--many people in tutus (what's with the tutus?)

--music excruciatingly loud at start and finish line---just no need for it. Feels like an assault after a hard 13 miles.

--saw a sign that read "God is Dope"---I didn't know.

--ran by a walking, crying person and could only think "there's no crying in baseball---I mean running."

Happy Thanksgiving!