Low HR Training

"Race Report & Upcoming Races" Thread (Read 7775 times)

Master of Inconsistency

Congrats on the PR Jesse, " May the wind always be at your back" ( Irish Blessing ) Greg

Ain't  Wastin' Time No More !

run-easy-race-hard

Nice RR's Havanarnr and FF! Jesse, you are still using your 305....is the battery dying prematurely, or just losing signal and getting "bad" data?
      No, the battery is fine. I just suddenly get a "no signal" message after some amount of time and after that point, there's no more GPS. If I stop for a couple of minutes, it will re-sync (which I only do in ultras, never in marathons). Only in races! It almost has to be something do with my arm-swinging when I'm racing. Never goes out in training runs at all, even under heavy tree cover or with lots of buildings around. In fact, I had less problems in races with the 201 (which I wore on my upper arm, so it was less susceptible to my swinging), except that (obviously) it was poor out on the trails.
      gregw

Jesse, I saw the results from runwashington (they were next to the St Patty's 8K I ran) and thought that was a PR. Congratulations! I'm gearing up for Cherry Blossom and the Frederick marathon. I assume you'll be there for Frederick. Great job! Greg

run-easy-race-hard

Jesse, I saw the results from runwashington (they were next to the St Patty's 8K I ran) and thought that was a PR. Congratulations! I'm gearing up for Cherry Blossom and the Frederick marathon. I assume you'll be there for Frederick. Great job! Greg
          Thanks, Greg. Yup, I'll be there for Frederick. Was signed up for Cherry Blossom as well, but my daughter has a cheer tournament, so I had to transfer my registration. HAT run is next, then Bull Run Run and Boston (or maybe not in that order).
            Next Sunday (3/30) I have my first race since starting MAF training. It's a 15k that we use for a marathon tune up. It's a rolling course, and a good challenge, but I wouldn't call it hard by any means. I need a little feedback on strategy. Part of me wants to go out and see how fast i can run it. I think I could get to 9:30's or so, which would give me a 5 minute PR for the course. However, the more practical side of me says that I should use it to test my marathon pace. My goal for the marathon is to break a 4:30, and I think my training should easily support that. So, maybe I try to maintain even 10 minute miles the entire time. Or, maintain the 10's until the last 2 and then pick it up. Also, I should know my Anaerobic Threshold and my RQ values by then, so they may play into the strategy. Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions for the "race?"

run-easy-race-hard

I would just go by feel - make it comfortably challenging and don't worry about pace so much. If you're feeling good about 5.5 miles in, just slowly starting increasing the intensity and throw it all out there for the last mile and a half or so. Keep in mind I'm about the exact opposite of most of the other folks here in that I go by effort (i.e., heart rate) in a race and not by pace (in the second half of races, I use a mix of feel, heart rate, and pace). However, that doesn't mean that without knowing much about my own experience for a distance that I'll set a heart rate plan before the race and stick with it. Just get a feel for how particular heart rates feel during the race and use some logic.
                I would just go by feel - make it comfortably challenging and don't worry about pace so much. If you're feeling good about 5.5 miles in, just slowly starting increasing the intensity and throw it all out there for the last mile and a half or so. Keep in mind I'm about the exact opposite of most of the other folks here in that I go by effort (i.e., heart rate) in a race and not by pace (in the second half of races, I use a mix of feel, heart rate, and pace). However, that doesn't mean that without knowing much about my own experience for a distance that I'll set a heart rate plan before the race and stick with it. Just get a feel for how particular heart rates feel during the race and use some logic.
                Actually, I did plan to run with the monitor to gather data for my marathon. The four MP miles of my 20 miler were averaged 156 BPM and maxed at 164. My thought is to run around my 10 minute pace and hopefully be in the 160 BPM range. I think If I can be at or below that for the race, it will bode well for the marathon. I'll be sure to post my results here next Sunday.
                  Next Sunday (3/30) I have my first race since starting MAF training. It's a 15k that we use for a marathon tune up. It's a rolling course, and a good challenge, but I wouldn't call it hard by any means.
                  Hey CfKid, I'm in a very similar boat to you, got a 14.1km fun run race next Sunday also. Very excited to a run at pace. My marathon is still 14 weeks away after this run so this is purely a way for me to celebrate the end of a dedicated MAF period. Aiming for 1:10:30 or below. Good luck in yours and I'll be wishing you well as I huff and puff Hank

Just running for the fun of it!

Hank- good luck on Sunday. CfKid- in case it helps, my wife and other coaches in her group are going to be unofficial pacers at the 15k Sunday in case you end up wanting to hit a round number pace (i.e. 9:30, 10:00) and don't have a GPS device. Look for pace signs at the start.
                      Hank- good luck on Sunday. CfKid- in case it helps, my wife and other coaches in her group are going to be unofficial pacers at the 15k Sunday in case you end up wanting to hit a round number pace (i.e. 9:30, 10:00) and don't have a GPS device. Look for pace signs at the start.
                      Thanks Ace. I have a few friends that are very consistant, but I'm not sure what pace they want to run. What pace is your wife running? I'm assuming way to fast for me...
                        Thanks Ace. I have a few friends that are very consistant, but I'm not sure what pace they want to run. What pace is your wife running? I'm assuming way to fast for me...
                        I think she was assigned a pace somewhere in the 8's. I may be there to spectate if we have a sitter, and then run slower with my wife some after the race. She's doing her long run that day since Boston will be 3 weeks +1 day out.
                          I think she was assigned a pace somewhere in the 8's. I may be there to spectate if we have a sitter, and then run slower with my wife some after the race. She's doing her long run that day since Boston will be 3 weeks +1 day out.
                          My bib is 1785... so you can look for me.
                          BeeRunB

Good luck this weekend, Mark and Hank. Look forward to your reports. Have fun! --Jimmy
                              My bib is 1785... so you can look for me.
                              We could not land a sitter, so I won't be there. Good luck. Hopefully the predicted thunderstorms will hold off until after the race.

Master of Inconsistency

Good Luck Hank & Mark ! You guys are gonna kick ass ! Big grin Greg

Ain't  Wastin' Time No More !