Low HR Training

Adjusting MAF for fat adatped athletes??? (Read 33 times)

offthegrid

long & slow

I was listening to a podcast with Peter Defty from VESPA (On Ketovangelist Podcast) and he mentioned that fat adapted athletes/runners regularly have heart rates (RHR) around 10 to 15 beats higher than glucose burners (and that this is a good thing) As such he adjusts the MAF formula to 200 minus age (and the corresponding adjustments) for fully fat adapted runners.  I've also noticed that my RHR is higher than it used to be and am now entering into a build phase after some time off. I've been ketogenic for a few months and drifted in and out regularly before that. I was curious if the adjustment was recommended? Or just stick to 180 formula?  I'm 47 year old active athlete. Strength train 4-5 days per week and run/trail run 4 days per week. Defty also said this was referenced in Volek's FASTER Study. Thoughts?

@runoffgrid

BeeRunB

Before even considering a different MAF, I would have a lot of questions if my RHR was that much higher.

Why is it higher? Why is the body more stressed at rest. That's what a raised RHR indicates, higher stress on the heart.

What is stressing it?

Have you been taking your pulse manually? Be aware that this keto method can cause potassium deficiency, as sodium gets flushed from the body during ketosis, and potassium right with it. Make sure your heart is beating normally.

I feel it's important that I relate my own story with the keto-adaption method as taught in the Phinney and Volek book. I believe this living in ketosis method can be harmful. I speak from experience with the method, as I tried it for about 4-5 months, thinking it would turn me into some fat-burning super-me athlete, but the opposite happened. My aerobic speed fell from about a 12-13:00 to 20:00. And hadn't recovered after a few months, when I stopped running all together and just walked. Living in ketosis is not pleasant for a significant other or spouse, due to the bad keto breath and body odor (that never went away until I got out of ketosis). Also, mineral deficiencies can arise. I experienced some frightening symptoms from being in ketosis for so long due to potassium deficiency and god knows what else. I increased salt like they said in the book, but it didn't help. The symptoms disappeared soon after returning to a normal 45-50% carb diet. My decimated aerobic speed  soon began to recover as well.

If your RHR is high, I don't think that's good. I also don't think they've studied this long enough to say how good this is for a human to always be in ketosis.

Good luck. Stay healthy.

marryjanes

Before even considering a different MAF, I would have a lot of questions if my RHR was that much higher.

Why is it higher? Why is the body more stressed at rest. That's what a raised RHR indicates, higher stress on the heart.

What is stressing it?

Have you been taking your pulse manually? Be aware that this keto method can cause potassium deficiency, as sodium gets flushed from the body during ketosis, and potassium right with it. Make sure your heart is beating normally.

I feel it's important that I relate my own story with the keto-adaption method as taught in the Phinney and Volek book. I believe this living in ketosis method can be harmful. I speak from experience with the method, as I tried it for about 4-5 months, thinking it would turn me into some fat-burning super-me athlete, but the opposite happened. My aerobic speed fell from about a 12-13:00 to 20:00. And hadn't recovered after a few months, when I stopped running all together and just walked. Living in ketosis is not pleasant for a significant other or spouse, due to the bad keto breath and body odor (that never went away until I got out of ketosis). Also, mineral deficiencies can arise. I experienced some frightening symptoms from being in ketosis for so long due to potassium deficiency and god knows what else. I increased salt like they said in the book, but it didn't help. The symptoms disappeared soon after returning to a normal 45-50% carb diet. My decimated aerobic speed  soon began to recover as well.

If your RHR is high, I don't think that's good. I also don't think they've studied this long enough to say how good this is for a human to always be in ketosis.

Good luck. Stay healthy.

Thank you a great deal. Your comment provided me with an abundance of knowledge, helping me to expand my horizons.

quordle unlimited

Mnaisoa

The information you provide is quite helpful to me and to everyone else. I frequently watch them to gather facts before playing the hockey game puppet hockey

sophy67

Excellent stuff; I'll let my friends know about it and have them check it out. I appreciate you sharing! Whenever you have more time, go to: foodle