Low HR Training

Racing to Heart Rate? Any Success Stories? (Read 28 times)

SD_BlackHills

Hi all,

This being a low heart rate training forum, I'd thought I'd fish for some stories (good or bad) of people using a heart rate monitor in a race.  I was thinking about doing this in my upcoming marathon, mainly because the course is a net downhill with some uphill sections.  It's only flat for about 1.5 miles making it very difficult to predict actual pace.

There are 3 approaches that I'm considering:

1.  Feel

2.  Lap Pace

3.  Heart Rate

In the first road race marathon that I did last fall, I ran the first 10 miles or so by "Lap Pace" on my Garmin and then ran the rest of the way by feel.  Needless to say, I bonked at about mile 21.

I've read stories about people PR'ing by running purely by feel.  I was also considering running to pace but the math gets messy when factoring in how much to speed up or slow down in order to maintain an even effort over varying grades.

I did find a forum over at LetsRun that discusses the fact that most people run the marathon at their best when starting at about 85% of maximum HR and averaging about 88% over the course of the whole race.  So I was considering simply running the first mile or 2 at about 83% (about 160 bpm for me) and increasing to about 85-88% range until mile 20 (163-169 bpm) at which point the real race starts and I'd ignore HR completely.  Hopefully this will prevent bonking and allow me to actually finish strong.  For what it's worth, I ran my previous marathon at an HR in the low 170's for the first 20 miles before my heart rate dropped when I hit the wall.  My average for the race was 171 (including the drop at the end during the fade).  I didn't look at my HR at all during the race.

Anyway, any good stories to tell?  Advice to be shared?  Thanks!

Docket_Rocket

I used to run marathons by HR.  At 155, based on my experience.  Look at my marathon PR (on my log - A1A Ft. Lauderdale Marathon) and you will see how I did it.  I need to go back to that instead of by pace.  I was faster when I raced by X HR depending on the distance. My Marathon HR is around 80% of my Max, so I don't even get to 85%.  If I start at 85%, I would either crashed or get an asthma attack.  YMMV.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SD_BlackHills

I used to run marathons by HR.  At 155, based on my experience.  Look at my marathon PR (on my log - A1A Ft. Lauderdale Marathon) and you will see how I did it.  I need to go back to that instead of by pace.  I was faster when I raced by X HR depending on the distance. My Marathon HR is around 80% of my Max, so I don't even get to 85%.  If I start at 85%, I would either crashed or get an asthma attack.  YMMV.

Thanks Docket!  It looks like that marathon was expertly run.  Your HR started low and rose very, very slowly from beginning to end and you never really pushed the HR too high.

I'm hoping to see something similar with my HR during my upcoming race with HR at the end approaching LT.  If only I knew what my HR currently is at LT so that I can stay safely below it until then end.  I'm sure that magic number is changing month by month.  The 85%-90% MaxHR targets for the marathon were for runners with very, very strong aerobic engines and was true for samples of runners running between 3:35 and 2:30.  It's difficult to say if 85% MaxHR is below my LT or not without some experimentation.

npaden

I've gotten pretty lazy about using my HR monitor but I tend to dust mine off for my big goal races.

I'm about to run a big downhill marathon and have been trying to figure out what to do on my pacing for it.

Having the HR monitor really helps to re-affirm that I'm not working too hard on the early miles even though I'm running faster with the net downhill.

This is a really good calculator tool that I've used in the past to help give some general guidelines that help you know you are in the right HR zone at the right time in the race.  https://feelrace.com/fr.pl?th=MARCO

You have to be trained properly for the race for it to work though, if you are under trained, you won't boink under this method but you won't be able to hit the faster paces that they call for at the end.

Good luck!

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

npaden

Using that MARCO calculator, I try to keep my HR in the zones it calculates more than I try to keep my pace at the calculation.  As long as my HR is in the right area I tend to have a good race.  If my HR is higher early that is a very good sign that I'm not going to make my goal that day and I need to back off early.

Here's my results from the MARCO based on my personal max HR (191) and a couple marathons I've run.

Marathon 1 was my first and I was very focused on both HR and pace.  It had a few hills and I adjusted my pace on the hills.  I was very well trained for that marathon I thought.

Marathon 2 was a 2,000' downhill for the first 16 miles then rolling hills until another big downhill on mile 25.  I was faster but not as well trained for it as I was the first one.

Mile - MARCO HR - Marathon 1 HR - Marathon 2 HR (avg HR for that mile)

1 - 150 - 152 - 142

2 - 152 - 157 - 147

3 - 157 - 156 - 151

4 - 158 - 156 - 155

5 - 158 - 161 - 157

6 - 158 - 159 - 156

7 - 159 - 166 - 157 (big hill on Marathon 1 on this mile - I slowed my pace but my HR still climbed)

8 - 159 - 165 - 159

9 - 160 - 164 - 157

10 - 165 - 158 - 159 (MARCO has you picking up speed here, I kind of kept the same pace in both marathons)

11 - 165 - 155 - 157

12 - 166 - 157 - 161

13 - 166 - 160 - 161

14 - 166 - 159 - 163

15 - 167 - 160 - 163

16 - 167 - 164 - 158 (I had a bathroom break on Marathon 2 here)

17 - 168 - 162 - 168

18 - 173 - 166 - 169 (MARCO has you picking up speed here again, I kind of kept the same pace)

19 - 173 - 168 - 171

20 - 174 - 170 - 169  (I started to struggle here in Marathon 2, my HR said I could go harder but mentally I didn't think so)

21 - 175 - 173 - 171

22 - 175 - 172 - 169

23 - 175 - 175 - 165 (More struggling in Marathon 2 - I think this was my slowest mile of the race)

24 - 175 - 176 - 171

25 - 176 - 177 - 165 (big downhill in Marathon 2)

26 - 176 - 176 - 169

I actually ran faster in Marathon 2 (Huff 2 Bluff), than Marathon 1 (Flying Pig), but I ran a better race in Marathon 1.

You can see I was fairly close on HR on both marathons and lower than the MARCO calculator as well up until mile 20 or so.  At that point in marathon 1 I was able to keep at it and max it out.  Marathon 2 I struggled when it was time to pick it up at the end and couldn't pull it off.  Part of that was conditions went bad about that time on marathon 2 as well and on marathon 1 conditions stayed really good to the end.  Mostly I think I just wasn't as well trained for marathon 2 especially mentally I just didn't want it as badly I guess.  I couldn't make myself push as hard those last 6 miles.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

SD_BlackHills

Thanks npaden!  This is exactly the kind of information that I was fishing for.  I'm simply amazed at how much gas you had left in the tank at the end.  That's awesome!  Did you run negative splits?  Did your paces vary much from beginning to end?

Our MaxHR's are very close.  I find it interesting just how low of an HR they recommend on miles 1 and 2.  That's crazy low!  I'm also interested how you don't actually hit target marathon pace until Mile 10.  At mile 10 is the exact same target percentage of MaxHR that I've read from other sources for the marathon.  This method is boldly going for a negative split which is not easy to do but then again, I haven't tried this.  Just for kicks, I'll do what you just did with my first road marathon which was last fall and display Marco recommended heart rate vs my actual.  It wasn't until recently that I even looked at (or cared about) my heart rate data from that race.

Mile - MARCO HR - Marathon HR - Mile split

1  -  154  -  171  -  7:04  (Wayyyyy over MARCO suggestion)

2  -  156  -  172  -  7:13

3  -  160  -  172  -  7:09

4  -  161  -  176  -  6:53

5  -  161  -  174  -  7:00

6  -  162  -  169  -  7:21

7  -  162  -  172  -  7:04

8  -  163  -  173  -  7:04

9  -  163  -  170  -  7:13

10  -  168  -  168  - 7:11  (Catches up with MARCO suggestion on Mile 10)

11  -  168  -  167  -  7:23

12  -  168  -  168  -  6:57

13  -  169  -  171  -  7:11

14  -  169  -  171  -  7:02

15  -  170  -  172  -  7:08

16  -  170  -  172  -  6:55

17  -  171  -  170  -  7:15

18  -  175  -  171  -  7:17  (Can no longer keep up with MARCO suggested HR, wheels are starting to come off)

19  -  176  -  169  -  7:26

20  -  176  -  170  -  7:23

21  -  176  -  168  -  7:41  (In serious trouble at this point.  It actually felt like I was running 12 minute miles)

22  -  177  -  167  -  7:51  (Completely bonked)

23  -  177  -  163  -  7:59

24  -  178  -  163  -  8:21  (True to what HR data miners say about the bonk, your HR actually goes down after hitting the wall)

25  -  178  -  162  -  8:24

26  -  179  -  161  -  8:04  (Digging deep here)

0.2 -  179  -  160  -  6:45  (It's amazing what you can do when you see the finish line)

It's pretty clear to me that ignoring HR could have easily been my downfall in this race.  I was simply hitting mile split targets within reason and that was that.

Npaden, since you are doing a net downhill marathon, I think it's especially important to watch this.  At least for me personally, I'm a terrible judge of effort unless it's a sprint (I'm reasonably sure that is over 95% effort ).  From what I understand, for each 1% grade downhill if you subtract about 8 seconds per mile that will maintain an even effort.  However, I wouldn't just flat out trust those numbers!

Good luck!  Please post your results as I'm very interested to see how it went.

npaden

I'm not sure many folks can match the big negative split that MARCO recommends, but it has to be better than the big positive split that most folks run in the marathon.

My first race was a slight negative split.  1:54:34 at the half and 3:48:09 at the finish so the 2nd half was 1:53:35.

The 2nd race I posted above was a blow up.  Not only was the first half all downhill and the 2nd half wasn't, but the temperature got warm and it had a 20 mph headwind at the end.  Pretty tough conditions.  1:45:21 1st half and 1:50:47 2nd half.

Docket_Rocket

I have never raced using the MARCO recommendations, but once I got a 9 minute negative split at the Disney Marathon on a hot day and I could have probably PRd then if I had not started as easy as I did but felt awesome (that race was 30 seconds OFF my PR).  I broke the PR a month later at the race you saw on my log.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

BeeRunB

I've never used a HRM as a governor in a race, only to train. I'm pretty good at figuring out my pace beforehand with particular training runs (using particular HR zones) combined with the Team Oregon Pace Wiz. I did wear one a few times in races just to gather HR information for training. I do have some interesting HR information from the Sugarloaf Marathon I ran in 2006. That marathon was a climb for the first ten miles, then a steady rolling hills with net down the second half. I didn't use the HRM as a governor, just to gather info as I tried to stick to my pace plan:

Mile Ave Pace Ave HR
                    1) 8:30 152
                    2) 8:32 159
                    3) 8:16 162
                    4) 8:11 167
                    5) 8:10 168
                    6) 8:11 171
                    7) 8:17 171
                    8) 8:13 170
                    9) 9:00 173
                    10) 8:35 171
                    11) 7:58 169
                    12) 7:46 168
                    13) 7:38 175
                    14) 7:46 175
                    15) 7:47 173
                    16) 7:35 172
                    17) 7:25 174
                    18) 7:46 176
                    19) 7:36 179
                    20) 7:51 181
                    21) 7:58 181
                    22) 8:17 180
                    23) 8:18 179
                    24) 7:54 183
                    25) 7:33 187
                    25.2) 1:42 (7:46) 189
                    26.2) 7:33 189

1st half 1:49:15 (8:20) 167 (84%MHR)
                    2nd half 1:41:17 (7:44) 179 (90% MHR)
                    TOTAL 3:30:32 (BQ) 173 (87% MHR)

In this race, I came in heavy at 181 lbs. ( I was ten pounds lighter for my PR)  my quads were wrecked by mile 22-23 from all the downhills, and mentally, I was faltering. I knew I wouldn't beat my 3:28 PR at that point and felt disappointed, but maybe I could qualify for Boston (needed to beat 3:31:00). This race didn't have a lot of runners (281) and it was pretty spread out by the last 6 miles. Some guy passed me, and I decided I would race him. I managed to dig deep and run my fastest splits. My HR reached 195 in the final "sprint." I made a BQ by 28 seconds.

I usually started out slower than my goal pace for a marathon. All the elder marathoners in my running club at the time always told me to start slow or you'll pay for it in the end (this is why so many runners I've known hit the wall at Boston, they start out too fast in that net downhill start). Then I get to planned pace and try to hold it.

If I made HR plan from this information, I would start out well below the planned average HR. I can maintain an average HR of 87%MHR in a marathon. I would start out at about 77% MHR and slowly get my HR up to the 85-88% MHR range, then stay in that zone, until the last 6-7 miles, during which I'd let my HR rise to 90% or higher as I try to maintain pace and dig deep and see if I can push it at the end, letting HR near MHR.

I've never run an extremely hot marathon. I ran one that got over 70º and that made it very hard--I had to slow myself intentionally half way through (a faster club member I was running alongside for a few miles didn't slow himself, and I passed him eventually and beat him by 14 minutes). I can't imagine running one any harder than that without a HRM. Following a HR plan during a hot marathon could really save one's ass. So many people go into a hot marathon shooting for what they think is a normal pace for a marathon, but due to the heat, they're probably running closer to half marathon or 30k pace (heat adjusted).

SD_BlackHills

Wow, what great stories!  

I'm learning a lot from you guys.  I'm very thankful for your input.

Docket -- I think it's interesting that you state you felt you went out too slow, ran a 9 minute negative split and STILL almost PR'd.  I think there is something to learn from this.  The start of the race needs to be slow!  I'm really beginning to wonder what time I could have run in my last marathon had I kept my first mile under MaxHR of 89%...  (WAY under 89%..)

npaden -- It sounds like your second race would have been impossible to hit a negative split running by any method given the conditions.  Just a subtle reminder that we are still hoping for that perfect weather race.  In my marathon, the wind was blowing about 15 mph on a course that was like a big circle with temperatures in the mid 70's.  So we were running into the wind part of the way.  I took turns with a nearby runner using each other to draft.  The drafting didn't seem to help at all!

jimmyb -- What's interesting about your mile splits is the fact that you naturally were fairly close to what MARCOS recommends without even trying.  There is something pretty awesome about that.  It also highlights the importance of going super easy on the first few miles.  You nailed a Boston qualifier by doing so (I did not qualify).  You seem to know how to select the right pace to shoot for which is obviously a powerful piece of information to have.  You nailed your BQ even on a hilly course going uphill in the beginning which makes target marathon pace even more difficult to estimate.  You mention using particular training runs to particular HR zones to make a fair estimate.  I assume those zones are based off of your known MaxHR and are below MarathonHR Zone?

Overall, it seems the moral of the story is to start slow for about 2 miles and slowly build to target marathon pace.  Running the race to heart rate is not necessarily optimal if you can somehow estimate what target marathon pace should be, but when in doubt follow something close to MARCOS plan.  It looks like the plan that you tailored is very close to MARCOS in general.  

npaden

This is another tool that I've used that has helped me quite a bit.

http://findmymarathon.com/paceband-coursebased.php

If your marathon is in there (they have 375 loaded) you can put in your goal pace and select the type of race you want to run (conservative start, even effort is what I use).

It will help point out where the uphills and downhills are.  It won't help with miles that have both an uphill and a downhill though.

You don't have to pay to load the pace band up if you don't want them to print it out for you.

I run it and then make a note of the miles that are more than 5 seconds faster or slower than the overall pace and make a not of those miles and expect to run those a bit faster or slower due to hills.  This helps line things up with HR as well to some extent.

SD_BlackHills

Wow that is an awesome link.  I did find my marathon on there and it did give me reasonably, not scary mile splits to target.  That could be very helpful.

npaden - Have you run your race yet?  I can't wait to hear the results!

npaden

My race went GREAT!  Having the HRM helped me to not slow down early on, I was running quite a bit faster than I had intended, but my HR was WAY lower than I would have expected so I just kept going.  About mile 3 my quads started talking to me letting me know that this was downhill and I was running faster than normal, but I never did cramp up or anything.  Wasn't confident enough to really start pushing the effort until about mile 20 or so where it started to take more effort to maintain the pace I had been running.  Slowest mile of the race was mile 24 that was the only net uphill mile (a whopping 54') and had about 1/3 of a mile into a strong wind but my effort was good on that mile, the pace was just slow.

https://www.runrevel.com/rmc/results?pk=1526017

I ran a 30 second positive split, but pretty much all of that plus some is from mile 24 with the uphill into the wind section.  If that mile had been at my average pace for the entire race I would have ended up with a slight negative split.

One confidence booster is that I passed 110 people over the last 13.7 miles of the race.  I was in 262nd place at mile 12.5 and finished in 152nd place.  I passed 11 people in the last mile.

The only negative to the race is that I am still REALLY SORE!  Stairs are still a nightmare 48 hours later.  Especially going down!  I've never been this sore after any race, even my 50 miler.

I would say that the downhill helped me between 15 and 20 seconds per mile.  I think I could have still eeked out a BQ on a flat course if the weather conditions were good, but this was a BQ minus 10 minutes so no question at all about getting in if I decide to register.

Here's the HR details if you are interested.  Last 3 numbers are avg pace for that mile, avg HR for that mile and max HR for that mile.

1 Manual 1 mi 7:24.22 7:24.22 7:25 148 157  
                            2 Manual 1 mi 7:03.56 14:27.77 7:04 150 156  
                            3 Manual 1 mi 7:10.07 21:37.85 7:11 146 151  
                            4 Manual 1 mi 7:39.11 29:16.95 7:40 147 164  
                            5 Manual 1 mi 7:22.01 36:38.96 7:23 149 164  
                            6 Manual 1 mi 7:10.41 43:49.37 7:11 146 149  
                            7 Manual 1 mi 7:09.70 50:59.08 7:10 146 152  
                            8 Manual 1 mi 7:14.03 58:13.11 7:15 145 152  
                            9 Manual 1 mi 7:31.98 1:05:45.08 7:32 145 152  
                            10 Manual 1 mi 7:29.53 1:13:14.61 7:30 148 156  
                            11 Manual 1 mi 7:33.91 1:20:48.52 7:34 151 155  
                            12 Manual 1 mi 7:25.89 1:28:14.41 7:26 151 157  
                            13 Manual 1 mi 7:22.15 1:35:36.56 7:23 154 165  
                            14 Manual 1 mi 7:16.30 1:42:52.86 7:17 153 159  
                            15 Manual 1 mi 7:16.37 1:50:09.23 7:17 156 162  
                            16 Manual 1 mi 7:20.09 1:57:29.32 7:21 157 159  
                            17 Manual 1 mi 7:23.15 2:04:52.48 7:24 156 159  
                            18 Manual 1 mi 7:18.94 2:12:11.42 7:19 158 160  
                            19 Manual 1 mi 7:20.44 2:19:31.86 7:21 160 165  
                            20 Manual 1 mi 7:18.27 2:26:50.13 7:19 159 162  
                            21 Manual 1 mi 7:21.68 2:34:11.81 7:22 160 163  
                            22 Manual 1 mi 7:22.73 2:41:34.54 7:23 162 167  
                            23 Manual 1 mi 7:21.49 2:48:56.03 7:22 166 170  
                            24 Manual 1 mi 8:16.73 2:57:12.75 8:17 171 179  
                            25 Manual 1 mi 7:38.87 3:04:51.63 7:39 171 177  
                            26 Manual 1 mi 7:15.75 3:12:07.37 7:16 175 179  
                            27 Manual 0.39 mi 2:34.63 3:14:42 6:37 184 188

I had enough in the tank at the end that I was able to push it in pretty good.  Not sure how much time I left out there on the course being so conservative from a HR perspective the first half of the race but I could have easily blown up if I pushed it too hard.

Was a great day for me.

SD_BlackHills

Wow!  Great job NP.  What an unbelievable time!  3:14 is awesome.  You were obviously well prepared for this race.  The Revel races are very challenging with the downhills and need to have a very solid strategy to execute them properly.  I was agonizing over this with a couple of my friends who also ran Mt. Charleston on Saturday on how to best run that race.  Needless to say, it went very well for one of them and not so well with the other.  I just checked the log of my faster friend and he was definitely one of the guys you passed in the last quarter of the race.  You were 1 minute behind him at the 3/4 mark and finished about 3 minutes ahead of him.  Small world.

It looks like your heart rate was under the MARCO's suggestion for most of the marathon but rose at about the same rate that it suggests.  This was probably a very smart approach to this type of race as your heart rate will be quite a bit lower on the downhill but your quads will be taking an absolute beating if you go TOOOOO fast.  It's a delicate balance for sure.  That last mile and a half was CRAZY fast.  That's how you finish a race!!!

Reading your story here reminded me why I love running.  Thanks.

Shondek

The first time I used an HRM to race was for a local marathon in 1995  I decided to do that morning.

I had trained Lydiard style all winter and 6x800s all through the summer.I had worked out that I could comfortably maintain 175bpm over the course and that would give me 6 min/mile pace.

I had worked out that I could comfortably maintain 175bpm over the course and that would give me 6 min/mile pace.

At the start, however, the leading guy took off and disappeared into the distance I didn't need a monitor to tell me I shouldn't stay with him and the chasing group's speed was keeping me down  165-169 so I decided to stay with them rather than run alone.

It was a really hot day (well for a marathon anyway) so was happy to coast along wondering how far ahead the leader was as he was nowhere to be seen.

I just stuck with 165 even though the group was pulling away and racing each other, but they slowly began to crumble and drop out as the heat took its toll which ended up with just 2 of us left chasing the leader.

At the 24 mile mark we saw this lonely figure break dancing in the distance obviously he also started too quickly we quickly overtook him and we sat together until we saw the finish line.At that point I decided to take heart rate up to 200bpm :0)

'Having led for 24 miles, veteran David Fairweather (Cambuslang Harriers) tired badly in the final stages of the Inverclyde marathon and finished in fourth place.   His clubmate, Leo Sho-Silva, finished strongly to win in 2:42:20 just 29 seconds ahead of veteran Andy Stirling.   Gordon Porteous (Maryhill Harriers) the oldest man in the race missed the Over 80 world record by two minutes but set a new British age group best of 3:47:04.    Helen Slimon (City fo Glasgow) won the women’s race by over 38 minutes ahead of the runner-up.    There was also a six-man marathon relay held on the day of the race which was won by Shettleston Harriers in 2;16:23.   Result:

1. L Sho-Silva (Cambuslang)   2:42:20;   2.   A Stirling (Bo’ness RR)   2:42:49;   3.   C Hutt (Kirkcaldy)   2:43:32.   Super veteran:   D Fairweather (Cambuslang)   2:45:33.   '