Low HR Training

Non GPS HRM (Read 466 times)

Hawt and sexy

I need a new non GPS HRM for my indoor season on Javier.

It must have a chest strap and display my HR in numbers, not percentage. What do we think is the best here?

I have a Garmin 405 that I put away for the treadmill season. It gets confused when not running the GPS.

I'm touching your pants.

I need a new non GPS HRM for my indoor season on Javier.

It must have a chest strap and display my HR in numbers, not percentage. What do we think is the best here?

I have a Garmin 405 that I put away for the treadmill season. It gets confused when not running the GPS.

Hi Will,

You can disable the GPS on the Garmin when indoors. On the 305, you just

hold the mode button down and a prompt comes up where you can put it in indoor mode.

My polar RS 100 HRM displays HR in numbers. It's a basic watch. Doesn't store anything

more than the most recent workout. I use it indoors most of the time. Still race with it.

--Jimmy

log   prs      Crusted Salt comic #143

I turn the GPS off on my Garmin 301 when I'm inside on the dreadmill and when I use it to count laps at the pool. When on the dreadmill, I hit the lap button when I've traveled a mile to keep track of HR and pace.

I though pretty hard about getting a Garmin 110 for indoor workouts. If you use an ANT+ dreadmill, it will record the mileage info for you.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Hawt and sexy

I understand that  can turn off my GPS. But then the Garmin gets all silly and beeps for no good reason. Then it wants to move the data to the 'puter. I don't use the data from my treadmill runs, it's just time and HR. So are we saying just deal with the beeps and make little Garmy work Ugh.

MTA-I like never remember to hit the lap button while on Javier. Javier might think I am cheating on him or something. Hmmm

I'm touching your pants.

I understand that  can turn off my GPS. But then the Garmin gets all silly and beeps for no good reason. Then it wants to move the data to the 'puter. I don't use the data from my treadmill runs, it's just time and HR. So are we saying just deal with the beeps and make little Garmy work Ugh.

MTA-I like never remember to hit the lap button while on Javier. Javier might think I am cheating on him or something. Hmmm

why not turn off the beeps. I have it turned off in mine anyway because out in the streets no chance I'll notice it. Smile

after finishing the workout, you can delete the run data if you don't want to upload it to the pc. (though I'm not sure why uploading it is a problem...it's not like we still just have 20MB HDD's :P )

Hi Will,

You can disable the GPS on the Garmin when indoors. On the 305, you just

hold the mode button down and a prompt comes up where you can put it in indoor mode.

My polar RS 100 HRM displays HR in numbers. It's a basic watch. Doesn't store anything

more than the most recent workout. I use it indoors most of the time. Still race with it.

--Jimmy

why do you prefer using the RS100 in races instead of the garmin? (sorry if I got it wrong, sounds like you do have a garmin but maybe not...?)

C-R

I had a Timex HRM prior to the Garmin. Worked great and was inexpensive ($70) and sinked with treadmills. I've given some Reebok versions ($25) as presents. Seemed a good starter unit.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

If you have some money burning a hole in your pocket, try the Garmin FR60. For 100 bucks you get the watch and a HR strap. For 170 you get the foot pod.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

why do you prefer using the RS100 in races instead of the garmin? (sorry if I got it wrong, sounds like you do have a garmin but maybe not...?)

I've tried the Garmin a few times and will probably use it again, but prefer the Polar as a racing watch. It's lighter, smaller,

and only one button to hit. I use the race mile markers to mark distance and splits. Normally, I don't use the HRM in a race,

just the splits watch part of it. I like the Garmin for training outdoors. I use the Polar indoors, and the Garmin as a backup.

My favorite watch use to be a real small Timex splits watch, no HRM. Very light and comfy.

Don't remember what happened to it, but it is gone.

--Jimmy

I've tried the Garmin a few times and will probably use it again, but prefer the Polar as a racing watch. It's lighter, smaller,

and only one button to hit. I use the race mile markers to mark distance and splits. Normally, I don't use the HRM in a race,

just the splits watch part of it. I like the Garmin for training outdoors. I use the Polar indoors, and the Garmin as a backup.

interesting - I guess for breaking the WR it can matter that the garmin 305 is 77g. Smile not sure what you meant by only one button. maybe you have the 405? I can't remember, sorry. (on the 305, it's still just one button to hit for splits.)

interesting - I guess for breaking the WR it can matter that the garmin 305 is 77g. Smile not sure what you meant by only one button. maybe you have the 405? I can't remember, sorry. (on the 305, it's still just one button to hit for splits.)

My Polar has one large button to hit for splits. Since I don't use autolap during a race, and prefer to go by the race markers, I have more than once hit the wrong button on my 305 and stopped the watch (pressing the Start/Stop button instead of LAP). The Polar has just one big idiot button to hit.

---Jimmy

My Polar has one large button to hit for splits. Since I don't use autolap during a race, and prefer to go by the race markers, I have more than once hit the wrong button on my 305 and stopped the watch (pressing the Start/Stop button instead of LAP). The Polar has just one big idiot button to hit.

---Jimmy

ahh, I see what you mean. I guess there is more than one way for being idiot proof, though. Smile 

because, for me the polar button is not idiot proof, I sometimes miss it, somehow it's hard to press and it doesn't always register the button press, I dunno why (I'm not the only one who reported that). very annoying though.

and with the garmin, the buttons are a joy to press and I'm just used to hitting lap button all the time. worst case I hit lap instead of stop at the end. that's no big deal. yes, the opposite would be a problem, happened to me when I was doing intervals and record the recoveries too as laps, but at one point I somehow thought I should just do stop for the recovery part then I got all confused when starting the next interval...so that taught me to just always focus on the lap button.

actually, I've had this problem with the polar too, where instead of back button, I hit lap button at the end of the workout. and I've had the case where I almost hit the back button instead of lap button... :O

maybe there is no way to make something totally idiot proof Smile)

Wasatch Speedgoat

Personally, I prefer the Polar HRMs...they have the sealed chest transmitter with a battery guaranteed for 7 years. I have had Timex in the past and my $300. Suunto and both transmitters leaked into the battery compartment, burning out the batteries. I now use a combo Polar transmitter with my Suunto watch because I like having the altitude function and they work well together. Someday I'll get the top of the line Polar that has altitude and HRM functions in one watch, but don't need to spend that money now.

One thing about the Garmin...a friend of mine has lots of trouble with his readings and after researching it, found that wearing a technical shirt can cause erratic readings due to static. He has to run shirtless all Summer long and today on a cooler, rainy day his HR was all over the place. I've never had this problem with my Polar.

I know I've been among the missing, but I do come and read posts from time to time Wink

How about the new Maffetone book? I'm enjoying it right now! Maybe this belongs in another thread....

Steve

Life is short, play hard!

Personally, I prefer the Polar HRMs...they have the sealed chest transmitter with a battery guaranteed for 7 years. I have had Timex in the past and my $300. Suunto and both transmitters leaked into the battery compartment, burning out the batteries. I now use a combo Polar transmitter with my Suunto watch because I like having the altitude function and they work well together. Someday I'll get the top of the line Polar that has altitude and HRM functions in one watch, but don't need to spend that money now.

One thing about the Garmin...a friend of mine has lots of trouble with his readings and after researching it, found that wearing a technical shirt can cause erratic readings due to static. He has to run shirtless all Summer long and today on a cooler, rainy day his HR was all over the place. I've never had this problem with my Polar.

I know I've been among the missing, but I do come and read posts from time to time Wink

How about the new Maffetone book? I'm enjoying it right now! Maybe this belongs in another thread....

Steve

which garmin model is that? my 305 doesn't mind the technical shirts or rainy/cool day.

the older polar strap with the non replaceable battery, isn't the 7 years more like shelf life? how about running 1 hour everyday? would it still last 7 years? how is it guaranteed if the warranty is only for six months anyway?

btw I have the newer polar strap with replaceable battery. it's made of this textile thing and HR readings reliably fail within six months. good thing the warranty is good for six months, you can just about get it changed for free before warwanty is up...

I used the word reliably because I'm not the only one with this problem. and it is not polar specific, recently garmin also switched to the textile strap (for the 310) and same issues. luckily I have the older plastic strap for the garmin 305 (will work with 310 too) and that isn't going to fail like that. (and the battery is replaceable! the best of 2 worlds! woo hoo!)

Steve

My 301 does this for the first 10 minutes or so, it is rather annoying. I've read about this on other forums as well and one trick is to rub an anti static dryer sheet on the inside of the shirt. It also appears that the looser the shirt, the more the monitor is affected by the static electricity. I've never used this trick myself so I can't comment on how effective it is.

I use a program called SportTracks to upload and analyze my workout data. ST has the ability to edit the HR data points, so I will go and edit the erratic portion of my data set to something that seems more reasonably to get a more accurate HR average for that mile. If the run time is long enough, the erratic portion has no effect on the overall HR average.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life