Low HR Training

Heart Rate Variability (Read 35 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Anybody else in this group use HRV (Heart Rate Variability) to tune their training? We used to consult our horoscope at the start of the day, now I consult my HRV. The trend is useful - below shows my readiness (bar graph), HRV and resting heart rate for the last 10 days. Did a slow, easy 4 miles this morning, looked like the right thing to do.

BTW, I use a free app, Elite HRV to do the tracking. The app costs nothing, but you do need a heart rate monitor device that is accurate enough to get legitimate R-R intervals.

Some one post it on FB

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Allan Olesen

I use a paid phone app called HRV4Training. To do the measurement, I put my finger on the phone camera. It will synchronize the results with my Trainingpeaks account.

So far I have mostly been watching the trends and not used it actively for training decisions.

I do a measurement every morning before I get out of bed. The app also records my heart rate, so I get a log of both HRV and resting heart rate. In my case, those two are quite strongly correlated, and I have a feeling that I could get the same training info from just logging my resting heart rate every morning.

Anyway, since I don't own a watch with a built in HRM, the easiest way of recording my resting heart rate in the morning would be another phone app using the camera. So I can as well continue using the one I already paid for.

SD_BlackHills

Can you guys explain how to apply HRV to training in layman's terms?  I've never heard of this.  A quick google search just managed to confuse me.

Allan Olesen

I can explain the general idea - because that is the only thing I have understood myself.

When you are free from stress, overtraining etc., your resting heart rate is actually quite unstable. If you measure the time between each heartbeat, it will jump up and down within the same minute. This is high HRV.

If you get stressed or overtrained, the resting heart rate gets more stable. This is low HRV.

Some people think that the body responds better to hard training on days with high HRV. So they will look at their HRV in the morning, and if it is very low, they will take an easy day, and if it is very high, they will take a hard day.

I only measure it out of curiosity. So I am not really the best person to ask.

SD_BlackHills

I can explain the general idea - because that is the only thing I have understood myself.

When you are free from stress, overtraining etc., your resting heart rate is actually quite unstable. If you measure the time between each heartbeat, it will jump up and down within the same minute. This is high HRV.

If you get stressed or overtrained, the resting heart rate gets more stable. This is low HRV.

Some people think that the body responds better to hard training on days with high HRV. So they will look at their HRV in the morning, and if it is very low, they will take an easy day, and if it is very high, they will take a hard day.

I only measure it out of curiosity. So I am not really the best person to ask.

Interesting.  I've never heard of that.  Thanks for the explanation.