Low HR Training

Today is the day. (Read 641 times)

Me and my gang in Breck

I start low heart rate training. My max rate is around 184 and my resting rate is 62 tonight. 184-62=122 122x.70=85.4 85.4+62=147.4 Or if I do the math the other way 184+5=189 189x.70=132.3 Most all of my runs have always been real easy but probally not easy enough. I run lots of trails to give my body and also my mind a break from the pavement and the pace in the woods is nice and slow. My question is.What heart rate should I keep between? I was thinking 132 to 147 or maybe even 150 as the absolute max. Thanks Mark

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

run-easy-race-hard

How old are you? The first approach is based on Kharvonen's method and is quite aggressive, definitely not a "low heart rate training" approach. Not to say that it can't be used successfully by people who start in already excellent aerobic condition. For the second, I'm not exactly sure what you're calculating, i.e., what is the 184+5 for? Take a look at a few of the links in the following: http://spaces.msn.com/members/formationflier/ for the various approaches for low HR training.

Me and my gang in Breck

How old are you? The first approach is based on Kharvonen's method and is quite aggressive, definitely not a "low heart rate training" approach. Not to say that it can't be used successfully by people who start in already excellent aerobic condition. For the second, I'm not exactly sure what you're calculating, i.e., what is the 184+5 for? Take a look at a few of the links in the following: http://spaces.msn.com/members/formationflier/ for the various approaches for low HR training.
        I'm 45 The 184 is the my max heart rate on the fastest run that I could do yesterday. Some of the things that I've read say that to calc. max heart rate, take your max heart rate and add 5. If I run at 70% of that it makes my low heart rate number 132.3. Thats gonna be tough to stay under. I'm in average shape for a 45 year old runner. I really think that I could improve alot more. Thanks for the link, I'll keep reading. Modified to add. OK, after more reading, especially Maffetone, It looks like 180- (my age 45) = 135. This is probally the # that I should be using. I could add 5 for being in OK shape but I won't.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

Wasatch Speedgoat

180-45+5=140. Your range is 130-140 for starters....stick with that for several months or so and then (if you want to) you can add a tempo run or the Maffetone fast downhill speedwork. I prefer the "add miles" method. Run as many miles as you can every day and you will become a stronger, faster runner. The idea in your training is to slowly ramp up to 130 in the first 15 minutes, then slowly ramp up to 140 in the middle of your run, then start bringing it down again. Your HR charted should look like a bell curve, although it is very difficult to get it back down to your low number once your tired or it's hot out, etc. I start and end all of my runs with a 5 minute brisk walk. Good luck! Don't allow yourself to get frustrated with the pace....go with it, even if it means you have to walk! Steve

Life is short, play hard!

Me and my gang in Breck

Thanks for the help! I'll keep you posted on my results.

run-easy-race-hard

You've got the right idea and I'd recommend you keep at the 135 or below for a while. You would add 5 if you are in exceptional aerobic shape. Most people are not in exceptional aerobic shape when starting such a regimen. Good luck!

Me and my gang in Breck

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/4343732 Today was tough. Easy on the body but tough to keep under 135. The URL above is from today. Thanks everyone for all your help.

Prophet!

welcome to my pace Mark Smile It'll be interesting to see low HR training works for you. I had mine interrupted by stupid dissertation but i was seeing decent improvement after about 5 - 6 weeks..
                  t_runner

That was my "easy" pace before I started paying attention to heart rate. Now, trying to keep HR under 146, I am around 13 min/mile. I agree, it is really hard especially in the beginning to reel yourself in, but the feeling and improvement already have been worth it for me (I started out 14+ min/mile). I feel so much better, and can run many more days a week than I used to. October was my highest mileage month ever, in my 4 years of running, including 6 marathons. Once I've had a bit more training experience with this, I'll post my training + results. Right now, I am not sure if the decrease in my pace is due to the training miles I've done, or just the fact that the weather has been 50's and not humid recently, and it was warmer/more humid when I first started trying this.

Me and my gang in Breck

welcome to my pace Mark Smile It'll be interesting to see low HR training works for you. I had mine interrupted by stupid dissertation but i was seeing decent improvement after about 5 - 6 weeks..
                      Steve, it's really tough to do and the GD Garmin beepin all the time sucks. I'm gonna have to walk up some of the hills, but I'll tell ya I feel good tonight. I bet I could hit 80 mpw at this pace. When I was pushing hard before my marathorn I could barely tolerate 60 mpw and I was exhausted. I notice in your log that you've been increasing the mileage. Big grin Are you getting ready for a marathorn? I think I remember reading your running in December or January.

Me and my gang in Breck

That was my "easy" pace before I started paying attention to heart rate. Now, trying to keep HR under 146, I am around 13 min/mile. I agree, it is really hard especially in the beginning to reel yourself in, but the feeling and improvement already have been worth it for me (I started out 14+ min/mile). I feel so much better, and can run many more days a week than I used to. October was my highest mileage month ever, in my 4 years of running, including 6 marathons. Once I've had a bit more training experience with this, I'll post my training + results. Right now, I am not sure if the decrease in my pace is due to the training miles I've done, or just the fact that the weather has been 50's and not humid recently, and it was warmer/more humid when I first started trying this.
                        Thanks for the input Teresa. Wow, I never thought about trying this in the heat. It was 55 and cloudy today when I ran and I was actually a little cold. If it was in the 80's I would have to go alot slower.

Prophet!

yeah, getting ready for rematch with Honolulu marathon on December 9th. Aiming for around 4:00 ish but training been pretty spotty so probably more like 4:10 - 4:15 ish. We'll see. If didn't like surfing so much i probably run a little bit more mileage Smile

Me and my gang in Breck

yeah, getting ready for rematch with Honolulu marathon on December 9th. Aiming for around 4:00 ish but training been pretty spotty so probably more like 4:10 - 4:15 ish. We'll see. If didn't like surfing so much i probably run a little bit more mileage Smile
                            Oh Steve, your killing me. I wish I had that problem. Surfing over running is and easy choice. I had to walk up a hill yesterday to keep under 135. This is really tough but I feel like a million bucks. I hope this works and I knock 15 minutes off my marathorn pr and 10 more pounds off my A&$ next spring. Good luck with Honolulu!!!!

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/4343732 Today was tough. Easy on the body but tough to keep under 135. The URL above is from today. Thanks everyone for all your help.
                              I know what you mean I went for a LHR run and found myself running around a 14 minute mile - and that's on a completely flat bikepath! It's nothing more than a shuffle!Then this past weekend I reevaluated my MHR - and added 10, based upon an actual maximum I got on a very tough trail run. Hopefully that will help, but jeese, am I slow or what!
                              Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                              Stal2003

When it comes to low heart rate training, the target heart rate range can vary depending on individual factors and goals. However, a common approach is to aim for house of hazards a heart rate between 60-70% of your maximum heart rate during low-intensity training.