Low HR Training

Maffetones Intermediate base plan (Read 625 times)

Shondek

HNY guysSmile hope you are well and raring to go this year .I know I am .

Having slightly over done the xmas thing and under done the running i was pleasantly surprised to see i hadn't regressed that much with a 3 week lay off..I have left everything behind me and decide to follow Maffetones schedule of 1.5 hr one day 1 hr the next with saturday off and 2-2.5hrs on a sunday and once or twice a week running twice a day amTonguem) at lower end of zone.

I'm doing this for a year or until improvement stops,whichever comes first.

Although this is taking from one of his old books which Jimmy has referred to and Dr P says is dated It is a schedule I have used in the past(Lydiard) before I became a mileage fanatic since buying the Garmin.

Running twice a day will be new however  and I'm looking forward to that challenge.Although the longer 1.5hr runs have to be at the upper end of the range and the twice a day hour runs at the bottom of the range.This will also be different as longer runs for me tend to be slightly slower than shorter runs ..I am confident this regime will give me great results

My maf at present is 11:40 I'll get back to you in a month

SUNDAY...................2-2.5HRS   

MONDAY........................1HR AM   1HR PM

TUESDAY......................1.5HR

WEDNESDAY................1HR AM    1HR PM

THURSDAY....................1.5HR

FRIDAY.............................1HR

SATURDAY.......................OFF 

That's it nothing more nothing less!!..A Classic!!?

BeeRunB

High Performance Heart page 70 if I remember correctly? Cool

Good luck, Shondek. Keep us posted on your experiment.

--Jimmy

Shondek

Thanks Jimmy what a memory!!

I am happy to report that my maf has gone from 11-40 jan 16th to 11-06 thing were going a bit all over the place a few weeks ago.

I went out with a friend at my old pace with no warm up nor warm down and the the next couple of days my ankles were on fire had to take a few days off..running at a maf+ heart rate in minimal shoes is for me not an ideal combination.

The following Sunday we had a rehearsal for my friend Angus' running installation around Arthurs seat in Edinburgh.I didnt take my heart rate monitor so couldnt monitor my 3.5hr+ walking jogging running standing around the grassy hill terrain.

The next day my legs felt really light and fresh ..Sundays session seemed to have had a great training/recovery effect.

I then went on to run a maf pb on 2 occasions;the latest this morning with a blistering 10:55 compared to 11:40 2 weeks ago..very very very pleased.

I remember Lydiard saying what will cure any evil(anaerobic running/acid) is one very long and very easy aerobic run(alkaline) .

I am convinced this is what I experienced with Arthurs Seat('scuse me?)

Onward and upwards

Shondek

Speed of light is on at this years Edinburgh festival if  you are interested in taking part ..ps thats me 

http://speedoflight2012.org.uk/#!/page/12/Runners

BeeRunB

Thanks Jimmy what a memory!!

I am happy to report that my maf has gone from 11-40 jan 16th to 11-06 thing were going a bit all over the place a few weeks ago.

I went out with a friend at my old pace with no warm up nor warm down and the the next couple of days my ankles were on fire had to take a few days off..running at a maf+ heart rate in minimal shoes is for me not an ideal combination.

The following Sunday we had a rehearsal for my friend Angus' running installation around Arthurs seat in Edinburgh.I didnt take my heart rate monitor so couldnt monitor my 3.5hr+ walking jogging running standing around the grassy hill terrain.

The next day my legs felt really light and fresh ..Sundays session seemed to have had a great training/recovery effect.

I then went on to run a maf pb on 2 occasions;the latest this morning with a blistering 10:55 compared to 11:40 2 weeks ago..very very very pleased.

I remember Lydiard saying what will cure any evil(anaerobic running/acid) is one very long and very easy aerobic run(alkaline) .

I am convinced this is what I experienced with Arthurs Seat('scuse me?)

Onward and upwards

Nice progress, Shondek.  Thanks for the Lydiard reference. I've actually returned to walking for a little while with this sort of thing in mind. Sort of a rest combined with almost 100% fat-burning workouts. Rebuild.

Onwards an upwards, live long and prosper,

Jimmy Cool