Low HR Training

MAF Test Question (Read 472 times)

I didn't test myself when I started LHR Training, but I went for a 3 mile MAF test Saturday and Sunday. The reason I did two days in a row is as follows: Saturday Mile 1 9:36 Mile 2 10:03 Mile 3 10:06 I was curious about my (almost) 30 second drop off from the first to second mile, so I went out again on Sunday and my times Mile 1 9:35 Mile 2 10:05 Mile 3 10:45????? So, as can be seen, I was consistent between Sat & Sunday on the first two miles, but not third. Any ideas on why the major drop off between mile 1 & 2 on both days and then mile 3 on Sunday? It was a bit warmer on Sun & I noticed on both days that I head more trouble keeping my heart rate near my MAF once I entered the second mile (either wanting to go above or drop real low)? As an aside: it is annoying when watch beeps, indicating you are over your MAF. I feel like I want to get locked in at 149 or 150, but my max is 148, and then I peel back and I drop to 143 or 142. That fluctuation makes it difficult. Thanks for any input or ideas.
      Did you warm up prior to the test? I ran for 15 minutes (Maffetone recommendation) prior to my one and only test. By the end of the warm up, I was at my MAF. April 20th: Warm-up 15 minutes of running after a 1/2 mile brisk walk (from home to track) Avg pace: 9:51 Avg HR: 131 9:46 131 5:14 141 (.52 mile) 5 Mile test Outdoor track Target HR: 142 (180-age) Avg HR: 143 Max HR: 147 Avg Pace: 10:05 9:36 142 9:50 143 10:03 143 10:18 143 10:21 143 Cooldown: 2 mile walk home.
        Ahhh! I did two laps around the track (half-mile), so my warm-up was probably about half of what it should've been (maybe 6 minutes?), so I will give it another shot with more of a warm-up and see what I learn. Thanks for the input.
        BeeRunB

Warm-up at least 15 minutes. There will still be a drop -off from mile 1 to 3. Just try to do the test the same way every time. Keep going! --Jimmy

run-easy-race-hard

What were the temperature and dewpoint each day? Without them, you're comparing apples and oranges (unless the temp was below 50 the entire time on both days).
              My question just shows I have a lot to learn. I will pay attention to dew point the next time I train and the next time I do a MAF test. I just thought it the drop off was pretty major when I was expecting 10 or so seconds and not 30+. Thanks for your input.

run-easy-race-hard

My question just shows I have a lot to learn. I will pay attention to dew point the next time I train and the next time I do a MAF test. I just thought it the drop off was pretty major when I was expecting 10 or so seconds and not 30+. Thanks for your input.
                For example, if the dewpoint was 55 in your first run and, say, 65 in your second, even if the temp was about the same, that could have easily added 30 sec - 1 min/mile particularly after 2 or 3 miles.
                  I am going to have to spend a few minutes with the wunderground.com site and understand the temp/dew point chart a bit better, but this is an interesting variable in the formula. This is very helpful, because we've had a cool spring, and I was running fairly consistently between 9:40-10:05 on my runs over varied distances, even 7 mile runs. Now, with a little more summer-like weather, I have noticed a steady increase in my times. It is a little frustrating, but will try to convince myself to stay the course and that it will pay off in the long-run. Yesterday, over a three mile run, which included a good hill, my average time was 10:33/mile, which is higher than all my previous runs. I would hear my watch beep, telling me I went over 148, and I felt like I was going so slow and it was frustrating. This input gives me some assurance me that it is/or could be normal and not to panic. Thanks.
                  lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

I am going to have to spend a few minutes with the wunderground.com site and understand the temp/dew point chart a bit better, but this is an interesting variable in the formula. This is very helpful, because we've had a cool spring, and I was running fairly consistently between 9:40-10:05 on my runs over varied distances, even 7 mile runs. Now, with a little more summer-like weather, I have noticed a steady increase in my times. It is a little frustrating, but will try to convince myself to stay the course and that it will pay off in the long-run. Yesterday, over a three mile run, which included a good hill, my average time was 10:33/mile, which is higher than all my previous runs. I would hear my watch beep, telling me I went over 148, and I felt like I was going so slow and it was frustrating. This input gives me some assurance me that it is/or could be normal and not to panic. Thanks.
                    darrellka, Yeah, i've got wunderground.com bookmarked on my "smartphone" and find it very useful. Just the other day it came in handy when a storm hit as I was barely starting my warm-up. A quick check of the satellite view showed me that it was a tiny cell, and I was able to wait it out instead of bagging the run. Also up to the minute dew points, etc. is nice. It's my understanding that even though maf pace does suffer with rising temps/dew pts., you still benefit overall, and it's wise to resist the temptation to kick up the pace a bit. Also, it seems that you can expect some acclimation to these conditions, though never to a full extent. I think that many runners prefer to use treadmills when it gets nasty out. This approach also helps with maf tests, as you have a more consistent environment when making comparisons. Most runners experience a very nice pace dividend when conditions moderate, which is always welcomed! Lg1
                    ♪ ♫ Hey, hey, we're Maf Monkees And people say we monkey around. ♪ ♫ (The Monkees)
                    Give me 12:59 in '09, please. I deserve it! (Maf of course)..No more teens! No more teens! (ME! ME! ME!)
                    ♪ ♫ I Thank The Lord For The Night Time...And I Thank The Lord For You ♪ ♫ (Neil Diamond)
                      I did another MAF test this morning, approximately one month after my first, and I had major improvements. I post these numbers with some qualifiers - Dew Point around 66, my average hr was 148 (right at MAF), and I would need to look back to see what the Dew Point was for my first test, but here are my times: Mile 1 - 8:54 Ave HR - 147 Mile 2 - 9:04 Ave HR - 148 Mile 3 - 9:25 Ave HR - 148 Total 27:24 This is very exciting, b/c there have been some days recently where I question the wisdom of the method and whether or not it was working. I believe it is. Thanks.