Low HR Training

Improving all the time (Read 257 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

Here is my graph so far. Coming to the end of my 3rd week My question is when do I stop the aerobic phase? Will I get much quicker in this phase?

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

run-easy-race-hard

Here's what I have in the FAQ on this topic (hopefully, you've skimmed the FAQ): 35. When do I know that it's time to start into my race-specific training program with "quality workouts"? You'll know when you don't have to ask. Either you have built the capability to run well at low heart rates and you are no longer making progress or you have run out of time and you need to jump into, for example, your 18 week marathon program. It is quite possible that in your first time doing this, you will plan to jump into a "quality phase" after 3 months or so at some specified time before your race, but you'll see such good progress using low HR training alone that you'll just want to keep it up until race day. If you keep it up season after season, year after year, eventually you won't likely improve further without some form of speed work. However, many runners can be competitive (to the extent of qualifying for the Boston Marathon, the Western States Endurance Run, the Hawaii Ironman, etc.) just doing low heart rate training, running the periodic races, and very minimal speedwork. There's little doubt that eventually to compete with the elites in marathon and shorter, low heart rate alone will not be sufficient. 53. When do I add speedwork? Ah, yes, one of the most common questions. Too bad there's not a simple answer. After much pondering over this, I would say the optimal time to add speed work is the point at which you have to really push to keep your heart rate up at the MAF level. That's a sign that either your aerobic system has surpassed your speed and strength or that you may be getting complacent. There are some other inklings in the FAQ that give some clues.