Low HR Training

Still Keeping the Faith - Week 2 Results (Read 257 times)

I am posting this data but in a way the numbers are kind of meaningless. The reason I say that is that one thing that I have noticed, and I am sure you all have already found, is that the longer the distance that I run, the slower the average per mile pace for that outing. So, I expect that after I compile a few weeks of data, it might make more sense to compare say the third mile of each outing or something along those lines. I had not been entering all of the per mile data in my log in the past. But, before this started getting out of hand, I went back to my log and edited all of my MAF runs to include per mile data in the Intervals section so that I could start making sense of this. So, if anyone cares to take a peak, they are in my logs. Also, I have to wonder, though, whether I am working at the proper heart rate. I have tried to walk as briskly as possible to see if I can bring my HR up to the 116-127 range and so far I have not even begun to come close. In an earlier post I stated that by walking, I could only reach 94. However, once this week, I tried again and managed to reach 100 but there was no way I could go any faster by walking and I felt like I was extending my stride to the point of putting undue stress on the old achilles. Anyway, that being said, I have finished Week 2 with five outings. And, actually, wtih unexpected Kid duty and Work responsibilities this week, I feel fortunate to have gotten five. So, without further ado, here is the data for this week - emabarrassing as it may be. Smile Run Date Dist Avg Pace -------- ---- -------- 02/24/08 9.96 17:01 02/28/08 4.00 14:58 02/29/08 5.03 15:40 03/01/08 5.97 15:45 03/02/08 6.00 16:13 Regards to all.

I intend to live forever . . . or die trying.

BeeRunB

Don't ever feel embarrassed about your data. Know that there is one person out there who loves your data with all his heart and soul (me). So, keep posting! If you can't walk your self up to MAF-ville, then that shows you aren't so bad off. You can use walking to keep your HR down. You can use it to do aerobic intervals: warm-up with 15 minutes of running, then run a pace that gets your HR to MAF, stay there for a few minutes, then walk or run a pace that brings your HR drops to MAF -15 or -10, do so for a minute or two, then run again bringing the HR up to MAF again. Do 4-8 times. This helps to break up the monotony, and also stimulates turnover. I looked at your running log. I have two comments: 1) All your runs lately are getting to be an hour or more. I suggest that for now you keep your recovery runs closer to 45-55 minutes. You'll be more rested for your hard days, and this will help to avoid overtraining. Time on feet must be considered at all times. 2) Your fastest mile seems to always be your first. Like an MAF test. Try running a pace that gets you to MAF-15 at the end of 15 minutes. Then hold that feeling of pace steady. For example: 11:32 100 10:27 117 10:36 122 10:41 125 10:33 127 10:26 129 10:41 129 I did the above run in ave pace 10:35 after 1st mile. I kept the same feel of tempo throughout after 15 minutes ( I was probably up to 115 bpm). Faster miles were downhill or downwind, slower miles uphill or upwind. Same feel. This does a few things. Teaches keeping an even pace. Gives you room for not slowing so much. You don't "spend too much" during what should be your warm-up mile. Just like a marathon, or any race, if you make the first mile your fastest, you pay for it in the end. There's nothing wrong with doing all your runs like MAF tests, but make sure you give yourself at least 15 minutes of warm-up before you start pushing the limit like that. It will always be an exercise in slowing down as well. Keep going! --Jimmy
        Don't ever feel embarrassed about your data. Know that there is one person out there who loves your data with all his heart and soul (me). So, keep posting! If you can't walk your self up to MAF-ville, then that shows you aren't so bad off. You can use walking to keep your HR down. You can use it to do aerobic intervals: warm-up with 15 minutes of running, then run a pace that gets your HR to MAF, stay there for a few minutes, then walk or run a pace that brings your HR drops to MAF -15 or -10, do so for a minute or two, then run again bringing the HR up to MAF again. Do 4-8 times. This helps to break up the monotony, and also stimulates turnover. I looked at your running log. I have two comments: 1) All your runs lately are getting to be an hour or more. I suggest that for now you keep your recovery runs closer to 45-55 minutes. You'll be more rested for your hard days, and this will help to avoid overtraining. Time on feet must be considered at all times. 2) Your fastest mile seems to always be your first. Like an MAF test. Try running a pace that gets you to MAF-15 at the end of 15 minutes. Then hold that feeling of pace steady. For example: 11:32 100 10:27 117 10:36 122 10:41 125 10:33 127 10:26 129 10:41 129 I did the above run in ave pace 10:35 after 1st mile. I kept the same feel of tempo throughout after 15 minutes ( I was probably up to 115 bpm). Faster miles were downhill or downwind, slower miles uphill or upwind. Same feel. This does a few things. Teaches keeping an even pace. Gives you room for not slowing so much. You don't "spend too much" during what should be your warm-up mile. Just like a marathon, or any race, if you make the first mile your fastest, you pay for it in the end. There's nothing wrong with doing all your runs like MAF tests, but make sure you give yourself at least 15 minutes of warm-up before you start pushing the limit like that. It will always be an exercise in slowing down as well. Keep going! --Jimmy
        Hey Jimmy No worries, my friend. If I was truly embarrassed, I wouldn't post the data. And you have also touched upon a couple of very good points. First of all, I've been trying to get my weekly mileage to hover around 25 or so. On the other hand, since starting this program, maybe that is not realistic because at MAF, even a short run of four miles is an hour. So, with all the other daily responsibilities, time is becoming an issue. But, my goal has been to attempt a local marathon in November and I want to be prepared to jump into that sixteen week program starting in July. Am I insane or is this realistic for someone like me? Also, I like your idea of the aerobic intervals. In fact, one thing I noticed today was that if the HR started to creep up above MAF, I would actually end up with a better pace if I would slow down and walk to let it come back down to 116 and then start running . . . er jogging . . . er trotting until it got back to 127. I have to admit though, that after a run of this type, I really feel pretty rejuvenated. Funny, but today at the park, an older walker who, by the way, claimed to have a heart condition and walks one hour a day at a three mph pace upon doctor's orders, flagged me down and asked me if I always run so slowly. But, I briefly explained what I was doing and he found the whole concept to be pretty interesting. Best Regards

I intend to live forever . . . or die trying.