Low HR Training

Any tips for MAF testing on a treadmill? (Read 256 times)

PetePurple

Hi, newbie here. MAF of 129. I plan to use a treadmill on incline 2 for my test and am just going to start with a 2 mile test. So I have some logistical questions.

1) I might miss missing something pretty basic here. I just want to be as accurate as possible b/c I think that seeing progress will be motivating.   How do you record your times while maintaining your hr? Use pencil and paper and write the start, mile1, and mile 2 times as fast as possible, and calculate them when I'm done? My hrm does not do split times. Any tips are appreciated!

2) During a run my hrm will fluctuate between 120 and 130 bpm, but averages out at 124-126. Will these avg heart rates be accurate enough to conduct an MAF?

3) Do most folks put a slight incline on their TM as I'm planning?

Thanks in advance!

Most folks seem to use a 1% incline, but I don't think that is really important.  The important thing is that if you are going to use this as your MAF test that you should try to keep things as consistent as possible.  If you start out using 2% then you need to keep it at that, not drop down to 1% a month down the road.

I'm not sure how folks keep up with their split pace on the treadmill.  I don't, but my MAF test is a 6 mile route outside and my GPS keeps the splits for me.  When I run on the treadmill I just look at avg HR and avg pace for the entire run, I've never looked at the splits, I typically keep the pace constant for the entire run (I'll set it on 6.2 mph right now and just leave it there for 60 minutes), but I've never kept up with if my avg HR was 129 on mile 1 and 132 on mile 6, I just look at the avg for the entire run.

That HR range sounds good to me.  My MAF is 136 and last night on my treadmill run my HR fluctuated between 126 and 138 and averaged 130.  I'm going to have to bump up my speed on the treadmill to get my avg HR closer to 136.  The crazy thing is my HR runs higher the first couple miles then settles in for mile 3 to 5 and then bumps back up a little on mile 6.  I'm still figuring out the treadmill thing myself.

Good luck.  The important thing is just getting in lots of easy miles. 

Current PR's:  Mara 3:48:09; HM 1:43:26; 10K 44:51; 5K 21:27

Another newbie here, but I'll chime in anyway : )

To capture mile splits on the treadmill for runs not a MAF test, I hit the lap button on my garmin watch when the treadmill says I've gone a mile.  Then I edit the intervals on my RA log to show "1 mile" rather than the .3 or whatever the watch comes up with. 

Patty

2014 - hmm, what next?

I just noticed that I do have that option (pressing the lap button) on my phone with the app that I use running on the treadmill. 

I might try that next time and see if I can figure out how to make it show up correctly in my log with the mile splits.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:48:09; HM 1:43:26; 10K 44:51; 5K 21:27

PetePurple

Thanks for giving me a great idea. I just downloaded a few stopwatch app with a lap timer. Just what I needed. Pete

Welcome to the LOWHR forum. Cool

I've done nearly all my MAF tests since 2005 on a TM set at 1% incline. I try to keep at MAF as best as possible. With an MAF of 129, I would set a small zone of 127-130 and try to remain in it. If the HR hangs too long on 130 or above, I drop my speed. If it hangs too long on 127 or below, I increase speed.

The important thing is to stay as close to MAF as possible.

Record temperature and humidity in the room at the end of your run. You can get a cheap little gadget that shows temp and humidity.

Make sure to warm-up at least 15 minutes or a couple of miles before beginning the test.

If you have been progressing in your speed at MAF, don't freak out at a bad test. Just retest the following week. You're looking for trends over months.

Good luck!

--JimmyCool

zonykel

One thing to consider is temperature. Without any wind to evaporate the swEat, you could be significantly warmer at the end of the run. That'll cause your HR to go up more than if you were outdoors.