Low HR Training

Noob who chases deer has questions. (Read 18 times)

xazar

I am having a great time with this LHR stuff!

My body is responding quickly to both of the major changes I have made. I now keep my heart rate at a trickle of what I used to and I have a new reverence for REST and RECOVERY.

My questions are:

1- Can I do ANYTHING as long as I stay under the MAF ceiling? More specifically, I have a batch of calisthenic, isometric, and plyometric exercises that I have been doing for months. I can do most of them and stay under the MAF ceiling. That is perfectly fine according to Maffetone, correct?

2- What comes next? If I continue the LHR training until my improvements plateau, what can I do next to reach my goal of a 5K race under 19:00 minutes? Do I just lock into the pace and PUSH PUSH PUSH or what?

I have never had any physical training so I am clueless.

Thanks

BeeRunB

In terms of keeping to MAF or below during the base period, yes you can do anything as long as you stay in that range. Everything you do contributes to the total training load. Stresses from heat and life in general also contribute. The most important thing in the program is monitoring your aerobic speed (MAF) and listening to how your body feels. If you're improving, then all is good. If you're not, then something has to change. If you're exhausted and have a bunch of nagging injuries and sore spots and continue to push, and don't take rest, then that's not MAF training at all. Health is the number one priority. Be careful of exercise obsession. Increases the probability of running yourself into overtraining or physical problems.

As for a 19:00 5k, you'll have to improve to about a 7:30 pace or better at MAF.

What's your current PR?

xazar

"As for a 19:00 5k, you'll have to improve to about a 7:30 pace or better at MAF."

That is a SUPER helpful tidbit!

I have no PR cuz I've never run any races, just running around in the woods for 30 years, never clocked distance or anything.

Thanks

BeeRunB

"As for a 19:00 5k, you'll have to improve to about a 7:30 pace or better at MAF."

That is a SUPER helpful tidbit!

I have no PR cuz I've never run any races, just running around in the woods for 30 years, never clocked distance or anything.

Thanks

Welcome to the asphalt jungle, Danny the Deer Chaser.

Check out this sticky