Low HR Training

Should I run my 1/2 marathon trail run at the end of March? (Read 211 times)

Shiksa

Aerobigal! (thx Jimmy!)

I ran my first 1/2 in November. After that, I felt sort of burned out on the whole thing. Add that to the dwindling daylight hours and four kids, and my running time seemed to vanish. I've been thinking about HR training and then did some more research on low HR training which led me here. I'm on day 4. Am I done yet? Big grin I have had plans to run a 1/2 marathon trail run on March 29 (I think!). Then, I'll run another 1/2 road race in November. I have just started this low HR training though. Will I be ready to do this 1/2? Should I just bag it and move on? I can just commit to running it at MAF-hr, but I guess I'm wondering if I'll likely be at a point where I do something different with my training. I've only been running for about 2 years. I took off about 9 months to have my baby and recover from that. I was not at all sedentary during that time. I've been running nonstop (and likely killing myself Tongue) since March 2007. My RA log does not include all that time if anyone wants to take a look. What should I expect?
    Stacy
    I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://stacyruns.wordpress.com/
    db7

Why not run the 1/2 as a training run? If the money goes to a good cause or you just like running with others, go for it. You are running enough right now to just train until then and decide. You will feel better after two months of LHR running. JMO DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

Shiksa

Aerobigal! (thx Jimmy!)

Why not run the 1/2 as a training run? If the money goes to a good cause or you just like running with others, go for it. You are running enough right now to just train until then and decide. You will feel better after two months of LHR running. JMO DB
        That probably should have been my question: Should I run it as a training run or is it possible I'll be ready to do something else? I'm just doing it because it is a trail run and I love trails. I have a friend I am meeting up with. She's doing the marathon, and I'm doing the 1/2. A training run is certainly ok with me. Your suggestion makes sense. The race has two uphill stretches 2 mile long each. That is actually what got me started looking into low HR training.
        Stacy
        I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://stacyruns.wordpress.com/
        db7

Yeah. I have decided for myself not to worry about racing right now. I may enter a race or two this spring but will maintain LHR running for a few more months. My advice, take the pressure off. Don't worry about time and just run. You can make a lot of progress between now and then. My recovery time after long runs is the most significant thing that has changed for me. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

Shiksa

Aerobigal! (thx Jimmy!)

I'm not much of a racer. It's always such an ordeal with the baby that it's not even worth it most of the time. This one drew me in though because of the beautiful terrain and my friend too. It's about a 5 hour drive from here so we'll make it a family weekend. Thanks for the reminder to take the pressure off. I think I will be able to just relax and go especially with 3 months behind me. I'm not sure I would be able to if I was running the race this weekend. Slowing down is pretty humbling.
            Stacy