Low HR Training

Jenne's Progress (Was: New here! Very slow.) (Read 72 times)

Gwynhafra

Hi!  I'm so happy I found you all-- I wondered where all the cool folks from Cool Running went.

I'm 41, female, and have been running on and off since 1990.  I've finished a marathon and a half marathon at excruciatingly slow times (6:20 and 2:47.)  My 5K PR is about 28:30.

I'm new to Maffetone training, though I did do some low heart-rate training in the 90s to make sure I could pass the Air Force PT test, which was done on a bicycle ergometer for a short while.  I'm a beyond-mediocre runner with zero natural aptitude, but I love it so much.  I want to get faster and my on-and-off training over the past ten years just hasn't done the trick.  I also have as many as 35 pounds to lose (5'4", 155 pounds, very small bones.  At my max, I was 201.  I'm vegan and I eat too much sugar.

I took some time off running because of hip pain and started up again a couple of weeks ago (April 15, to be exact.)  My runs were very slow and my heart rate was still in the 170s.  I started trying to keep my heart rate under 147 (Karvonen formula led me to that), but as I researched, I came across all these success stories from Maffetone!  Today, I did my last 147 run and tomorrow is my first Maffetone run.  I only run on hills because that's all I have around me.  I'm still building up my mileage and working on getting strong enough to run every day.  Would riding my indoor bike on off-days help?

It will truly be a miracle if this method gives me the speed I long for.  I have hope that because all my previous training has been so inconsistent that I still have potential for improvement.

Oh, and I love data.

Jenne

Jenne

Every run is a hilly run!

Race Less Train More

Welcome

You will need to keep the bike ride  and the hills at maff. It will be a lot of walking for a while.

Run until the trail runs out.

2013***1500 miles

50 miler

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Gwynhafra

Thanks!  Yes, there is lots of walking right now, but only on hills.  Tomorrow I'm doing half an hour on the treadmill at MAF.  Not quite a MAFF test, but I'm not sure I can run steadily for five miles without walking yet.

Jenne

Welcome to the land of the fat eaters, Jenne!
          What Ron said.

To add: keep tabs on aerobic speed. Rest if you're tired. Reduce stress.

look forward to your contribution to the forumSmile

--Jimmy

log   prs      Crusted Salt comic #141

Gwynhafra

Thanks!  Today's treadmill run was 2.07 in 30 minutes at an average of about 139.  (The training log lies... my Garmin thought I was running faster than I really was.) The first mile was a little under 15 minutes, the second was a little over.  Next week, I'll hit "lap" on my watch when the treadmill says I've gone a mile.

I got my Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing and am eagerly gobbling it up.

Thanks for the welcome!

Jenne

Gwynhafra

I posted this in the Expose your slow twitchers thread, but I wanted to post it here, too.

Average pace this week: 15:13, last week, 15:40

Average heart rate:            139                      141

Mile 1                           14:17/133        14:36/137
              Mile 2                           13:53/140        14:43/142
              Mile 3                           14:39/140        15:34/142
              Mile 4                           15:16/143        15:19/143
              Mile 5                           15:02/139        15:15/139

It was 11 degrees warmer this weekend than last (77 vs. 66) and I had stayed up until 6am the night before/day of.

Jenne

Wandering Wally

Welcome!  Just keep taking it easy and be patient.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

labhiker

Welcome.  I agree, keep it simple and be patient.

labhiker

hey, welcome here Smile I'm sure you can improve if you train *consistently*. hope you can up the mileage steadily from now. (I see it's been pretty low so far) you will get faster that way. later you can add tempo runs. it's a killer training plan: tempo run + truly easy runs for the easy days. good luck!

Gwynhafra

Thanks!  I've just started a running streak in an effort to get the miles up a bit-- the MAF training makes it doable for me to run every day.  it's really hot, but I figure that will just make me stronger.

Jenne

Thanks!  I've just started a running streak in an effort to get the miles up a bit-- the MAF training makes it doable for me to run every day.  it's really hot, but I figure that will just make me stronger.

yeah, it will Smile after the weather gets colder again, you'll probably find you're much faster than before summer. double effect of training and heat acclimatization Smile

you might want to still keep a rest day here and there though. even with strict LHR/MAF training, everyday running may be too much for the body if it's not yet used to years of running regularly. gradual increase in mileage is much better.

good luck! Smile

Gwynhafra

I'm taking it day by day right now.  So far, it's going well, but if I get major complaints from any part of my body, I'll take a break.  The funny thing is, even though I'm running every day and have gotten up to a 27-mile week, I feel better than I have during times where I've only run four or five times a week.

Jenne

You're being smart, Jenne. Sounds like it's working out. Keep going! Cool

log   prs      Crusted Salt comic #141

Gwynhafra

Thanks!  I like running every day!  I'm seeing small improvements, so it keeps me going.

Jenne

Race Less Train More

I'm taking it day by day right now.  So far, it's going well, but if I get major complaints from any part of my body, I'll take a break.  The funny thing is, even though I'm running every day and have gotten up to a 27-mile week, I feel better than I have during times where I've only run four or five times a week.

WTG!

Run until the trail runs out.

2013***1500 miles

50 miler

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/