Low HR Training

"Expose Your Slow Twitchers" Daily Maffetone and/or Low-HR Training Reports (Read 23291 times)

Gwynhafra

I'm pretty excited.  My "long run" is up to 5 and a half miles right now.  Last week, it was 66 degrees, this week 75.  I did this week's run almost 2 minutes faster.  (Also, I stayed up until about 6am for Rocky Horror Picture Show.)

Average pace this week: 15:13, last week, 15:40

Average heart rate:            139                      141

Mile 1                           14:17/133        14:36/137

Mile 2                           13:53/140        14:43/142

Mile 3                           14:39/140        15:34/142

Mile 4                           15:16/143        15:19/143

Mile 5                           15:02/139        15:15/139

I'm pretty happy with that improvement! This is only one week's time! Miles 1-3 are on the exact same very hilly route, but there is a slight variation in mile 4.

Jenne

Every run is a hilly run!

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  My week has been full of hot and humid days so my paces have gone down a bit, but I have been able to run at Maff or slower for most of my runs and keeping up with my paces.  I did 10 this morning at 146HR and 11:23mm but it was 85F and humid so the pace was really faster when you consider that.  Last year at this time I was doing high 11s so I'm happy.

One more thing.  Yesterday, I did my 5th ALS 10K to benefit the Lou Gehrig's Disease foundation, ALS.  Last year I had two asthma attacks during the race.  It's hard for me to even break 1 hour on this race (done so once) because of the heat and humidity during May.  Yesterday, I broke 1 hour again and had no asthma issues, running at a standard 168-170HR the whole way.  If you ever wonder if MAFF works, it's not all about the pace. I have not used albuterol since 12/30 and it's partly because of MAFF.

Have a great day and Happy Mother's Day to those Maffers that are also mothers!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Awesome!  If you adjust this week for weather, the speed increase is even more!

I'm pretty excited.  My "long run" is up to 5 and a half miles right now.  Last week, it was 66 degrees, this week 75.  I did this week's run almost 2 minutes faster.  (Also, I stayed up until about 6am for Rocky Horror Picture Show.)

Average pace this week: 15:13, last week, 15:40

Average heart rate:            139                      141

Mile 1                           14:17/133        14:36/137

Mile 2                           13:53/140        14:43/142

Mile 3                           14:39/140        15:34/142

Mile 4                           15:16/143        15:19/143

Mile 5                           15:02/139        15:15/139

I'm pretty happy with that improvement! This is only one week's time! Miles 1-3 are on the exact same very hilly route, but there is a slight variation in mile 4.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Gwynhafra

One more thing.  Yesterday, I did my 5th ALS 10K to benefit the Lou Gehrig's Disease foundation, ALS.  Last year I had two asthma attacks during the race.  It's hard for me to even break 1 hour on this race (done so once) because of the heat and humidity during May.  Yesterday, I broke 1 hour again and had no asthma issues, running at a standard 168-170HR the whole way.  If you ever wonder if MAFF works, it's not all about the pace. I have not used albuterol since 12/30 and it's partly because of MAFF.

That's so cool!  I've been reading your blog about running with asthma.  I also have asthma.  Right now, I'm still taking the preventative albuterol before running, but it would be so cool to be able to run without it!  Congratulations on breaking 1 hour.  That's one of my hopes for this year.

Jenne

Docket_Rocket

Good luck!  As you can see from my signature, 1 hour is way slower than I was used to before asthma but baby steps!  I cut off albuterol in December but only because the allergy shots are working now.  I cannot wait to hear about your progress!

That's so cool!  I've been reading your blog about running with asthma.  I also have asthma.  Right now, I'm still taking the preventative albuterol before running, but it would be so cool to be able to run without it!  Congratulations on breaking 1 hour.  That's one of my hopes for this year.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Wandering Wally

HR monitor battery is definitely dead.  Going to have to do without it for a couple of days until I can swing by the local superstore and get a new one.  Race on Saturday went great.  Felt good the whole time.  I was worried that all this running at MAF would mean I would be much slower in a race situation.  I was not.  While keeping my effort level down and under control I was still maintaining an 11:00-11:15 pace which I was happy with.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Docket_Rocket

Great job!

HR monitor battery is definitely dead.  Going to have to do without it for a couple of days until I can swing by the local superstore and get a new one.  Race on Saturday went great.  Felt good the whole time.  I was worried that all this running at MAF would mean I would be much slower in a race situation.  I was not.  While keeping my effort level down and under control I was still maintaining an 11:00-11:15 pace which I was happy with.

Today I did 9.  Plan was to do 5 @ HMP but since I signed up for another 10K on Saturday, I decided to take it slow.  Except I didn't.  HR was erratic and I think it was the sweat (it was93F and 70 dewpoint) coupled with the top I used because I was signing and talking to myself during the run (don't judge) and the HR said I was running a 5K, LOL.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

labhiker

5:45am  3.1miles, 124bpm ave.

Slow and steady on the recovery road.  Patience phase.

labhiker

Wandering Wally

Damaris - If you were singing and talking to yourself at least you were having fun :-D  That was also a pretty good sign that you were still at an easy effort level for you.

6 miles this morning naked.  Gasp!  I have developed a sense for the effort level required to stay at or under MAF, and while not completely accurate it was good enough for today.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Docket_Rocket

I would call mine a steady state or GA pace yesterday.

Nice job, Mike.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

BeeRunB

6 miles this morning naked.  

Boing, boing, boing, jiggle, jiggle, jiggle....

TODAY:

recovery 3 miles run/walk

SLowly building up the amount of time running, still walking a lot.

Feeling good.

--JimmyCool

Gwynhafra

Today was 4 miles, slower than last Thursday.  Didn't get much sleep last night and forgot to use my inhaler.  I was curious to see how I would do without it.  Ave pace: 14:45, Ave HR 139 (MAF is 140).

Jenne

Docket_Rocket

Bahahaha.  I wish I could run naked....

Boing, boing, boing, jiggle, jiggle, jiggle....

TODAY:

recovery 3 miles run/walk

SLowly building up the amount of time running, still walking a lot.

Feeling good.

--JimmyCool

Damaris

Fundraising Page

BeeRunB

Bahahaha.  I wish I could run naked....

You can, Damaris. You can! Evil

npaden

6.11 miles, 10:00 avg pace, 138 avg HR.

Starting to get in some easy runs after a week off after the marathon.  Almost got my elusive 10:00 pace at MAF even though conditions were not ideal for it.  79 degrees and windy.

Age: 50 Weight: 224 Height: 6'3" (Goal weight 195)

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)