Low HR Training

Running with a hangover (Read 226 times)

Had quite a bit to drink last night and woke up with a medium hangover. Didn't have a headache or nausea but still felt like crap. Went for a run around noon and had a really hard time staying below my MAF. I had to resort to walking every minute or so to keep my HR down, whereas normally I can run a steady pace. Anyone else have a similar experience with alcohol?
      Yep. Even when really focusing on extra hydration to account for the alcohol, increased HR just comes with the territory. Ironically, I've noticed the same thing when I eat poorly for a few days in a row, too. (too much high saturated fats, etc)
      GMoney

Yes, Absolut-ly. Not wanting to mess up my next day's run is another great incentive for me to be sure I don't overindulge (too often) Wink In "Sports Nurition for Enducrance Athletes," Monique Ryan (who takes a pretty extreme anti-alcohol position) writes: "Excesive alcohol consumed shortly before training, or even the night before, can impair fine motor ability and co-ordination, increase risk of dehydration, and weaken fuel stores," (emphasis added) Dead. There's no specific citation for her claim, but it's all consistent with my experience and what I've read elsewhere. Overindulgence in alcohol hits me on a number of different levels when I run the next day. I exhibit all the symptoms Ryan describes, but I also generally don't get good sleep the night before, so I'm not rested and recovered for my next run. I'm also feeling so lousy that I don't focus as well on what I'm doing, so maintaining a consistent HR can be a challenge. Like you, it's far more effort for me to maintain any pace when I'm hung over. There's also reseach that shows that alcohol interferes with your body's ability to use oxygen, so it's natural that if you're not able to use oxygen as effectively for running your pace at MAF will slow. Sounds like you did the right thing by doing whatever it took to stay under MAF. There's no sense in adding stress to your body when it's already working overtime detoxing from alcohol. The good thing is that the increase in oxygen you get from exercising should help you clear your symptoms, as will the post workout shower. Start drinking water and electrolyte beverages to rehydrate, get some easy to digest lean protein, and take it easy.
          On my hangover day I ran 2mi and the best pace I could manage was a 14:41/mi. Today, I also ran 2mi, but I feel a whole lot better got a good night's sleep, and managed a 12:57 pace. Both days under MAF. Ya I think I've definitely learned my lesson as far as alcohol is concerned. Day before=bad.
            I did a 12 week stint of MAF training last year while drinking like 8oz of distilled liquor a night. I didn't see any progress. Alcohol increases blood pressure, making for poor sleep. I would notice my heart beating hard during runs and normally as well till the alcohol was out of my system. Alcohol is toxic to our bodies. It doesn't do much good for us physically. I'm sure it would impede aerobic development, though exactly how I'm not sure. Now, 4-6 oz of red wine per night, sometimes no nights, no more. Good for the heart.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.