Low HR Training

Quick question (Read 25 times)

gastéropode

I've been spying on you guys for quite a while and I've been experimenting with MAFFing for just over a week.

I will not complain about how slow I am.

However I am wondering: is it better to pick a slow pace and take walk breaks when reaching MAF HR or to pick an even slower pace that will allow completion of the workout without ever reaching MAF HR?

I just tried the latter for the first time today. At 15 mpm I was able to maintain an average HR of 142 and I never exceeded 148 bpm over the course of 45 minutes. My MAF is 180-31=149.

Although I had to run (even) slower, I found it less frustrating than babysitting my HR monitor and taking walk breaks every 5 minutes.

Thank you!

Docket_Rocket

I think the best way would be to lower MAF until you can cover the distance completely, like you did on your workout today.  You'll improve and pretty soon you'll be able to run closer to MAF and not have to take the walk breaks.

Welcome!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

BeeRunB

gast,

that's a fine way of structuring your runs. Some stay at MAF, and slow down throughout the run. Others use a zone (e.g. MAF -10 to MAF) and establish a pace at the low end of the zone and hold it until their heart rate drifts to MAF. You can make the zones any "width" you want. 5, 15, 20 beats, whatever. I do a mixture of both runs at MAF and runs with wide zones.

Important thing is to monitor MAF speed and make sure you're progressing.

Good luck!

--JimmyCool

AlexVan

Hello gastéropode, yes I believe the recommended practice would be to run the whole time at the slower pace and maintain <MAF as compared to hitting MAF or MAF + and start walking, option 2 would be like a run/walk interval, which is ok too but I believe less ideal, I know I prefer #1 for sure.  Some times you / we may have no choice and have to take option #2, but as Jimmi suggested if you can start at MAF-10 running very slow and during the "run" slowly easing your HR up to full MAF by the end, that is a good approach too.  Good luck. ~alex

gastéropode

Awesome, thank you very much guys!

I'll keep you posted on my progress Big grin

I've been spying on you guys for quite a while and I've been experimenting with MAFFing for just over a week.

I will not complain about how slow I am.

However I am wondering: is it better to pick a slow pace and take walk breaks when reaching MAF HR or to pick an even slower pace that will allow completion of the workout without ever reaching MAF HR?

I just tried the latter for the first time today. At 15 mpm I was able to maintain an average HR of 142 and I never exceeded 148 bpm over the course of 45 minutes. My MAF is 180-31=149.

Although I had to run (even) slower, I found it less frustrating than babysitting my HR monitor and taking walk breaks every 5 minutes.

Thank you!

too slow running is not good for running efficiency. so maybe walk breaks is better? though when I did this kind of training I did go for the slow even pace because I wanted to run and not walk lol

btw what's your maxHR? actual maxHR, not calculated. and do you have any race HR's and race times?