Low HR Training

withdrawn (Read 485 times)

withdrawn

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Get outside and run hilly routes if possible! That made a huge difference for me.
        Get outside and run hilly routes if possible! That made a huge difference for me.
        Thanks very much. I think that is a sorely missing element for me.

c'mon now

Hawt and sexy

So, what was the question? Was the answer 42? Did Jimmy bring watercolors? Have you seen my afghan?

I'm touching your pants.

Ha. My orginal question related to my general approach to training. I would like to run a marathon this Fall or Spring. I am trying a variation of the MAF wherein I keep my heart rate at 180-age +5 (154). Generally, for shorter runs (~5 mi). I get the HR up to 149 and then try to keep it between 149-154. For longer runs, I try to get it up to 140-145 and keep it there, and it naturally drags up to 155 about 3/4 into the run. At that point, I walk until it gets down to about 130 then run until it gets to 155 and repeat until long run is done. I generally only bring water with me and do not eat before runs. If it is an AM run, I drink a cup of coffee first. I was looking for critiques/advice.

lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

Ha. My orginal question related to my general approach to training. I would like to run a marathon this Fall or Spring. I am trying a variation of the MAF wherein I keep my heart rate at 180-age +5 (154). Generally, for shorter runs (~5 mi). I get the HR up to 149 and then try to keep it between 149-154. For longer runs, I try to get it up to 140-145 and keep it there, and it naturally drags up to 155 about 3/4 into the run. At that point, I walk until it gets down to about 130 then run until it gets to 155 and repeat until long run is done. I generally only bring water with me and do not eat before runs. If it is an AM run, I drink a cup of coffee first. I was looking for critiques/advice.
                I thought that OP no longer needed advice on the topic, and had thus "withdrawn" it. Sorta like Hillary..(withdrawn, no longer running)....hee hee hee, Because inquiring minds wanted to know i've taken the liberty of pulling it from the archives. Hope you don't object, NA.. if so I'll withdraw it...... <insert> Lg1 Newbie's Basic Approach to MAF (Read 34 times) NaderAlfie view log posted: 7/16/2008 at 10:08 AM modified: 7/16/2008 at 10:09 AM Quote I will admit that I have yet to delve deep into the scientific aspects of MAF, as I am, ultimately seeking a smiple way to enjoy running and perhaps, ultimately run ultras. So far, my approach has been to keep my HR during my runs at 180-age (149), plus 5 (154). On a long run (15 mi), that means allowing my HR to get up to about 140 and trying to keep it there. It eventually drags up to 154 by mile 12. At which point I walk until it hits 129. Then I run slowly until it hits 154 and repeat until I've hit mile 15. On shorter runs (5 mi), I get my HR to 150 and then try to keep it between 150-154 for the duration of the run. I am following this running plan, and am on week 18: http://www.runninginjuryfree.org/marathonplan.html Generally, I skip breakfast, drink a coffee on the way to the run and drink water on the run. Aftwards, I eat "normally". I'd appreciate any advice from experienced runners on how to improve my approach. </insert>
                ♪ ♫ Hey, hey, we're Maf Monkees And people say we monkey around. ♪ ♫ (The Monkees)
                Give me 12:59 in '09, please. I deserve it! (Maf of course)..No more teens! No more teens! (ME! ME! ME!)
                ♪ ♫ I Thank The Lord For The Night Time...And I Thank The Lord For You ♪ ♫ (Neil Diamond)
                  Sounds great. Do you plan to run/walk the marathon? If not, then you might consider making your goal to be running the whole time during the long run. Other than that you have a good plan. Keep going! --Jimmy
                    Thanks very much. I think that is a sorely missing element for me.
                    No problem. The hills provide variation. Over the winter, most of my runs were done on an indoor track or a treadmill. Once I started running outside more, I saw much more rapid improvement. Since there are hills everywhere around my house, I don't have much choice but to run hilly routes unless I drive elsewhere. A lot of the benefit comes from running downhill. This allows you to increase your leg turnover, which improves your running economy. In addition, it's not nearly as boring as treadmill running. Smile EDITED TO ADD I like the milage schedule from your withdrawn post. I may use that as a guide for increasing milage. Thanks. http://www.runninginjuryfree.org/marathonplan.html