Low HR Training

Race Heart Rate (Read 923 times)

Question: for you advanced MAFers, what percentage HR do you use for your races?

My MAF is 148-138.  I ran my first marathon last year and kept the HR b/t 163-178 the whole time (aside from a few spikes here and there).  Saturday, I ran a ran a half-marathon and just kept my speed at my desired pace (<7:38).  At the end of the race, my heart rate average was 177, I believe.

Is that too high?  I felt pretty good, although started to feel it around mile 12.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

thekman
      I think that is ok, as long as you dont hit "the wall" when running a marathon. Also, this year with another year of training under your belt, you should be able to hold mid 170's. For me:

Maff - 154

5k - 190+

10k - High 180's

1/2 Marathon - 185

Last year I ran a full marathon and averaged 185 and absolutely died. So this year I'm going to try to keep it in the high 170's to low 180's. 

I think race heart rate is a great way to see if you are really pushing yourself and to gage if you can speed up or slow down.  I also think that it is a better indicator than mile splits. Obviously if you are not running the splits that you want to early on, you speed up. But then you might be working to hard.

BeeRunB

Team Oregon Pace Wizard

I find the pace wizard to be in the ballpark in terms of HR. If you go there, pop in your MHR , RHR, a recent race time, etc. It'll give you HR's for each distance.I take them as average HR's.

It gives me 192 for 5k's--right on the nose. For an average, I'll run 187-195ish.

170 for marathons, again, very close to what I've averaged in a marathon.

Of course, you'll have too work things out, compare as you go. See what works. I tend to start races a bit slower and finish with my heart pounding out of my chest., because I've run all my races by pace in the past, not HR. I have only worn the HRM to get data. That could change.

Some will keep themselves even in terms of HR, no matter the pace.

--Jimmy

Jimmy,

That is a great link. 

Thanks.

Wasatch Speedgoat

I do not wear my monitor during races, preferring to go by how I feel. Now take into consideration that I've been racing for over 30 years and know what that should feel like. Hadd also doesn't suggest wearing a montior and having your HR determine how fast you race, but he also does point out that when fit for the distance you can run as close as 15-20 bpm to your max. I don't think I could do that and I'm pretty fit.

I train at around 135 and my race HR at the one 50K I ran this year was averaging 155, about 30 bpm below my max and that felt good, but fast. I also ran one of my best times in 12 runnings of this race at age 57, but I attribute that to doing nothing but low HR training for the two months prior. I'm sure that I was near max in the final 100 yards of the uphill 10 miler I ran this past Sunday.

Steve

Life is short, play hard!

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I can show you the trail.I can show you the trail.Jimmy,

That is a great link. 

Thanks.

Yes it is. I have a race in 2 weeks and it will be interesting to see how close I am to the target heart rate. I do not think I will be close.

<center> 5 km </center> <center> 0:22:50</center> <center> 7:20</center> <center>124</center>
              22:50 was my time last year..

/ Average: 163 / Max: 192
              Age group: 52 – 54

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

ridley

I train between 130 and 140. Max HR is 182. I ran a 50k in May (with almost zero interval training) and averaged 155 for 6 hrs (very slow technical course). I just ran a 10k in 42:10 and averaged 175. I did two weeks of speed work before that race but was coming off a long aerobic base stretch to prepare for a 26 hr adventure race.

When I bike race I never sustain numbers that high, in part because bike racing is less consistent a pace but also because running produces higher heart rates at race efforts.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I train between 130 and 140. Max HR is 182. I ran a 50k in May (with almost zero interval training) and averaged 155 for 6 hrs (very slow technical course). I just ran a 10k in 42:10 and averaged 175. I did two weeks of speed work before that race but was coming off a long aerobic base stretch to prepare for a 26 hr adventure race.

When I bike race I never sustain numbers that high, in part because bike racing is less consistent a pace but also because running produces higher heart rates at race efforts.

What age group? How long was your aerobic base building?

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

10k  AHR 169  MAX 190  The last .24 heart 185/190. Time of 51:44. Should I be running a set HR and let the time be whatever it ends up being?  Max Hr 178 using steven creek calculator

http://www.stevenscreek.com/goodies/hr.shtml

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

ridley

Age 41. Male.

Began base period in October of 2008. Had to do some anaerobic work (pilates and indoor kayak training) in Jan-Feb-March, but avoided AT runs/rides and intervals. Main goal was prep for a 24-26 hour adventure race. Finished that early June and am now doing some anaerobic rides but only aerobic runs. Curious to try a 10k in 4-5 weeks to see how anaerobic work has impacted my time.

Beginner all over again

Marco Pace Calculator by HR

I just wanted to post this link under this topic so I'd be able to find it later

Can I be Frank

Walk This Way...this way

10 min/mile 10k pace

Thanks Frances!

Easier said then done, for me.

Just tossed in some round #s,

My 10k pace is probably not there yet  

I like the format. It really gives you a clear road map!

ts