Low HR Training

Around the Bay (Read 497 times)

I know I should probably post this in the results thread but it is sort of the conclusion to my thread titled Lack of Confidence. The Around the Bay 30 km was today. It is the first race I have done over 10 km and depending on how you look at it I did great or really badly. Here is my story. Training was going good. Minor foot and achilles injuries convinced me to keep my mileage to 50 miles a week down from 60 for the 4 weeks before the race. No runs longer than 9 miles. As a result of running less my training pace started dropping and I was seeing under 4:40/ km for 13 km runs on a consistent basis. The pace felt easy. Then I got a cold that started 1-1/2 weeks ago. Nasty chest cold with lots of phlegm and coughing. Last monday my most stuffed up as well. 

The cold is not so bad, I can deal with a cold. But last sunday on a regular 13 km run, my calf started to hurt. Monday I did 9.5 km and it hurt worse. Tuesday I ran 1 km and hurt really bad. I stopped running a saw my chiropractor, who is also pretty good with some massage techniques. I had him baffled, there is no reason for my leg to hurt. I have had this problem in the past and the only way I have been able to get it to get better is to stop running. So I did. I did a little 15 minute run on Friday and it was tight but I thought I might be able to do the race.

So the race was today. I decided to ignore my cold and ignore my calf problem and run like I was fine. My goal time was anything under 2:10. I split through 10 km in just over 43 minutes and 20 km in just over 1:26. At 20 km the race runs through rolling hills for 6 km. My calf had been hurting a tiny bit more every step I took after 15 km and finally down one steep downhill it my calf muscle totally seized up with the most painful spasm I have ever had. I stopped, stretched and tried to run again. No way. I walked up the biggest hill on the course. It was embarrassing as it looked like I had run too hard and had run out of gas up the hill. I got to the top and walked another 50 meters and started to run slowly with tiny steps. It was painful but bearable. From there it was 4 km gently downhill. My calf got slightly better and I was able to finish in a time of 2:15:43.

I don't know whether to be happy I finished at all or to be horrible disappointed. As I sit here typing this I feel fine, I don't feel really like I raced hard today. My first 20 km were conservative and I felt good (other than my leg and my cold), I had lots left to run in the last 10k hard. On the other hand my left calf hurts so much right now I cannot walk on it, it really hurt.

Just to put this into a low heart rate perspective that is 2:15:43, strictly Maf heart rate pacing, no intervals, no speed work of any kind. I could have done better.

Thanks for all the confidence boosting comments in the other thread, the one that kept me walking up the hill is that no matter what I was going to set a personal best.

Kevin

Just to put this into a low heart rate perspective that is 2:15:43, strictly Maf heart rate pacing, no intervals, no speed work of any kind. I could have done better.

Thanks for all the confidence boosting comments in the other thread, the one that kept me walking up the hill is that no matter what I was going to set a personal best.

Kevin

Kevin:

Did you run the race strictly at MAF?  That is impressive.

Chris

BeeRunB

Nice race, Kevin. Especially when you factor in your state of health going in.

You can take away some positive lessons in mental strength and perseverance.

Recover well.Cool

--Jimmy

Kevin:

Did you run the race strictly at MAF?  That is impressive.

Sorry I guess I was not clear. My training has been just Maf paced running.

During the race I averaged 157, I was probably over 160 for the sections I could actually run. I think my max is around 173. My normal Maf is 133 but I usually run at less than that.

Nice race, Kevin. Especially when you factor in your state of health going in.

You can take away some positive lessons in mental strength and perseverance.

Recover well.Cool

--Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy, the thing that I am taking away from this is how exhilirating it is to run at a 4:15 km pace for me. Fast enough that it feels fast and fun but not leg busting fast like a 5 km type pace.

Sorry I guess I was not clear. My training has been just Maf paced running.

During the race I averaged 157, I was probably over 160 for the sections I could actually run. I think my max is around 173. My normal Maf is 133 but I usually run at less than that.

Makes sense.  I ran a half marathon on Sunday.  All my training for last 5 months was at MAF of 125.  I averaged 152 during the race and got up to 160 in the 12th mile.  That seemed high.

I was hoping my HR would stay a little lower.  My usual pace at MAF is about 10:45 per mile and my race pace was 9:45 per mile.

Chris

I went to see a phsiotherapist about my calf muscle. He says it is pulled and I need to take off 2-4 weeks. Arghh!