Low HR Training

LHR in the context of ultras (Read 49 times)

A LHR question for those of you who also run ultras:

So far I’ve done a couple 50k’s (long runs and races) and a 50 miler. And a 100k DNF for exposure (at 50 miles, doh!).

So when you do an ultra – how do you start your runs beyond the warm up? Mostly, do you try to keep it at below the MAF-10 range, maybe by 10 or 20 beats to account for drift later?

Or do you folks just run by feel?

I’ve run my ultras by feel before. I think the HRM will be useful in making sure I don’t go out to fast, but I was wondering how much to hold back WRT the MAF range.

Thanks!

Bandera 100k 2015 or bust!

npaden

I'm also curious on this.

Right now I'm just trying to go by feel but have no idea what the end of a 50 miler is going to feel like.

Ran a trail marathon this past weekend as a training run and tried to just run easy, but my HR drift was noticeable there toward the end of the run.

They say you really can't start too slow so maybe MAF -10 is a good starting place, but what kind of drift do you shoot for?

10 beats of drift every 10 miles?  I think it is going to be more of an exponential curve there toward the end.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

petert

Just my $.02, but I'd say don't bother with heart rate if racing, just go by feel.

heart rate could be a good tool to make sure you limit your effort, in which case I would say just keep to your standard 10-beat MAF range.

(I do 100% of my training runs within my 10-beat MAF range, for context)

edit...  I just re read the first post, and for sure, you can indeed help yourself by going out slower than you think you should!

seguhi

I've only done 1 Ultra a 40 miler but I tried to stay at MAF as much as possible but I went over and stopped monitoring and listening to the beeps on my watch at about HM point

Next time I would defo aim for 5 or 10 bpm lower than my MAF range

In prep for my Ultra I did a MAF marathon and it was tough but managed to stick at MAF the most part few spikes but normal for HR drift and fatigue

I listened to a podcast on Endurance planet that recommended stopping monitoring HR for MAF after 20 miles I would personally try to keep as eye on it for at least half the distance but it depends on the race type (point to point or loops etc) and overall distance and terrain can have an impact

I'm aiming for more Ultras and want to use MAF for the bulk if not all of my training so hopefully will have more info in the future