Low HR Training

"Race Report & Upcoming Races" Thread (Read 7775 times)

Docket_Rocket

Ha, hell no.  I have to look good for pictures!

I ran a last minute HM this weekend.  Here is my RR from the race:

Sigh, I thought I was done racing this year, but then a cold front happened!

My next race is the Disney Marathon in January, 2018, but I have been eyeing some short races to see where my speed is at (basically to see if the 10K was a fluke or not).  I registered for the Ft. Lauderdale Jingle Bell Jog 5K next weekend (which now I will probably skip), but I said I wasn't running the Weston Run for Tomorrow Half Marathon unless it was 40F in South Florida. Which in December is basically impossible.  We hit 90F heat index Thursday and 85F on Friday, which is sort of our new normal all year long.  Damn climate change... 😡

But a cold front was coming.  I saw the weekend would have a low of 45F on Sunday and then realized the race was on Sunday!💡  I quickly asked my coach if OK to run it (I had a 10 mile LR but we had talked about the race a bit in prior weeks) and got the OK to register and boom, both me and my husband were in!

I have run this race before, the first and second or third years of the race.  It is a small race, all for charity, put out by the Rotary Club of Weston, FL.  It is run in Weston, a city I would love to move into one day, and it's MIAMI flat (it has one little "hill" but nothing else).  The first year I ran it was cold, but the rest of the years it has been hot so I never register.  But I was looking forward to going back and run it.

We woke up at 5am for a 6:20am start.  Weston is 15-20 mins away and I munched on my Krispy Kreme donuts and Mtn Dew on the way.  When we got there, a bit later than I wanted to (men!), the main roads were already closed so it took us a long while and a lot of asking for directions from cops, to find the parking lot and the starting line.  We parked at 6:16am and when we got off the car they were already singing the Anthem.  Oh, well, I have been in potta potties when they sing the Anthem before, so I was actually still on time!

We parked like 50ft from the start (one of the perks of small races) and went straight to the start line.  And off we went!

According to the McMillan Calculator, my 10K indicated a 2:05 half marathon and a 4:23 marathon.  So, this HM would serve either as confirmation or maybe improvement from that.  I still don't think I can run a 4:23 marathon just because I've run fewer miles this years but hitting a 2:05 would confirm I can shoot for a 4:30 or something like that.  My PR is 2:04:31 from Disney almost 6 years ago, so I wanted to see if I could run a PR or be as closed to that PR as possible.  Oh, to be young once again (and asthma free)!

My plan was to run the first mile easy (I predicted we would get there late and wouldn't be able to warm up - 18 years of marriage makes you know a person really well after all, lol) so I was thinking something around the 10-10:30mm would be good.  Which is why I ran Mile 1 at 9:38mm 😂😂😂. Oh, well. The best laid plans and all.

Miles 1-6.50:

My plan for the first half of the race was NOT to run faster than 9:30 and slower than 9:40mm.  Immediately my pace wanted to be in the 9:10s and I forced myself all these miles to slow down.  I am glad I did because the second half of the race felt harder and I might have crashed had I not exercised some patience.  PS, I have no patience or self control.

Laps:

9:38

9:32 (I can be patient)

9:30 (It's hard to be patient, but still)

9:32 (Being patient sucks, eat a gel and try to chill, Damaris.  Hey, why is there a headwind?)

9:39 (Why is my shoe loose and why is this headwind still around?)

After Mile 5, I noticed my shoe was super loose.  I had decided to finally try to run sockless so I didn't have the sock issue for this race and that worked great, but the Cliftons getting loose during the race really messed my pace for 1-2 miles.  It was like carrying a shoe that wanted to just fly out of your leg while trying to run.  So, after much mumbling about not stopping like I do when I have socks on, I stopped to fix it.  There, not even a second wasted on it.

9:39 (Headwind, I hate headwinds.  Have I told you I hate headwinds?)

Miles 6.50 - Mile 13.1:

The turnaround was around Mile 6.50 or so and I was glad to get out of the headwinds.  I decided that the turnaround was the time I would no longer look at slowing down but rather just burst the fastest pace I could do.  It got harder as I got closer to the finish, don't get me wrong, and I really thought I was slowing down a lot and was expecting to crash any minute.  My brain didn't get that I was running a negative split and that I was bursting the fastest paces of the race. Who knew?

Miles 6.50 to 10.25 are straight towards the sun and I started feeling like it wasn't 47F but rather 1000F, lol.  The "hill" at Mile 10 didn't help that feeling.

Laps:

9:27 (Hello, husband behind me! See? I'm still faster than you! 😂)

9:27

9:31 (Last gel)

9:31 (Is that the hill, again?  Sheesh.  I feels steeper than it did at Mile 3!)

9:29

9:35 (I'm crashing.  Pretty sure I'm crashing but thankfully, the sun is no longer in front of me and I'm not bursting on fire)

9:26

8:43 (0.13)

I had no idea I was running the fastest mile of the race at Mile 13. I changed the watch's view to total time and distance (I had before lap pace and distance).  So, I'm happy to see I was able to pull that number at the end.  I used the Garmin instead of my trusty TomTom because I pulled it out in the dark and I wish I had taken my TomTom, because the optical HR of the Garmin sucks.  The HR shows that I wasn't moving at all, just laying on the couch.  POS.

I finished and apparently I looked like I was about to pass out or something because the med guy asked me if I was OK.  I was, just winded.  I just almost PRd right here, give me a minute!

Final official time was 2:05:12, 40 seconds of a very old PR I never thought I could see and, you guessed it, McMillan's prediction (which I have never fulfilled for the HM or the full).  The day was perfect, albeit a bit windy.  I would like to have these same conditions and this same runner on a marathon.  I would be unstoppable if that day ever happens.  It never does, but one can dream, ha.

I wrote an email to the timing company because the race screwed up my AG.  My age is right on active and all, but since they couldn't find our registration on Friday when hubby went to pick up our packets, they entered it manually and they put me as a 45 year old female.  Funny, since the bib says 42 year old female.  No biggie, since I appear as 24th on the wrong AG and I would have been 24th on the right AG.  But if they can fix it, I would like them to.  We'll see.

After getting my medal and a couple of pictures, I went back to the finish to wait for my husband.  The man PRd again (he PRd two weeks ago and in June!) with a 2:18:16.  Lovely!

Here is us after the finish:

Bet you can't even tell which is the operated knee now, eh??? (It's my left one, FYI). Smile

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SD_BlackHills

Wow, great job Docket!  Nice PR!

I guess that McMillian calculator was right on.  Love your comment about being late (men!).  HAHAHA !  I laughed out loud at that one.  Also 1000 degrees, wow it was hot! 

I really like how you set out a plan to go no faster than 9:30 early and stuck to it even though you desperately wanted to go under it.  This requires great discipline and you were rewarded for it.  As you described what you were feeling at various points, I couldn't help but think that this is exactly what an expertly run race SHOULD feel like.  You absolutely nailed it!  GREAT job!

Side notes:  I don't trust the Garmin optical wrist HR's either.  Also I like how you talk about what you had your watch display.  I've always been curious about what other runners display but it's rarely discussed.

Great RR!

Docket_Rocket

If only I can be that disciplined for a marathon, ha.

Yeah, the TomTom Optical HR is amazing and very accurate.  The one on the Garmin, not so much.  This Garmin (230, I think), had only distance, lap pace and HR on the first screen. For my TomTom, I have distance, total time and either HR or lap pace (but it's easier to rotate them).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Last Sunday, I ran the WDW Marathon.  This was supposed to be a race attempt at improving my post-knee surgery time and a good way to start 2017.  To the contrary, it ended up being a slug to the finish full of medical issues.  But still, it's Disney, so fun was had.

My last race for 2017 was the Weston Half Marathon, in which I ran a spectacular race and almost PRd.  So, the stakes for this race at Disney were high.  Especially, after the weather forecast turned to perfect.

Since Disney is semi-local, traveling is not as stressful as for other races.  We drove to Orlando on Friday afternoon and got to our Disney hotel (Port Orleans French Quarter), after dinner.  I had a horrible sleep week with me sleeping only 3-4 hours a week, so I was hoping Friday night was better.  It wasn't.  I woke up feeling run down and probably tired.  The weather was lovely for running, though, and also for walking around (the really cold weather had warmed up a bit).

After breakfast, we proceeded to the expo to pick my bib and to look around.  Managed to meet my friend Deb, so that made my day. Smile

After the expo, we headed to the outlets to do a bit of shopping and then met my friends Alan and Mona and their respective SOs for dinner at the one of the Boardwalk hotels.

I knew going to bed earlier than usual was not going to happen, even if I was tired, so I went to bed at my standard for a 3am wake up call.

Race Day:

Woke up at 3am realizing I had slept probably 1-2 hours.  Couldn't fall asleep and woke up constantly.  Oh, well.  The feels like at that time was 36F and with a bit of wind, so I headed outside wearing my tank, arm warmers, and a thick sweat shirt I would take off at the start.  I wasn't too cold so it was perfect.

I got into one of the buses at the Port Orleans hotel and got to the athlete's village a little after 4am.  There was already a lot of traffic to get there compared to prior years, so I am glad I got on the first bus I saw rather than wait.

I met with fellow INB Alumni, Angi and later with Deb and we headed to the starting corral (Corral D).  Race started at 5:30am.

Miles 1-5:

The weather was awesome, albeit a bit breezy.  We run approximately 5-6 miles in the dark (at least from Corral D), so I was looking forward to see the castle in the dark.  The first few miles are all on the highway heading to the Magic Kingdom and, contrary to other years, I didn't see as much course entertainment as I had in the past.  In any event, I was not going to stop for pictures unless the race was going badly and at this point, it hadn't (but more of that later).  Splits: 10:14, 9:57, 10:01, 10:01, 10:05.

Miles 6-10:

After Mile 5, we entered the back of the Magic Kingdom and headed to the castle.  Although I had not started feeling bad here yet, the pictures tell their own story:

At this point in the race, I had some horrid pictures. All showed me not feeling well. These were the "best" of them.  But at this point, I still felt OK.  Until I threw up at Mile 10...  Splits: 10:14, 10:00, 10:02, 10:07, 10:59.

Miles 11-15:

After the Magic Kingdom, we head towards the water plant and head to Animal Kingdom.  I had been drinking water at all water stations but at one point I accidentally drank some horrid Nuun that I took from a volunteer in the dark.  That almost made me puke even before I puked.  The sun had come out and I felt OK, but my stomach started hating me.  At Mile 10, I stopped briefly and threw up on the side of the road.  Not surprising it was close to the water plant as that area always smells badly.  But I figured it was one and done so I continued running.  Until I entered Animal Kingdom, where I started feeling like shit and then I threw once more after the halfway mark.  Splits: 10:07, 10:09, 10:25, 12:48,10:40.

After the half way point, which I crossed at 2:16 or something like that, I walked for a while and texted my husband.  I was considering heading to the parking area and waiting for the park to open, hop on one of the buses and heading to the hotel.  But that was a good hour away.  Hubby took me off the ledge and told me to run/walk and see if I felt better. I continued on but I didn't run/walk. I just ran until I puked, and puked and ran, and puked some more.  I kept drinking water at the stations, but not sure if that helped or hurt me at that point.  I just wanted to be done.

A picture of me at the Animal Kingdom.  Don't I look like I'm having a good time?

Miles 16-20:

After the Animal Kingdom, we head once again through the highways towards the ESPN complex.  Although people hate this area of the course, I normally love it. It shows me I'm at Mile 20 and ready to head towards the end of the race.  But this year, I just didn't like any of it.  The out and back that was added in exchange for the speedway that was taken down, to the ESPN track where I met my friend Mike and we talked a bit, to the stadium where my shoes got full of debris and I had to stop to fix them. On top of that, I threw up twice in this section.  But I couldn't believe I was still going.  At this point, it would have been impossible for me to just stop and head to the hotel, which is closer to Epcot.  It was the point of keep going or wait three hours for a bus or my husband.  Splits: 12:53, 11:02, 14:47, 11:24, 13:48.

I will let you know guess which ones included throwing up (Mile 18) and the debris removal at Mile 20.

OMG, It's Almost Over:

By Mile 21, my stomach finally felt better. No more puking after this.  But I was for sure done.  Exhausted.  Hating everything.  We headed to the "hill" that characterizes army men yelling at you to continue, demanding push ups, etc., but this year it was disappointing. Only one guy was there just pushing us to the end.  No Army guy demanding pushups and taking out pictures.  This year Disney character stops were for sure disappointing. I have run this race for many years, and this was the less fun on the course.  Splits: 13:48, 14:15, 11:28, 13:15, 13:32.

At this point, I stopped a lot because for some reason, I kept getting debris in my shoe, or maybe I was just hallucinating, ha. I was also texting my husband more often so I walked during those periods.

After I crossed Mile 25, I was wondering of Mexico was open (World Showcase) to buy a margarita, like I had done last time with Mary during the Dopey Challenge.  At that point, I had stopped throwing up, so I thought it would be a good risk to do so.  And lo and behold, I saw a bystander with a margarita and I asked her if it was opened and it was!  So, I stopped, ordered a mango margarita and then proceeded to the finish line.

Boy that margarita was popular. Bystanders were jealous, fellow runners were sad they didn't get one, a cop was directing us to the finish and he said, finish and get your wine, looked at me and exclaimed, someone has a head start.  Here is the pic of that moment:

Then, I headed to the finish line chute and more people were talking about the margarita:

It was the slowest mile of the race since they took 5 minutes to make my margarita, but oh, it was worth it.  Crossing the finish line with one in hand is somewhat of a tradition:

I so wanted to race this race to see what I could do, and as you can see from the splits, I started doing it, but it was not meant to be.  I heard I wasn't the only one ill during or after the race.  Many others have mentioned they had similar issues.  Still wondering what I ate or what happened, but meh, not worrying about it anymore.  5:09:14 is still one of my fastest post surgery races, so I guess it didn't go that bad after all. Smile

Damaris

Fundraising Page

SD_BlackHills

Wow, Docket.  Your writing style makes it easy for the reader to feel the experience.  I was imagining myself at mile freaking 10 throwing up.  I don't know if I would have continued.  16 miles remaining feeling like crap!  I don't know what your husband told you to talk you off the ledge later when you thought about quitting but whatever it was worked.

The marathon takes SO much out of a person when everything works perfectly.  I can't imagine throwing up multiple times.  You are very, very tough.

Thanks for the story!

Docket_Rocket

He actually threatened to throw out my vodka at home. Smile

But he is also used to me texting him when I'm struggling, so he texts me back and talks to me about trying run/walking, it's Disney, etc., so I just continued.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

BeeRunB

What a freakin' great picture, Damaris! Love it. 

Docket_Rocket

I aim to please. Smile

Damaris

Fundraising Page

SD_BlackHills

2018 Phoenix Marathon Race Report

Time:  2:50:39

Pace:  6:31

Finish:  30th Overall out of 2225 finishers

Mile Splits:

Training Summary:

In the months leading up to this marathon, it was pretty damn cold with questionable footing so I bundled up a lot and ran at a very low effort most of the time.  I ran no intervals at all.  The only real speedwork I did was fast finish long runs in which I would do something like 14 miles at EZ pace and the last 4 miles at near perceived threshold.  I introduced a lot of treadmill runs to avoid the cold and ended up doing a lot of doubles (anywhere from 1 to 4 times a week).  It was not unusual to do 10 miles before work and 4-5 after work.

Mileage varied from around 50 to 110 miles per week depending on feel.  Everything I did was on feel.  If I felt like I needed one or two rest days, I would just take them.

Weekly Mileage:

Week 12 - 72.6 miles

Week 11 - 49.4 miles

Week 10 - 60.4 miles

Week 9 - 103.7 miles

Week 8 - 70.7 miles

Week 7 - 85.4 miles

Week 6 - 83.7 miles

Week 5 - 106.7 miles

Week 4 - 54.3 miles

Week 3 - 110.2 miles

Week 2 - 50.7 miles

Week 1 - 47.4 miles

Race Week - 10.1 miles

Race Plan:  The course is downhill at about a 2.5% grade for the first 2 miles and and then has some uphill at about mile 4.5 to the end of 6.  The course then is downhill for about a 1% grade until the about the half marathon start where it flattens out with a very slight net downhill to the finish.  Knowing this, I want to go out easy and keep my heart rate at around 155-160 until I hit the uphill.  I want to slow down on the uphill and let less experienced runners pass me.  I will then pass them all on the downhill and settle into a consistent rhythm when the road flattens out and try not to go over 165 bpm.  When things get hard just fight til the finish.

The race starts at 6AM so in bed at 8PM, wake at 3 AM and eat 2 caramel rolls with a 13.7 oz glass of Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino.  I will not quite finish the coffee and will nurse it on the bus.  I do not want to have to stop and pee.  I will use this to wash down 2 Imodium pills to prevent the onset of GI problems that I experienced in a prior race.  I'm bringing 4 Vanilla Bean Gu's along.  I will take them at miles 5, 11 and 17 with water.  The fourth Gu is if I feel like taking a little bit at mile 22 or 23 (there are aid stations every mile from 18 to the finish).  I will take little sips of Gatorade at all other aid stations where I don't take a Gu but never finish the cup.

That is basically the plan!

Race Story:

It was pretty cold for Phoenix, AZ.  It was probably about 38 degrees when the buses arrived with a very light breeze.  They let us stay on the buses to stay warm.  Awesome!  We got there, got in line at the porta potties and then went back to the buses to stay warm.  I put on a pair of $3 throw away gloves and arm warmers that I picked up from the owners of the house we were renting (they were heavily involved in the management of the race).  With about 20 minutes to the gun we went outside to get in position.  There were 9 of us staying in the house that all went out together (except for the few guys running the half marathon).   We stopped and took a few pictures:

I'm in the blue with bib number 10007. Look how happy and full of energy we all look! Of course, that was all about to change.  

We then split up and I found a spot near the front behind the leaders but well ahead of the 3:05 pacer.  I got my music started, HRM armband and GPS on and I could just feel the energy in the air.  The gun went off (sounded more like a cannon) and off we went.  My time from the gun to starting line was only 4 seconds.

It was PITCH black out.  It was so dark that I almost ran into a cone on the road.  They should really light the first few miles up better.  I felt cold but I knew that was a temporary problem.  Incredibly, there were people in front of me going what I felt was too slow and had to maneuver around some large packs before settling into what I felt was an appropriate pace.  The first mile was over in a flash and I finished it in 6:44.    That was about perfect as that was slower than what I expected my average pace to end up at.

Right before I hit the uphill section, I passed about 3 groups of runners.  All of them passed me somewhere on the 1.5 mile stretch of uphill.  Most of them didn't look that comfortable doing it.  I, on the other hand, felt extremely comfortable.  It is a marathon after all!  However, about this time, I noticed that my heart rate monitor was totally flaked out and reading a ridiculously low number.  In hindsight, I wonder if it was due to the pressure from the arm warmers that I was wearing (they were very tight).  At any rate, I was not about to ditch the arm warmers and trusted my ability to run the rest of the race by feel.  I honestly can't remember the last time I looked at the HRM readout and was surprised by the reading anyway.  So no biggie.  Here is the heart rate graph hahaha!

Once I crested the hill, as planned, I passed every single person that passed me on the uphill within the next few miles.  I would not get passed by another runner the rest of the race.  Mile 6 in 6:06 and Mile 7 in 6:12 more than made up for the slow down on the uphill.  I felt extremely comfortable at this point.  Things flattened out after that and I moved into the next phase of the race plan which was to get into a comfortable rhythm.  I couldn't rely on my HRM as planned but I don't really think that was necessary.

I hit the half marathon point in 1:24:49.  I didn't know it at the time but I was in 42nd place overall.  Between the half marathon and Mile 20, I passed 8 more people who all had slowed down significantly.  I hit Mile 20 in 2:09:28 now in the 34th place.  The course was starting to get thick with half marathon walkers that I had to avoid (lovely).

Somewhere before the Mile 23 marker I noticed my shoe felt loose on my right foot.  I looked down and noticed that my damn shoelaces were untied!  What .. the .. HELL!!!  Before the race, I double knotted both shoes TIGHTLY!!  How could this happen???!!!  I looked down at my watch and my Average Pace was reading 6:30.  This would put me around a 2:50 finish with an outside shot at 2:49.  God, I wanted 2:49 at this point...  My PR is 2:52:44.  It was decision making time.  Do I stop and tie my shoes?  I was guessing that I would lose at least 20 seconds plus momentum.  Plus I would put myself at risk of cramping.  What if stopping and trying to start again caused me to bonk?  Crap!  I decided to run the rest of the race with a loose shoe.  I was pissed at this point but I think it was the best decision.  Worst case, my shoe flies off but I figured that Marathon Pace was not fast enough to actually fire the shoe off my foot.  You can see the shoe laces flopping around in the pic below:

So I continued on and could not stop thinking about the weird sensation of my shoe feeling loose.  Then I felt myself starting bonk.  Crap!  I was slowing down.  I mentally checked out for a few minutes.  I was afraid to check my pace on my watch but I looked down and saw that my instantaneous pace at that exact moment was 6:50 which was not NEARLY as slow as it felt.  Yet, my Average Pace was still reading 6:30.  And I only had a little over a mile to go.  That gave me a surge of adrenaline.  2:50 was in my sights.  Go get it!!!!

I was seriously running hard at this point.  I'm not used to running hard as I focus on running "comfortably fast".  There was no time for this because I was extremely uncomfortable.  I dug deep and finished Mile 26 in 6:36.  Down the stretch I could see the clock in the distance clicking away at around 2:50:20.  I was sprinting as hard as I can and hit the finish strong.  My official time was 2:50:39 which is a PR by 2 minutes, 5 seconds.  From Mile 20 to the finish I passed 4 more people without being passed by anyone to finish 30th overall.

Very, very pleased with the outcome!  I waited for my friends to finish and then got lots of delicious food and beer.  Was a great weekend!

Bert-o

I lost my rama

SD - Great job and excellent execution, especially with both the HRM gone haywire and that damn shoelace!  Sorry you didn't get sub 2:50, but that's still a great PR.  I think your training is a testament that volume and proper training paces are the most important factors for marathon performance.  The result was well earned and deserved.  Enjoy!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

SD_BlackHills

SD - Great job and excellent execution, especially with both the HRM gone haywire and that damn shoelace!  Sorry you didn't get sub 2:50, but that's still a great PR.  I think your training is a testament that volume and proper training paces are the most important factors for marathon performance.  The result was well earned and deserved.  Enjoy!

Thanks, Bert-o!!  Yes, I think if there is anything to learn from all this, it's that volume and proper training paces are by far the most important factors for marathon performance.

Speaking of volume, the most I could handle before stumbling on this thread was about 50 miles per week.  Once I started following the MAF method, I was able to increase my volume rapidly.  Not because I had a specific volume goal in mind but because I wanted to probably due to feeling so fresh.

BeeRunB

SD, that was a great read. Congratulations on the PR! I chuckled when I saw the pic of the shoelace. I think you had a race gremlin messing with you, messing with your electronics and your laces.  I really enjoyed reading about your training, planning, and strategy.  Starting out at 6:44ish was smart. And 6:31 overall is amazing.  Congrats on 7th place out of 200+ in your division.  Thanks for posting this. Perfect morning reading with my coffee. 

SD_BlackHills

SD, that was a great read. Congratulations on the PR! I chuckled when I saw the pic of the shoelace. I think you had a race gremlin messing with you, messing with your electronics and your laces.  I really enjoyed reading about your training, planning, and strategy.  Starting out at 6:44ish was smart. And 6:31 overall is amazing.  Congrats on 7th place out of 200+ in your division.  Thanks for posting this. Perfect morning reading with my coffee. 

Thanks, jimmyb!!  I guess this just goes to show that no matter how much you plan, there is almost always some crazy unexpected surprise or two to overcome.  And if it wasn't for them, then the stories wouldn't be as fun.  I know I'll be telling this story for a long time and look back on this one fondly.  Glad you enjoyed!

Docket_Rocket

Woah, I keep forgetting about this thread until I have an RR to  post.  Missed SD's RR and it was an amazing one!!!

Here is mine from KY:

On Saturday, I ran the Kentucky Derby Marathon in Louisville, KY.  It was a fun race and my 45th marathon.  I had lots of fun but I was slow due to it being hilly, but it's a race I would run again because it's loads of fun.

After the Disney Marathon, I was supposed to run the Houston Marathon for a PR, but I caught a fever the night before the race and I had to DNS.  But don't fret, as I always have back up marathons all throughout the year!  When I realized KY would be my 45th, I started counting down through the rest of the planned marathon and realize my 50th would be Chicago later this year! Makes sense it would be that one.

After Houston, I ran the Princess Half Marathon weekend with my girlfriends and we had tons of fun.  As I mentioned, hubby and I went straight to the hospital for his second brain surgery, which went well.  His recovery was even more amazing than the last time.  He was running and back to work in 10 days.  My training really did not start in full until after we were back home and rested.  However, for the first time in a while, we had time to train me well and train well we did. I am finally back to the mileage I was before my knee surgery and my speed seems to have come back.  I did some challenging workouts, including a 21 miler that was more a marathon than anything else (in speed and challenges).  Training, as usual, went great.  But you know me, I train well and race poorly and this time it was no exception, ha.

We landed in Indy on Thursday night and stayed overnight.

We headed to Louisville early Friday morning and got to the expo right after lunch and right after finding a Krispy Kreme near KY to buy my donuts and a Target to buy my Mtn Dew.  We stayed at the Galt House and that hotel is great.  It's large (it has two towers) but the room was excellent and the service was great.  The price was also great (we used to the race website to book it) but I suspect we got a huge bargain.  The expo was small, so it only took a few minutes to get our packet and shirts.  The race and expo were well organized.  We headed to watch the Avengers movie right after and that's all I'm going to say about that, lol.

The Marathon had a shirt and a trucker hat, which I think was a perfect match for my INKnBURN:

We had dinner in Bourbon District at the Hard Rock Cafe.  I had some fajitas and my stomach was happy to eat that instead of carbs.  I went to bed at midnight and woke up at 6:10am ready to go.

The race started at 7:30am and we stayed a couple of blocks from the start and finish lines.  We started around 4 minutes after the race started.  No waves.  Just corrals and then everybody started as they crossed the finish line.  My husband went off like a bat out of hell and then I never saw him again until I was finishing.  He was doing the HM and he is slower than me but I feel like he is coming after my 2:04 HM PR, motherfucker.

Miles 1-10
                              The first ten miles of the race are pretty flat. n fact, the Half Marathon was flat or so my husband says.  The first eight miles are uneventful as they go through downtown and then residential areas (and the University of Louisville) on our way to the main attraction, Churchill Downs!  The temps were a bit warmer than I like for marathons, starting at 55F and ending in the 60s.  In fact, that is too hot for marathons for me, lol.  Anyway, the first few miles felt good especially since the sun was hidden behind the downtown buildings.  But once we headed to Churchill Downs, we had the sun to our left (and a strongish wind).  We got to Churchill Downs pretty quickly (well, I did.  My husband was probably already done with it).  I kept looking at my watch and I was running between MP and easy pace for all these miles while my HR was below MP HR, so I kept at it.  I knew the hilly part was coming but I didn't suspect it would be as bad as people said.  The elevation chart is a bit misleading, since all this time I'm thinking that it looks like one bad hill and then downhill or flat til the finish.  Hahahahahaha.

Churchill Downs was fun, but it was smaller than I thought.  I was expecting this stadium sized thing and it was as small as the ones that we have down here.  Fortunately, we didn't have to run in the sand/earth, and we were able to see a couple of horses with their jockeys warming up for their practice.  When we exit Churchill Downs, the Half Marathon turned left back to downtown for more flat running, while we turned right to head to the park where those bad hills are.  The next two miles were flat, albeit with maybe a bit of an uphill at 1%, but what I remember about Miles 9-10 was the smell of horse shit.  It never went away.  Yuck.

Miles 11-17
                              So, remember I thought it was one bad hill at Mile 11.66 and then pretty downhill and flat through the finish?  Well, the park was around five miles long and it had mostly uphills.  It fell like it was uphill both ways, lol.  When I reached the bad hill you see there at Mile 11, I started my long walk (same thing I do at the Flying Pig which has similar uphills for three or so miles) and met two ladies. One was doing her third marathon and one was doing her first.  We chatted for a while and they had the same strategy (walk the uphills and run the rest).  Unfortunately, during these five miles there was not much "rest" to run in.  The downhills were around 0.05 long if at all, followed by a new uphill that little by little killed my legs even when I was walking.  I tried to run one but was glad sanity prevailed and I walked because if I had run this, I would have had to walk the rest of the way to the finish.  It killed my legs but I ran more than I would have had I run these hills.

I crossed the HM in 2:20 or something and I knew I would lose the post surgery fast time because there were more hills to come.  After crossing the HM mat, I sort of quit trying.

The park was beautiful and it had gorgeous views of downtown and other areas below.  There was entertainment during this part as well, but not many people cheering, which is understandable since the park was closed.  The water stations throughout were as good as the others.

Miles 18-26

At this point, I text my husband and say, is this the Flying Pig?  The park felt the same way as the Pig.  In fact, I wish the hills were located similar to where the Pig ones were because it's Miles 6-9 and then you don't hit hills this bad later.  But by placing them from 11-17, which are to me, the hardest miles to race during a marathon (after the HM point and before 20 miles), it made the rest of the race hard.

I finally headed out of the park and for the life of me, the flat miles 18-19 felt like uphill.  My legs were done.  I ran as much as I could but I had issues with my compression sock bunching (FFS, I already ran a marathon sockless, so I should have done the same here but I never learn).  I stopped too many times to fix the sock, and to take water, or Powerade.  Thank you to the man who gave me a whole bottle of Powerade which I drank while walking.  And thank you to the kid that gave me a bottle of Electrolyte Water at Mile 22.  Forever grateful.

Mile 22 is where the other bad hill is located.  At this point I looked at it and said seriously?  Even though I am walking a lot, I still see the same people around me so I know I'm not the only one struggling.  I finished with the same people I was around at Mile 14, so at least that is something.

At this point, I text my husband and whine that I was probably walking the rest of the race.  And then I put my phone in my pocket and proceed to run for two miles (except to fix my sock). And then it becomes three miles. And then I text him I'm at Mile 25.  He texted back that he was 1/2 mile from the finish.  And I keep running and don't see him.  And I keep running and running and thinking how much longer to get to 26, sheesh?  The marker for 25 was 0.40 from my watch, although I think it wasn't placed correctly since I crossed Mile 26 0.20 off from the watch, which is more normal for me.  I finally saw my husband, who took a picture of me on the run (it was hideous so I won't post it) and I head to the finish.  Finished in 5:13:15.  Not the time I wanted (I seriously thought I could at least run a sub-5 in this course, hahahaha), but faster than the San Francisco Marathon and the Pig, both comparably hilly, albeit a bit worse.  So, not too bad.

I had tons of fun at this race, notwithstanding.  The people cheering were having fun even with the slower runners.  It's a party. The only thing I didn't see was bourbon or beer on the course.  I know it was there but most likely it was there for the half marathoners and by the time I went by it was gone.  It was hot and sunny when I finished, so I don't blame them for leaving, lol.

I grabbed a heat blanket and my medal and headed outside to meet my husband and get a beer.

Marathon # 45 is done and 46 is coming up in two weeks.  Next time, don't trust your gut and listen to the people that have run that said it's fucking hilly, lol.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

SD_BlackHills

Holy hell, look at that elevation chart.  Yeah, that looks like a jog it and enjoy the scenery type of run to me.  Sucks that you didn't find beer on the course though.  That would have made it a lot better!  Overall, it sounded like a good experience with a bit of history mixed in.  That sounds like a win to me.

As usual, I really enjoyed your writing style.  I could totally experience the race in my mind.  Number 50 in Chicago will be cool!  Just out of curiosity, do you get an accurate distance on that course?  My friends who have run it said their GPS is always way off there.