Low HR Training

New to MAF and hoping it's right for me (Read 49 times)

teenerz

Hey everyone, I recently learned about Low HR training and after reading about it a bit (including these forums and the FAQ) was inspired to give it a try. I bought Phil's Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing and have just started reading that as well.

I believe I have extremely low aerobic fitness as my times are very slow (just over a 15 min mile) and my heart rate while running is 15-20 beats higher than it should be for MAF.  To get better times I end up running harder and then easily get injured as a result; last time this happened was during a 5K and I ended up injuring my ITB so badly I had to take a break from running entirely. I am hoping that by building my aerobic fitness my times will improve without me getting injured.

I've had a few MAF runs so far and have to jog incredibly slowly, walking on hills etc. and currently have over an 18 min mile pace with this method. I know it will take time and patience but it's frustrating! I have a couple of questions:

• I finished C25K a few weeks ago and have been running 5K 3/x a week since. I have read that I won't get the full benefit of MAF running less than 15-20 miles. If I run 5K 6 days a week, would that be enough? 
    • I know I can't do any aerobic activity while doing MAF. How big of a setback is it if my HR spikes for any reason during this training period? I will be on vacation next month for a week and although I don't intend to let my HR spike it may happen depending on the activities we do.
    • Can I do yoga/pilates or other body weight exercises while also doing MAF?

Thanks in advance!

BeeRunB

Welcome to the forum, Teenerz.

The main things you're looking for with the Maffetone method are more speed at your MAF heart rate, and maintenance of health. You should be getting faster at the same HR and not running injured, sick, and overtrained. It's that simple. Your MAF tests, done every 3-4 weeks, are of the utmost importance. They'll help you keep track.

You're at a stage right now in which walking is necessary. Walking won't hurt. You can make nice gains in aerobic development doing it. I always say that if you have to walk to keep under your MAF HR, then you should be walking. Read this  case study from The Maffetone Method.

As for the "you can't improve at MAF running less then 15-20 miles", well that depends where you're at in your aerobic development. I rebooted back in February and made good progress at around 13-20 miles  per week. Of course, there is a minimum, but that will vary from person to person. Let your MAF tests and how you feel guide you to your sweet spot. Keep increasing volume of duration every week (5% is a good number), keeping tabs on you feel. If you're exhausted on a certain day, rest, and don't try to make it up. I believe it's also a good idea to have at least one day of complete rest from exercise per week. Recovery is equally important as training.

I think you meant "I know I can't do any ANaerobic activity while doing MAF."  "Doing MAF" is sort of a misnomer. MAF is just a specific HR. There are phases of training. The period during which you try to stay at or under your MAF HR, and avoid going above it, is referred to as "base training" or the "aerobic base phase or period." Ideally, this should last at least 12 weeks, but you can make the period much longer (it might be necessary to do so). After this period is finished, you can add some workouts that are above the MAF HR (anaerobic in Maffetonian terms) or start racing. Always monitoring your speed at MAF with the monthly MAF test. During the base phase, the idea  is to focus as much as possible on using the slow twitch fibers. These fibers are aerobic, burn mostly fat, and are what give you endurance. The faster you get at MAF, the more endurance you have. It's important to stay at or below during this phase. Occasional spikes while running probably won't hurt, as long as you get it down quickly. Best not to "cheat" so-to-speak. In fact, sometimes in the beginning it's good to work well below the MAF HR, perhaps using a ceiling 5 beats lower. I and many others have made great progress doing this. If your MAF is 130, instead use a zone of of 115-125. Start the run/walk at 115 BPM, and just hold that speed, letting the HR rise.

As for anything that might be deemed anaerobic that is not running or a workout, don't worry about it. We all have things in life that will occasionally get that HR up, like taking care of yards, homes, children, amorous activities, unavoidable stairs, lifting things, etc. Think of running as adding to your existing "training load" from normal life. The Maffetone principles will help you not overdo it, keep your full training load in check, and avoid the pitfalls that come from exceeding what your body can handle.

As for yoga/pilates and body weight...most likely, yes. Yoga is great for runners, that I know because I do it. When I don't do yoga, I tend to develop lower back problems. I do it during the base phase. I also have lifted light weights and have done pushups with no regression in speed at MAF. One thing I do avoid in yoga are moves that stretch the calves (like downward facing dog), as this causes problems for me.

Let your MAF tests (your "aerobic speed"), and how you feel, guide you. If your speed at MAF is getting slower and you feel like you've been doing more than enough aerobic exercise, then an adjustment in volume might be in order. If you're feeling tired all the time, sick, and blah, then an adjustment might be in order. If you're on a plateau that goes on for too long, same thing. Sometimes it's less volume, sometimes it's more, that is needed. Sometimes, it means you need some speed work. How you feel is always so important when making these adjustments.

Lastly, I just want to clue you into the fact that abnormally high mental stress can depress your aerobic system. Think of your total training load as including the usual mental stress we all face each day. When something happens that sends the stress through the roof for an extended period, regression in speed at MAF might occur. Dr. Phil talks about this in his books, and I've experienced this as well. The probability increases that you'll overtrain or get injured during periods of high stress. Sometimes, a cut in volume is necessary. Summer heat can have the same effect, but the HR monitor should keep you in check (you'll be much slower at the same HR during the summer heat).

That's it. Feel free to ask more questions. I look forward to your participation here. We allow 3 whines about the initial slowness. If you exceed the 3, we'll throw virtual dog poo-poo on your virtual shoes and say "You're a whiner" 3 times.

Good luck! 

teenerz

Thank you for your response jimmyb!  I really appreciate it and it was very informative. I just read that case study you linked to as well and it is encouraging - although it took her a long time to see great results, it is motivating to know that I can get faster via this method in a safe way that doesn't involve pushing myself to the point of exhaustion to see even slight improvements (and ending up injured and having to take time off like what has happened to me in the past). My goal is to be able to run marathons and some ultras, so this technique makes me feel like it's genuinely within my grasp to get to that point.

Also I laughed out loud and the three whines allowance about the initial slowness, LOL! 

janegrant0023

As the creator of the platform has once told, there is nothing more pleasing than helping college students thrive with their academic assignments. Check out the reviews available on the website to achieve the desired results.

SarahGreen7

Are you new to cosplay? Are you intimidated by all the costumes and materials you need to get started? Fear not! CosplaySource provides helpful tips and reviews so you can get started on the right foot.

hopkinsm

Custom writing is advantageous because you will end up with cheap essay writing service https://essaysforme.com/cheap-essay-writing-service unique content written your liking. Revisions are always available for as much time as you need your work reviewed. You only get original content if you order for a customized essay. All the rights to the paper are yours on submission; we do not sell your report to anyone else. Formatting, editing, and referencing are according to your requirements, making you her happy return customer. The best thing about our services is that you can communicate with the writer for any additional information.

kateherun

Writing an assignment can be challenging, depending on the complexity of the topic and the amount of research needed. It's important to plan ahead and set aside adequate time to complete the assignment. If the topic is difficult, you may need to break it down into smaller tasks and take time to research and review your sources of information. Source: https://bid4papers.com/write-my-assignment.html

kelvinrearden90

How you can Select the very best Masters Dissertation Writing Services

A dissertation is a vital paper that proves you've sufficient abilities to make a master's or doctoral diploma. It's an extensive bit of study that requires months to write down. In the event you are battling this job, think about obtaining expert assist in the very best masters dissertation writing services. These businesses provide top-notch function for an inexpensive cost. Additionally they offer totally free revisions and well timed shipping and delivery. Additionally, they've an excellent consumer assistance group that's accessible spherical the clock to reply your concerns. When selecting a services, it is advisable to go along with 1 that's been in company for additional than 10 many years. This may make sure they are legit and also have a great track record. In addition, appear in the high quality in their writing and whether they've a plagiarism-free assure.

Additionally, verify when they have clear pricing constructions that obviously define the various services as well as their corresponding costs. If you are not happy using the function you get, you are able to usually get the a reimbursement in the business. This can be a signal they treatment regarding their clients and need to make sure that they're pleased with their services. Furthermore, they need to possess a refund coverage that's distinct and simple to know. An additional factor to help keep in your mind would be that the high quality of one's dissertation ought to be high-quality and plagiarism-free. The very best masters dissertation writing services will make sure that their writers are skilled and certified to deal with your assignment. They'll even be in a position to satisfy your deadlines and can post a whole and well-written dissertation that's certain to impress your supervisor and make you first-class grades. The author will study and collect all of the needed info and create a top level view for your dissertation. They'll also verify the content material for plagiarism and proper any mistakes.

They'll then produce a draft from the dissertation and deliver it for you for the acceptance. In the event you aren't happy using the draft, the author can make the required modifications till you're pleased using the last dissertation. When searching to get a high quality master's dissertation writing services, it's crucial to appear in the critiques from prior customers. You are able to also inquire the organization to get a sample in their function. This may allow you to determine if they're correct for you personally. Furthermore, you need to usually select an organization that provides 24/7 assistance. By doing this, you will get assist if any issues come up using the dissertation. Certainly one of the very best master's dissertation writing services is EssayPro. Their writers are all school graduates with levels within their area of experience. Additionally, they've been educated to write down dissertations as well as other educational paperwork inside a number of topics. Additionally they possess a stringent recruiting procedure to make sure that they're the very best within the business. The services also features a safe payment method. They're a well known option amongst college students due to their dependability and affordability.

donnahard

Hey! This site https://essaysrescue.com/paperhelp-review/ has helped me find essay writing services for all of my academic needs. Thanks to the reviews on this site, I've been able to find services that can help me with all of my assignments. I'm grateful to this site for providing such a comprehensive resource. The site has been a reliable resource for me throughout my academic journey.

karollegerd

I concur that writing complex essays can be a daunting task, requiring a significant amount of time and effort. Personally, I consistently turn to proposal writing service for my academic needs. Over the years, they have consistently delivered high-quality work at an affordable price. I believe you will be impressed by their professionalism.

laurajones

These books are incredibly entertaining to read and listen to and I have recommended them to others. And then theres this Pokemon Bulbasaur Hoodie which is also rather fascinating.

bekean

Enjoy the friendly competition in Wordle – the game that connects players worldwide.