Low HR Training

Off Season LHR Questions (Read 287 times)

jdazzle

so i started lhr last year sort of haphazardly to get back into running shape.  then came my road races, tris, then more road races where i started to shy away from lhr in order to get comfortable running at higher heart rates to get faster.  i did end up getting a pr in a half marathon a few weeks ago, but am now re-tooling my off season to get ready for some oly tri's and hopefully a full marathon in the fall.

i did my first lhr run yesterday morning, and just as expected my aerobic engine has deteriorated due to anaerobic activity (best lhr run last year ~11:30m/m, yesterday ~12:50m/m).  i'm planning on base training until april or so, so i hope that my pace improves!  here are the two questions:

1.  i turn 32 in a month or so.  does that mean i automatically reduce my maf by 1?  do i keep it the same as last year?

2.  now that i've been physical for 2 years with no history of injury, is it time to increase my maf +5?

thanks!  oh, and it's time to start losing the blubber again...  anyone up for weight checks for the next 3 months or so?

BeeRunB

so i started lhr last year sort of haphazardly to get back into running shape.  then came my road races, tris, then more road races where i started to shy away from lhr in order to get comfortable running at higher heart rates to get faster.  i did end up getting a pr in a half marathon a few weeks ago, but am now re-tooling my off season to get ready for some oly tri's and hopefully a full marathon in the fall.

i did my first lhr run yesterday morning, and just as expected my aerobic engine has deteriorated due to anaerobic activity (best lhr run last year ~11:30m/m, yesterday ~12:50m/m).  i'm planning on base training until april or so, so i hope that my pace improves!  here are the two questions:

1.  i turn 32 in a month or so.  does that mean i automatically reduce my maf by 1?  do i keep it the same as last year?

2.  now that i've been physical for 2 years with no history of injury, is it time to increase my maf +5?

thanks!  oh, and it's time to start losing the blubber again...  anyone up for weight checks for the next 3 months or so?

Hey Dazz,

Congrats on a fine race season! Goes to show you that , eventually, the hard stuff/race season will make your aerobic system and aerobic speed deteriorate.

1. No. You can keep the same MAF for up to 5 years. Just as long as you haven't over-trained or been injured, or seen major regression in your MAF tests.

2. That's up to you. If your MAF tests respond, then I imagine you're good. You could always stay at the 149 (is it 180-31 for you?) to be sure for now. IF your tests are improving at 180-age with no adjustments, then I imagine you're good there, too. There might come a time when you've improved your tests past the 11:30, (e.g. 9:00), when it will be obvious you can add the five beats. 12:50 is a sign that your RQ isn't too great right now.

I'll get the blubber thread going again. I've put a stop to some recent gain and need to get back to publicly pressuring myself! :>Wink

--Jimmy