Low HR Training

New member: my (somewhat long) story and a couple of questions (Read 3594 times)

So here was the final outcome: I finished the San Francisco marathon last Sunday in 4:18:46 Smile)  Major lessons for me:

1. My 3 mile and 12 mile pace runs indicated 4 to 4:15, so the finish time was pretty close. And boy was the course tough - when it was not energy sapping uphills, it was knee busting downhills! And still I bettered my PR by 13 minutes (4:31 was six years ago), so not bad at all!
    2. As I got into the race, I quickly realized that there was no way I could pace my miles, given the hilly nature of the course. So I ran focusing only on my heart rate - starting with 140-145 range and increasing it by 5-10 beats every five miles (I ran the last few miles at 175-180 and peaked at 181; my maxHR is 186). In retrospect this was a great thing to do - my pace even improved towards the end
    3. This was my third marathon but the first one where I felt fully in control - I always felt I was pacing it right and that I had enough energy left in me to finish the race. Only when I was getting close to the 26th mile (I could see the finish line) did my right leg start cramping - I immediately slowed down to a walk for one minute before picking it back up

My only peeve, if any, with the race was that it was difficult to do a good warm up (I did warm up for 30 min, getting my HR to 130, on the way to the race but then had to be part of the queue for about 20 min - by then my heart came down to 80) and impossible to do any cool down (too much marketing and hoopla at the end of the race). Even then, my legs were sore only for 3-4 days: I just went for a 9 mile run this morning Smile

I was originally hoping to take it easy for the next few months and do another marathon next spring, but now I am seriously contemplating the New York marathon.

Will keep you guys posted

Nagendra

congrats! Smile

curious - what was your HR average?

Nagendra

runnerclay,

I did do a MAF test today: first mile in 10:25, second mile 10:30 and third mile 10:50 (after 20 min warm up; treadmill wiht 0.5 degree incline). My first mile before the race in similar condition was 9:35 - I guess this is the regression! I have to say I am a bit surprised Sad

cmon2,

My average HR for the race was 157

Nagendra

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

runnerclay,

I did do a MAF test today: first mile in 10:25, second mile 10:30 and third mile 10:50 (after 20 min warm up; treadmill wiht 0.5 degree incline). My first mile before the race in similar condition was 9:35 - I guess this is the regression! I have to say I am a bit surprised Sad

cmon2,

Nagendra

Yes, it usually a surprise.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

runnerclay,

cmon2,

Nagendra

I would say that's pretty normal for the first couple of days after a race...well at least for us mortals (not aerobigods). if the race related setback lasts significantly longer then you have to be very careful

PS: "couple of days" refers to shorter stuff, 5k, half marathon etc really.. maybe marathon setback can last longer? no idea.. I would run only easy/MAF/recovery runs until test comes back to normal.