Low HR Training

Few Hills what to do ? (Read 387 times)

Kenny B.

I have been at MAf for two weeks now. I am having trouble finding hills during my weekday runs which vary and will vary from 4 miles to 14 miles. I do hit some hills but nothing that steep. Example my MAF Hr is 144 or between 139 and 149. When I run flat surfaces I am usually around on avg. 10:00 pace or so per mile keeping my HR at around 144-149. When I go down these small hills I might hit 9:20ish if I am lucky keeping my HR around MAF. On a 4-5 mile run I hit two of these types of hills. It is not until I get up to 10-20 miles where I can get to more HILLS. Am I worrying to much about the hills? Am I going to lose so much speed by not running that much on hills? Sunday long runs of 13-20 I can run and eventually hit some good hills. Would that suffice? Any feedback. PS: I ran last week all my runs on the beach when I was in Punta Cana. It was beautiful but boring as hell without some change in elevation.
    "A true master is not suffering, but simply experiencing a set of circumstance that you call insufferable."
      Hills are great for strength.(and aerobic speedwork as Jesse calls it) Perhaps you can get to a location and run some hills once a week or so? Maybe just do a few hill repeats if nothing else. I don't know that you will lose speed per se but if you never run hills and then try to race with them, you will definitely be affected. It might affect you more mentally more than anything. Smile
      C-R

It's flat here in the Midwest and hills here are more like speed bumps. When I really need a good hill workout, I go to some parking garages for office complexes and run up and down the ramps. I do this on weekends when there is little or no traffic potential. The plus side is 1) its under roof but still outside 2) its interval hills since you get to run the parking deck to get to the next ramp 3) your downhills drop you off in the same place you started 4) I can vary my route to place the hills at whatever mile marker I need or multiple times if needed in a loop. Just an idea from a flatlander. MTA: I do these "hills" at MAF or less. Not sure if it provides a true hill workout but it breaks the monotony of flat runs.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Kenny B.

Thanks for the replies. I think my question was not stated clearly. I am not looking to do HILL work per say like repeats etc. That I can do when I finish MAF training. Under MAF we are to keep our HR in a certain range. So repeats certainly would not allow for that. It was suggested by MAF and others to run on hills throughout your run do get some quick leg turnover but at the same time keeping your HR in the MAF range. 144 (+/- 5).
          "A true master is not suffering, but simply experiencing a set of circumstance that you call insufferable."
          BeeRunB

Thanks for the replies. I think my question was not stated clearly. I am not looking to do HILL work per say like repeats etc. That I can do when I finish MAF training. Under MAF we are to keep our HR in a certain range. So repeats certainly would not allow for that. It was suggested by MAF and others to run on hills throughout your run do get some quick leg turnover but at the same time keeping your HR in the MAF range. 144 (+/- 5).
            Actually, the way you establish your MAF zone is MAF to MAF -10. So if your MAF is 144, the zone is 134-144. 144 is a ceiling. "Blips" (nothing longer than a second or two) of 145 are okay. I've made progress with MAF without any downhill work (winter on the treadmill). I was able to get my race speed turnover back pretty quickly once race season starts, or after only a few LT runs. Though you might feel that your legs aren't moving at first. I see the wisdom in doing the hill work though. And always incorporate hills when running outside. Making sure to stay under the MAF ceiling, even if I have to walk. --Jimmy P.S. I drive 10 miles to one of my hills courses.
            Kenny B.

Actually, the way you establish your MAF zone is MAF to MAF -10. So if your MAF is 144, the zone is 134-144. 144 is a ceiling. "Blips" (nothing longer than a second or two) of 145 are okay. I've made progress with MAF without any downhill work (winter on the treadmill). I was able to get my race speed turnover back pretty quickly once race season starts, or after only a few LT runs. Though you might feel that your legs aren't moving at first. I see the wisdom in doing the hill work though. And always incorporate hills when running outside. Making sure to stay under the MAF ceiling, even if I have to walk. --Jimmy P.S. I drive 10 miles to one of my hills courses.
              Jim I thought it is MAF + or - 5 not MAF to maf - 10. What gives? If you have been exercising for more than two years without any problems, making progress in competition without injury, add 5. THis is from MAFF
              wanderingoutlaw

Jim I thought it is MAF + or - 5 not MAF to maf - 10. What gives? If you have been exercising for more than two years without any problems, making progress in competition without injury, add 5. THis is from MAFF
                Jimmy is referring to the zone you keep your heart rate in while exercising (after warm-up). Whatever number you come up with for your MAF (be it 180 - age, or 180 - age with 5 or 10 beats added or subtracted due to current health and fitness), that number is used as the upper range of your heart rate zone and 10 beats below is the lower range. For example my MAF is 180 - 37 (my age at the beginning of this year when I figured) - 5 (due to not progressing much in aerobic fitness over the previous year) = 138 With MAF=138 I would warm-up to 128 and then maintain heart rate between 128 and 138, trying not to let the heart rate spike above. Hope that helps some.

John

lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

GODSTRONG, As I understand it, and you will want to do a thorough review of the "stickys" to get it "straight from the horse's mouth", you'd want to establish your personal maf number based on the instructions that are listed. The number that you eventually arrive at is in fact a product of things such as your running experience, overall health, etc. You could therefore possibly increase your raw maf number by 5 bpm, provided you've established a couple of years of injury free running. It's not written in stone, however. Where the minus 10 comes into play is to insure that you can maintain a pretty consistent pace during your runs. Ordinarily you will experience heartrate drift, such that if you started your run at exactly maf, you'd likely find your pace slowing as you proceed, which can be frustrating. Conversly, if you start at say 130 bpm and gradually build to 140 with succeeding miles, it tends to keep you moving smoothly. This can be especially useful in extreme heat and humidity. Hope this sheds a little light. lg Looks as though you "beat me to the draw", Outlaw!! Wink Not about to waste this painstaking typage, though.
                  ♪ ♫ Hey, hey, we're Maf Monkees And people say we monkey around. ♪ ♫ (The Monkees)
                  Give me 12:59 in '09, please. I deserve it! (Maf of course)..No more teens! No more teens! (ME! ME! ME!)
                  ♪ ♫ I Thank The Lord For The Night Time...And I Thank The Lord For You ♪ ♫ (Neil Diamond)
                  BeeRunB

Our misunderstanding is that I consider MAF as the final calculated number. You first calculate 180-age then if you feel you need an adjustment according to his adjustment list: From "Training For Endurance" page 39 by Dr. Phil Maffetone 2nd Edition * If you have or are recovering from a major illness (heart disease, any operation, any hospital stay) or on any regular medication, subtract 10. * If you have not exercised before, you have exercised but have been injured or are regressing in your training or competition, or you get 2 or more colds or flu per year or have allergies, subtract 5. * If you have been exercising for up to two years (at least 4 times per week) with no real problems and have not had colds or flu more than once or twice a year, subtract 0. * If you are a competitive athlete who has been training for more than two years without any problems, and have made progress in competition without injury, add 5. If you are adding 5, then your MAF is (180-age) +5. If you are 36, then your MAF is 149. The zone you use is 139-149. If you are subtracting 5 then your MAF is (180-age) -5. If you are 36, then your MAF is 139. The zone you use is 129-139. We are saying the same thing. Maffetone says the adjusted number is your MAF, not the 180-age by itself. There! Now we can....like...connect. --Jimmy
                    Kenny B.

Our misunderstanding is that I consider MAF as the final calculated number. You first calculate 180-age then if you feel you need an adjustment according to his adjustment list: From "Training For Endurance" page 39 by Dr. Phil Maffetone 2nd Edition * If you have or are recovering from a major illness (heart disease, any operation, any hospital stay) or on any regular medication, subtract 10. * If you have not exercised before, you have exercised but have been injured or are regressing in your training or competition, or you get 2 or more colds or flu per year or have allergies, subtract 5. * If you have been exercising for up to two years (at least 4 times per week) with no real problems and have not had colds or flu more than once or twice a year, subtract 0. * If you are a competitive athlete who has been training for more than two years without any problems, and have made progress in competition without injury, add 5. If you are adding 5, then your MAF is (180-age) +5. If you are 36, then your MAF is 149. The zone you use is 139-149. If you are subtracting 5 then your MAF is (180-age) -5. If you are 36, then your MAF is 139. The zone you use is 129-139. We are saying the same thing. Maffetone says the adjusted number is your MAF, not the 180-age by itself. There! Now we can....like...connect. --Jimmy
                      OK exactly. I have been doing just what you stated above. My MAFF is 144 but I added 5 because I have been doing well and injury free pretty much for 2 and half years. So my zone is 139-149 (180-36=144+-5) I usually start out the first mile staying close to 139. THanks everyone I feel much better. I thought I was totally doing this wrong.