Low HR Training

is this the right place for me? (Read 311 times)

mjwithtwins

I've been an on and off again new runner for years. I never seem to get past that newbie phase before I end up hurt . The most I've ever done is consistant running for about 9 months with no more then a couple of 5Ks during that time and that was over 6 years ago, before I had children. Oh, and I'm slow, I mean very very slow! In the fall I tried a local running club's training program but the times didn't work out for me and I felt like the coach was pushing me to do too much too soon since I hadn't done any running in over a year. So I gave up and now I'm trying to be a "new" runner all over again on my own. Previously, I've done the C25K a few different times. I know I can get myself up to running a slow 5K again with the same method but I'm looking to try something new. I didn't do the MAF test but I did just start the other week jogging slower then I can walk on my treadmill for 45 min to an hour at a time. I was really surprised that I was able to actually "run" for that long without causing stress to my SI joint and PF problems in my foot. In fact, I felt like it would be no problem to do it all over again the next day and I've never been able to run on consecutive days because of my past injuries. So I guess after saying all of that, my questions is if this is a good way for me to reintroduce running back into my life? Is MAF worth while for someone that is, for all intents and purposes, new to the activity or is it more for people that are trying to improve on a foundation that is already there?
      Damn! I typed a long response and it disappeared! In a word, yes. You can ease into your training, you can stay injury free better than hard running, and it's fun. It can be frustrating but if you don't mind walking and don't have race goals in the next few months, what can it hurt? Go for it. Check out Van Aaken's Method too for a $1 from Amazon. That's my template. Run easy. You'll be able to run longer without getting injured and that will allow you to get fit better than running fast.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

GMoney

Is this a good way to reintroduce running into your life? Short answer - Yes, but if you take up this "madness" you might find it's quite some time before you're running again. What I think is very clear is that it's a great way to make sure the physical activity you undertake is done in a way that promotes health as well as fitness - there's a difference. If you've had injury problems in the past this method may be just what "the Doctor" ordered. Check out the resources on this board (especially formationflier's FAQ). There's lots of good information here and good people of all walks (and runs) of life. VanAaken is a good read (if a little dated), and his basic approach is pretty easy to understand. However (and no disrespect, Buddo), if you're just getting started I'd recommend that you get your hands on a copy of "The Maffetone Method." Have you read it (or another of Maffetone's books) already? It's a very simple and accessible summary of his method that is aimed at people like you. Just don't mistake "simple" for "easy." From your message it sounds like you may be judging the intensity of your jogging efforts based on a subjective assessment. Very tough to do this correctly when you're just getting started. There are some purists and "zen masters" here who are so in touch with their inner self (or have just been at this for so long) that they instinctively know where their heart rate is, but for most of us - me included - a heart rate monitor is an essential tool to help make sure you're in "the zone" - especially when you're just getting started. You may want to consider getting one if you decide to plunge into LHR. No need to "geek out" with a high end model at the start - a really simple model is all you should need now.
          Only in a really screwed up society dominated by postmoder philosophy and virtues of tolerance as the highest ideal would one get offended by someone disagreeing with them, or expressing an opinion. No disrespect taken brother. Cool Those zen masters got that way from many many hours of hearing their hr beepers going off, glancing down at their wrist to note the number, and correlating the two. The physical sensations attendant with each hr have been learned and correlated to the number so they can tell you by feel what hr they're at. I'm not there yet, but gettin there. Maybe in another year I can ditch it. I like it though cause mine calculates pace and distance too, which I appreciateon the trails. mjwithtwins, he's right. Get a hr monitor. It will let you know how hard to run, or in this case, easy.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

mjwithtwins

IFrom your message it sounds like you may be judging the intensity of your jogging efforts based on a subjective assessment. Very tough to do this correctly when you're just getting started. There are some purists and "zen masters" here who are so in touch with their inner self (or have just been at this for so long) that they instinctively know where their heart rate is, but for most of us - me included - a heart rate monitor is an essential tool to help make sure you're in "the zone" - especially when you're just getting started. You may want to consider getting one if you decide to plunge into LHR. No need to "geek out" with a high end model at the start - a really simple model is all you should need now.
            Oh no, I'm absolutely using a HRM. I didn't read the book, just the article that's post on RRCA website. Like I said I didn't do a MAF test but I did figure out my MAF which was 180-36(age) -5 for not being consistantly active for the past 6 months and came up with 139 and I've been trying to keep it more in the low 130s but towards the end of the hour I have little spikes up to 139. As soon as it beeps at me I slow down and work on my breathing and I can usually bring it back down to around 135-137 in 30 -60 seconds. So far I've been able to jog around 20min/mile and keep my HR in that low 130s range. Like I said, I can walk faster then that but if I try and go faster I can only keep my HR down below 139 for the first 15-20 minutes and then I struggle the rest of the hour keeping it down at lower speeds. The first time I started off around 15min/mile but was down to about walking slower then 24 min/mile after 15 minutes because my HR spiked into the high 140s. I feel silly jogging at 15 min/mile so 20min/mile feels down right rediculous but I thought consistancy was better them going up and down chasing my HR. I'll try and get my hands on the book . I'm sure I'll get more out of it then just that article. Thanks for the advice!
              Sounds like you're doing fine. Keep it up. Put in as much volume as you can in that 130-137bpm range. Just do what you can. I would say too that at this low level of intensity, you would benefit from daily walking/jogging. Makes it easier to make it a habit too.

GMoney

Great! If youv'e got an HRM then you're half way to the start! Kidding aside, it sounds like you've got the right attitude and are doing well so far. Whether walking or running it's more important that you are exercising in the proper HR zone and having fun, so do what you need to keep yourself moving in your target zone and enjoying it. One important thing missing from Dr. Maffetone's RRCA article is the need for a proper warm up and cool down. Take 12-15 minutes to gently bring your HR up to your zone and end with a gentle cool down of similar length so that your HR coasts down and doesn't drop quickly. If you can get your hands on "The Maffetone Method" you'll find his training - as descibed there - is focused on reducing stresses to a level your body can handle. It's more holistic than simply running at a certain HR. Buddo - I dig your style, man.
                mjwithtwins

Sounds like you're doing fine. Keep it up. Put in as much volume as you can in that 130-137bpm range. Just do what you can. I would say too that at this low level of intensity, you would benefit from daily walking/jogging. Makes it easier to make it a habit too.
                  Thanks I was wondering about that. I feel like I can go every day at this rate but I wasn't sure if that was a good idea or not. I've been doing every other day but maybe I'll start trying every day. It really doesn't feel like I'm getting much of a workout at all.
                  Rudolf

I have a different suggestion - since You made such a great step-change to LOW HR running already> Try for few weeks to keep it under 120 and let it run for as long as You feel like it. If it is hard to keep pace for 1 hour, that it is too fast anyway. and another suggestion - walking is more natural, if You can walk for 2 hours and stay around HR=100, that would be teh best training for You for few months, do not be concern with distance, pace speed or lack of it. alternating 2H walk at 100 and 1H run at 120 seems to be simplest system in Your situation and build into it slowly.
                    BeeRunB

So I guess after saying all of that, my questions is if this is a good way for me to reintroduce running back into my life? Is MAF worth while for someone that is, for all intents and purposes, new to the activity or is it more for people that are trying to improve on a foundation that is already there?
                      MAF training is about building the foundation. Your story about getting injured is a common newbie story. Too much too soon before you're ready. MAF training is about maintaining health while getting fitter. Giving your body the time to adapt to the stresses of running. This might mean that you'll have to do some walking along with running in the first few months or so. Running under your MAF is not about running slow, but about getting faster aerobically over time. Read the FAQ, the boilerplate stickies. Also, go to http://www.philmaffetone.com and check out his free articles and interviews (sign-up is free and anonymous). His book, The Maffetone Method, explains everything. Also there are links provided in the stickies to various webpages. Figure out your MAF and get started. Remember to think long term. Building your aerobic foundation takes awhile. So keep the time on your feet to healthy level and build time slowly. Forget about miles, structure your workouts by time. One thing you'll find is that you feel pretty good when running under your MAF. You won't feel beat up. Good luck! --Jimmy