Low HR Training

Longer Runs and Lower Heart Rate (Read 743 times)

TexasRunner

I've noticed an interesting situation with my longer runs.

Right now, i run about 6 miles/day during the week. Most of those runs are around 8:40-9:00+ (depending on a variety of factors). I typically do a 12-mile run on the weekend. I noticed that my speed at the same heartrate gets faster the longer I run. Has anyone else noticed this?

I am 45 with 32+ years of running experience. I use 145 as my HR ceiling due to the 180-45+5. I added 5 beats because I remember reading some article (Mark Allen) that suggested an extra 5 bpm for certain people, but I can't remember why now.

Anyway, during yesterday's 12-mile run on 3 4-mile loops, my 1st loop was in 34:26, the 2nd loop was in 34:22, but I covered the 3rd loop in 33:29. I've noticed this on my other 12-mile run, and I've noticed it on 10-mile runs. My 6-mile runs get faster if I start slow. The pace for the first loop yesterday was faster than my 6-mile pace.

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced it. Other than that, MAF-type running has gone great. I've gone from virtually no running to easily running 12-mile runs and 40-mile weeks (on 5 runs due to life) with no problems. I do a lot of my runs in Nike Free 3.0 although I weigh just under 200 pounds currently. I'm looking to drop about 25 pounds as I progress.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Although I'm older and slower, I did have a maf test where I ran faster at the same hr in second and third mi of maf running. It was attributed to insuffiicent warm up before starting the test. I'm not sure if that is it or not because I am also on beta blockers which can do funny things to hr. For insance I can be walking and hr gets to 83 then suddenly drops to 76-77 without any change in pace. I've been doing a 2 mi warm up these days in order to get the bod settled down. Other than that I am satisfied with the lhr approach to training. It has allowed me to run 5-6x/week for 5-7 hrs total. I go by hrs more than mi, although that works out to over 25 mi/week. Which is reasonable high for me to date.

bob e v
      2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

GMoney

Is your heart rate steady throughout the run and during each loop?  If your HRM has a "lap" function you might want to try taking an average HR split on each loop and compare what your average HR is for each.  I sometimes find that I can maintain a faster pace at a given HR near the end of a run.  I wonder if some of it is psychological - whether knowing that I'm in the "home stretch" reduces some subtle mental tension or anxiety I was even aware of consciously.
        runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Right now, i run about 6 miles/day during the week. Most of those runs are around 8:40-9:00+ (depending on a variety of factors). I typically do a 12-mile run on the weekend. I noticed that my speed at the same heartrate gets faster the longer I run. Has anyone else noticed this?

I am 45 with 32+ years of running experience. I use 145 as my HR ceiling due to the 180-45+5. I added 5 beats because I remember reading some article (Mark Allen) that suggested an extra 5 bpm for certain people, but I can't remember why now.

Anyway, during yesterday's 12-mile run on 3 4-mile loops, my 1st loop was in 34:26, the 2nd loop was in 34:22, but I covered the 3rd loop in 33:29. I've noticed this on my other 12-mile run, and I've noticed it on 10-mile runs. My 6-mile runs get faster if I start slow. The pace for the first loop yesterday was faster than my 6-mile pace.

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced it. Other than that, MAF-type running has gone great. I've gone from virtually no running to easily running 12-mile runs and 40-mile weeks (on 5 runs due to life) with no problems. I do a lot of my runs in Nike Free 3.0 although I weigh just under 200 pounds currently. I'm looking to drop about 25 pounds as I progress.

How consistent is each mile  (HR and pace)? 

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Beginner all over again

I typically do a 12-mile run on the weekend. I noticed that my speed at the same heartrate gets faster the longer I run. Has anyone else noticed this?

I haven't been doing MAF training, but more like MAF+15, MAF+10 for over half my training

I do two short runs during the week and one Long Run on the weekend (Galloway style)

and I noticed that after about an hour, my pace remains the same but my HR comes back down to something more respectable.

I thought it was interesting too.  

yes I also notice that when running under MAF, I often get faster after a while - very slightly but consistently faster. but the HR starts out relatively low and so I think it might subtly increase...

if my HR could stay this consistent at MAF+35 then I'll be very happy in my first race that's soon to be held (and I will run MAF+35 in it)... but I somehow doubt it :P the one thing for sure is that I would get slower at higher HR's before starting MAF training. did anyone get better at this after MAF training?