Low HR Training

"Race Report & Upcoming Races" Thread (Read 7775 times)

I'm planning on trying.  I haven't decided for sure yet, but I'd like to do two more halves (probably late August and sometime in October) then shoot to BQ in November.

I'm a teacher, so I plan to use summer to build my volume up like mad again. Smile

WTG! Are you looking to BQ in your next marathon? 1:27: x x at the HM.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
    Emil Zatopek

BeeRunB

Ran the hardest (trail conditions-wise) race of my life yesterday.  Mohican's Forget the PR 50K.  The name fits--the race director is a wonderful sadist who does his best to make the course as hard as possible, putting some of the worst parts near the end (e.g., the North Rim climb).  ~5500ish feet of climbing. Rained the night before.  A lot.  Some of the course had to be rerouted (concerns of drowning if a certain river crossing was done).  Started raining before the start, kept up the whole time.

I've never had so much trouble with downhills!  The mud was deep, thick, and slippery.  I kind of lost the battle in miles 23 - 26 while the course wound up, back and forth, and through a stream inside a gorge where I fell once.  Climbing out of that (literally--think root ladder), I had second thoughts about the race.

After the loop was over, though, things were good again.  It may have been the cookies I downed at the aid station that lifted my spirits.  Did have trouble pushing as hard as I wanted to as I kept fighting against almost falling on steeper downhills.  Really happy with my finish time (5:29:34).  14th OA.  UltraSignUp had me 5:38 predicted time, and to beat it in those conditions was awesome.

Wow. nice! Great job, Gilbert!Cool

Sounds like a tough race. Especially with all that mud.

Keep going!

--Jimmy

tortoise88

First 5K of the season in the books: 21:49.  Previous PB 22:24.

Takeaways:

1.  Went out way too fast.  6:35 at 1m.  Weird thing was I was convinced I was dogging it, so that's just an adrenaline calibration issue.

2.  Need more hill workouts.  There were 2 moderately foreboding hills and I felt more wiped out than I would like.

3.  I got sick on Wednesday and didn't run at all since Tuesday morning.   Im sure the rest helped but I dont see too many training plans that say to go cold turkey for 3 days leading to a race.  More importantly I don't think I am 100% better anyway.

This was sort of a practice race: my training plan actually ends in 2 weeks when my next race is scheduled.  My game plan will be to go a leetle beet easier on mile 1 and suck it up in mile 3.  And not be sick!

-tortoise88

I'm planning on trying.  I haven't decided for sure yet, but I'd like to do two more halves (probably late August and sometime in October) then shoot to BQ in November.

I'm a teacher, so I plan to use summer to build my volume up like mad again. Smile

Man, you're a beast!  I think you're gonna BQ with ease!  I'd love to run that kind of volume someday and see what happens.

Eric

PRs:  5k - (20:42) 3/9/2013 18:55 (9/28/13)

10k - (42:42) 3/23/2013 39:11 (10/26/13) course was short @ 6.0 mi :)

10 mi - (1:12:10) 4/6/2013

HM - (1:34:38) 4/27/2013

Takeaways:

1.  Went out way too fast.  6:35 at 1m.  Weird thing was I was convinced I was dogging it, so that's just an adrenaline calibration issue.

Congrats on the PR!  What's your goal in 2 weeks?  Do you wear a gps watch on race day?  Mine keeps me honest at the beginning and the end.

Eric

Oh yeah, just so everyone has plenty of advance notice so they can wait on pins and needles for my astounding results and race report, my first ever marathon is coming up on Sunday.  The Flying Pig in Cincinnati, Ohio.   

Nathan, if you're reading this tonight, GO TO SLEEP  Smile   Hope you stay dry and have a great race!!!

Eric

tortoise88

Congrats on the PR!  What's your goal in 2 weeks?  Do you wear a gps watch on race day?  Mine keeps me honest at the beginning and the end.

Thanks!  I wore a GPS/HRM yesterday.  After I saw that my first mile was so fast, my first thought was "sweet, I hardly feel like I've been running hard - I'm breaking 21 for sure" followed by "hmm maybe I'm going to regret this...".  My second mile was at 13:40.  My GPS watch measured exactly 3.10 miles(!) so there's no correction factor based on having actually run further or not as far.  I just wasn't used to the feeling of adrenaline and how to pace myself at the beginning.  At the very start I was in a crowd so I was anxious to get past people but couldn't and once things opened up I had no muscle memory for what my normal pace was.

I don't know anything about the next race in terms of terrain, but assuming it's flat and no other special circumstances, I'm expecting to break 21:30 and hoping to get somewhat close to 21.

-tortoise88

npaden

Finished my first Marathon this past Sunday.  The Flying Pig in Cincinnati.

Official chip time was 3:48:09 with a 59 second negative split.

Wrote a novel for a race report and posted it here -

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/647ef8c8d2df40f2bdae1c741b00009e#focus

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Congrats. I knew you could do it!

PS: Temp race day 67 - 71F. Hopefully the rain will come Sunday instead of Saturday. Just checked your monthly mileage. Over 200 miles in the past 3 months. WOW! On matter how the race comes out. You put in the work. I think < 3:50 is in the bag. Temps being the only other factor.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Docket_Rocket

Great job, guys!

I did marathon/ultra # 16 in Puerto Rico this weekend.  Heat index was 100F and the dewpoint was 79F.  I finished in 5:36, more than an hour off my PR but it was hot as hell and it was not a PR attempt.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

BeeRunB

-tortoise88

Tortoise! Nice job.
                         Big grin

Great job, guys!

I did marathon/ultra # 16 in Puerto Rico this weekend.  Heat index was 100F and the dewpoint was 79F.  I finished in 5:36, more than an hour off my PR but it was hot as hell and it was not a PR attempt.

Damaris,

You are so amazing.Cool

--Jimmy

BeeRunB

Nathan,

Congratulations on a well-run first marathon! You not only finished, but performed impressively, breaking four hours. Looks like evenly split halves (1:54 each)--awesome. I really enjoyed your report—splitsahol and everything! Keep going, man! This one's for you:

http://www.crustedsalt.com/pages/crustedsalt_105.html

I'm inspired by your story. Keep going!

--JimmyCool

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

npaden

First 10K of the year.  Reality check to see if I have a snowballs chance to reach my goal of a sub 45:00 10K this year.

Weather turned out really good.  63 degrees and 84% humidity at the start, 66 degrees and 75% humidity at the finish. Wind was 6 mph SSW at the start and it was an out and back course and the wind was behind us at the start and then when we turned around to head back of course it climbed to a 16 mph headwind at the finish. Still not bad.

First couple miles felt really good.  I had told myself I was going to run those first 2 miles at a 7:40 pace, but I was feeling good and my HR was in line with where I thought it should be.  Mile 3 was getting a little harder, but not bad, just starting to actually breath a little heavy.  At the turn around, the wind had picked up more than anyone had realized, everyone was commenting that they hadn't realized the wind was helping on the way out, so when we all turned back into it it was a bit surprising.

Started to have to work for it on Mile 4.  Grabbed a cup of water at the aid station that I had passed up on the way out and took a sip and then poured the rest on my head.  To most people it probably wasn't hot, and it really wasn't, but a big guy like me heats up and I could have used 2 cups of water, but there was only one guy at the aid station and he had water in one hand and gatorade in the other so I ended up with 1 cup of water.  Started to have to really work on it here.  I'd been passing some folks with the wind against us, and my HR was climbing pretty good.  I was trying to keep my pace up, but it was work into the wind.  Started tracking down some more folks and that really helped my focus.

At mile 5 I was on the heels of a younger runner that I know, and in front of him were the #3, 4 and 5 women.  I set out to track them down. My HR was really climbing now, I wasn't sure I could sustain this to the end, but I was going to try.  When the younger runner in front of me saw me on his heels, he started to pick it up and I tried to keep after him, but he started to pull away.  We both were closing on the women in front of us, but not very quickly.  At mile 5.5 I was getting very close to max HR readings on my HRM.  I hadn't ever gotten that high with that far still to go before, but I was going to gut it out and see if I could pull it off.  When I turned the corner there was still .25 miles to go and I tried to pick it up, but it just wasn't there.  The younger guy that had been in front of me was now picking off the women in front of him, but I still had my work cut out for me, and it was looking like it might not happen.

One more turn and I could see the finish line.  About 75 yards to go.  I don't remember what the clock said, but I remember it had a 46 on the front of it and that spurred me on.  I gave it everything I had and actually picked it up a tiny bit.  I passed one of the women on the way in and went through the chute at 46:5X, but I couldn't read the last number.  Very happy and VERY tired!  I think that was close to the highest level of effort of any race so far, but I guess runners have pretty poor memories when it comes to remembering pain otherwise we wouldn't race over and over again!

Here's my splits and HR information.  Pretty flat course, the wind was helping a little at the start and against at the end, but I ended up with some pretty even splits when it was all said and done.  Could have sworn I was sprinting there at the end, but the split doesn't show it.  My max HR is 194 so I was pushing it there at the end!

Splits (GPS Interval)
                               TypeDistance Split settingsDurationTotal DurationPaceAvg HRMax HRNotes
                              1 Manual 1 mi 7:31.97 7:31.97 7:32 166 175  
                              2 Manual 1 mi 7:33.97 15:05.94 7:34 173 176  
                              3 Manual 1 mi 7:32.12 22:38.06 7:33 175 178  
                              4 Manual 1 mi 7:37.21 30:15.27 7:38 179 184  
                              5 Manual 1 mi 7:31.05 37:46.32 7:32 183 187  
                              6 Manual 1 mi 7:37.88 45:24.2 7:38 186 192  
                              7 Manual 0.21 mi 1:34.8 46:59 7:32 189 192

Don't think I could have run it any harder. Need to trim 20 seconds per mile off to go sub 45:00!  It is going to take a lot of work, but I think I might have a snowballs chance.  I ran a 54:15 on this same 10K race last year in similar conditions for an improvement of over 7 minutes and over 1:00 per mile from last year, so I have been making some serious improvement, that improvement is just slowing down now as my previous PR was from September 2012 and that was a 49:18 so I only shaved a couple minutes off that time.

I for sure think I can shave a minute off and at least have a 45:XX time.  Maybe I could justify that if I was 45 1/2 years old that I could run a 45:30 10K?  Wink

Age: 50 Weight: 224 Height: 6'3" (Goal weight 195)

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

BeeRunB

Congratulations on a new 10k PR, Nathan!

Just keep working that aerobic system and racing, and you'll be breaking 45:00 before you know it, especially in a cooler race (66° is warm). You're on a good improvement trajectory as it is.

Keep going!

--Jimmy Cool